Fiio X5 3rd gen || 2x AKM 4490 || Balanced Out || DSD || DXD | DTS | Android || Dual Card Slot
Sep 26, 2017 at 8:58 AM Post #11,598 of 15,897
Hi @New Fiio Owner,

regarding your issues with USB connections and if you still have the "patience" to try to solve it, even though I have already placed a few workarounds here in the forum, I can suggest some other workarounds;

Like I have said in that post USB connections can be really tricky, I know I had some headaches with them regarding other equipment (curiously none with the Fiio X5III)

If you want to send me a PM with every work around you have done, which Dell XPS you have and operating system; and I will check if there is any other thing I can recall so you can solve your issue :)

[EDIT: I will try to write a comprehensive guide for those with the issue if my assumptions regarding the above issue are correct]

Hi,

Sorry for the late reply, I had a little time out preparing for medical tests.

I will get around to this shortly as I am trying to catch up on a heap of things at the moment.

Thanks.

Sep 26, 2017 at 4:43 PM Post #11,601 of 15,897
Let me know guess @FiiO we have to wait after the holiday break for a firmware update?

Must admit, I now don't mind waiting for new FW but I would appreciate a heads up on what @FiiO regard as their high v low priorities & what if any new functionality we might expect on this DAP in due course. I think most people would be satisfied to wait if they were confident of what was in the pipeline and so could decide what to do.

Sep 26, 2017 at 4:55 PM Post #11,602 of 15,897
Must admit, I now don't mind waiting for new FW but I would appreciate a heads up on what @FiiO regard as their high v low priorities & what if any new functionality we might expect on this DAP in due course. I think most people would be satisfied to wait if they were confident of what was in the pipeline and so could decide what to do.
I don't wanna wait too long. These are non-user replaceable batteries. I had my player over 6 months now. And it's aging. Need new features which was advertised and stability

Sep 27, 2017 at 5:49 AM Post #11,604 of 15,897
My question is , Can Fioo X5 III be operated while charging when battery is very low
like 0% battery, or only option is to wait like 30 minuts until it has charged some?
If the battery is nearly 0%, you may need charging it for some time before turning on. The time you need to charge may depend on the current and voltage of the charger you use. The output current from the usb port of the computer is small so it may take longer time.

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Sep 27, 2017 at 6:08 AM Post #11,605 of 15,897
I recently tested the X5 III and compared to my HTC 10.
The difference in sound quality was very evident to me, the X5 III has a wider and deeper sound-stage, separation and detail.
I bought the HTC 10 earlier this year based on the very good reviews regarding sound quality and indeed it is much better that any phones I previously owned, but it can't match something like the X5 III.
Yeah... If I knew better I would have invested in this and stayed with my old Nexus 4.

Now because I can no longer invest that much on a Fiio X5 III, question is what would be the closest portable DAC/AMP that can match what I heard listening to the X5 III?
Will something like the Dragonfly Black or Red match this, or maybe Oppo HA-2?
I will use it with Momentum 2 and HD 598.

Sep 27, 2017 at 8:33 AM Post #11,606 of 15,897
I recently tested the X5 III and compared to my HTC 10.
The difference in sound quality was very evident to me, the X5 III has a wider and deeper sound-stage, separation and detail.
I bought the HTC 10 earlier this year based on the very good reviews regarding sound quality and indeed it is much better that any phones I previously owned, but it can't match something like the X5 III.
Yeah... If I knew better I would have invested in this and stayed with my old Nexus 4.

Now because I can no longer invest that much on a Fiio X5 III, question is what would be the closest portable DAC/AMP that can match what I heard listening to the X5 III?
Will something like the Dragonfly Black or Red match this, or maybe Oppo HA-2?
I will use it with Momentum 2 and HD 598.

Why run the risk of dissapointing yourself again by buying another product and wishing you had bought the FiiO?

If it was me, I would stick with the HTC for another couple of months and put the money aside for the FiiO. It took me many years to finally realise this, I have many draws and boxes full of dead tech.

Sep 27, 2017 at 9:01 AM Post #11,607 of 15,897
Why run the risk of dissapointing yourself again by buying another product and wishing you had bought the FiiO?

If it was me, I would stick with the HTC for another couple of months and put the money aside for the FiiO. It took me many years to finally realise this, I have many draws and boxes full of dead tech.

Your point is valid and I also ran into this buying and selling / discarding a lot. But this time I'll have to save 230 $ by buying the Oppo for example, or even more with a Dragonfly, IF the sound quality is the same with my headphones.

So I would appreciate if someone that has both the X5 III and the Oppo HA-2 or Dragonfly will express their impressions.

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2017 at 9:49 AM Post #11,608 of 15,897
I would save that money and get the X5III. You already know that you like it from first hand experience. The best you can get without actually auditioning the other two are people's opinions. Most of which you have no way of knowing about how well their tastes and music selection will match yours.

I have the X5III and the first edition of the HA-2. First, there are the differences in functionality. With the X5III being a full DAP with an Android OS and two micro SD card slots it quite simply is in a different category from the DAC/AMP functionality of the HA-2 (or Dragonfly for that matter). It is a single device solution for playing your music. Either of the other two will require a stack. For me, that is enough to decide it right there.

As to sound, I like both for what they are. The X5III with it's AKM DACs is a more mellow and easy to listen to sound. The ESS chips give the HA-2 a bit of a sharper and more etched sound signature. I think that they are both very good, but if you have decided that you like the sound from the X5III, with your headphone selection, you may or may not be happy with what you get from the HA-2. It is quite impossible for me to tell you if you would like the HA-2.

I can say that I use the X5III far more than my HA-2. For what that is worth.

Sep 27, 2017 at 1:21 PM Post #11,609 of 15,897
@mandrake50
Thanks, you're right. I won't buy anything without testing first.
The HA-2 and Dragonfly were also available at the showroom where I tested the Fiio, but I was there to test/buy the Momentum 2, and the employee suggested I should also test a better source and compare to my phone. I didn't expect the difference to be that big, but it was...
I had no usb-c cable to also test the oppo with my phone.

Sep 27, 2017 at 2:16 PM Post #11,610 of 15,897

I can say that I use the X5III far more than my HA-2. For what that is worth.

I will echo this comment, substituting "Dragonfly USB" for the "HA-2".

While I've enjoyed the sound from both DF Red & Black, heck even my Chord Mojo, it doesn't beat a single solution DAP. The most annoying thing I've found with the phone + USB DAC/AMP combo is battery drain. Not to mention the interruptions of SMS texts, phone calls, and notifications if for some reason you need to have those enabled while listening to music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back