Fiio X5 3rd gen || 2x AKM 4490 || Balanced Out || DSD || DXD | DTS | Android || Dual Card Slot
Sep 24, 2017 at 5:43 AM Post #11,567 of 15,899
You have TURBO version of X5III. :) Hard to believe that he can handle in full HD800. Mine can't.

It all depends on how you listen and what you listen.

At around 90-95 out of 120 in low gain is enough for me with the HD800 to listen to classical music and jazz (that is mainly what i listen to) whit flat eq.

This should be enough for most listeners.

I did say also in my post that should someone want to use the X5III with large headphones it is better to do thorough an amplifier such as the A5.

The problem of headroom is not so much evident if you listen in moderate volumes, it becomes serious if you are listening loud to music with little compression and wide dynamic range. I have not experienced any such problems though.

You might be listening too loud with eq.

Sep 24, 2017 at 7:43 AM Post #11,568 of 15,899
It all depends on how you listen and what you listen.

At around 90-95 out of 120 in low gain is enough for me with the HD800 to listen to classical music and jazz (that is mainly what i listen to) whit flat eq.

This should be enough for most listeners.

I did say also in my post that should someone want to use the X5III with large headphones it is better to do thorough an amplifier such as the A5.

The problem of headroom is not so much evident if you listen in moderate volumes, it becomes serious if you are listening loud to music with little compression and wide dynamic range. I have not experienced any such problems though.

You might be listening too loud with eq.

Sennheiser HD800 are power hungry high impedance headphones. You should use High gain with them. But even with high gain by my opinion X5III have not enough power to drive them properly. And all that not about loudness - response, speed, imaging.
P.s. Was listening without EQ.

Sep 24, 2017 at 8:00 AM Post #11,570 of 15,899
Sennheiser HD800 are power hungry high impedance headphones. You should use High gain with them. But even with high gain by my opinion X5III have not enough power to drive them properly. And all that not about loudness - response, speed, imaging.
P.s. Was listening without EQ.

I know what HD800's are i have a pair for 7 years now.

And i think i was perfectly clear on what i said.

You dissagree this is noted, and i have nothing to add my friend

Sep 24, 2017 at 8:04 AM Post #11,571 of 15,899
There is no frequency change with the F9 going to balanced - I've measured them. And on the X5iii you don't get the same increase in voltage and overall power you get from most balanced set-ups. In fact you get slightly less. So lets look at the other specs.

Remember how balanced is always "cleaner", "darker", "more spacious", "wider sound-stage" ....... :) Lets look at cleaner first. SNR on SE is 115 dB and on balanced is 111 dB (actually worse). But both are beyond what we can hear - so no real difference. Both have THD+N measurements at 0.003% = well beyond our hearing. You'll get a magnitude more distortion from your earphones. Now the important one - crosstalk (channel separation). SE is 73 dB and balanced is 98 dB. That must make a big difference - right?

I'm going to quote something bookmarked a long time ago:

As you can see, SE crosstalk at 73 dB and balanced at 98 dB actually means nothing - we can't hear it.

What essentially happens is two things.
  1. People read the specs, and tell themselves balanced must sound better, and thats what they talk themselves into. In a blind volume matched test, they won't tell a difference.
  2. Most people don't volume match, and we are terrible at volume matching by ear (which is what a lot of people do). Most balanced circuits output a lot more power by design - therefore they are louder. People saying they hear a difference are often simply listening to one louder than the other. And we know louder is perceived as sounding better.
There are two other possibilities for differences:
  • The balanced circuit actually sounds better by design (unlikely given FiiO's expertise)
  • Impedance mismatch can affect frequency response for multi-BA driver set-ups (rarely happens with dynamics). You'll note the 1 ohm (SE) vs 3 ohm (bal) output. he F9 is 28 ohms, and as I said - no change in frequency response curves.

My advice - don't go balanced for the sake of going balanced, and not with the X5iii. The 2.5mm port is nice if you have a cable you prefer to use and it happens to be balanced. On the X7ii its a different matter as the balanced out is more powerful, and will actually drive 300 ohm headphones pretty well. So if you're planning on driving an HD600 for example - thats where the balanced on the X7ii would come in handy.

On x5 3rd gen the balanced isnt necessary and difference isnt night and day... but on my hifiman headphones, soundstage is way way wider and wont use it nonbalanced....even on fiio f5...but i wont cut my hand for balanced on the go...

Sep 24, 2017 at 8:13 AM Post #11,572 of 15,899
I am using the balanced cable on the F9 with the X5III and it sounds amazing.

Have to agree, the synergy between the two is incredible, particularly given the price of the F9's. Getting the right ear tip is crucial; having tried various foam tips, spin fits, dual flange tips and Fiio's own, I settled on Fiio's dual colour (bass filter?) tips for the best sound. I know this combination works 'cos when I looked at the time it was 02.15am! :ksc75smile:

Am using F9's balanced because - well, because I can! I have a healthy dislike of remotes on cables, as I suspect they may affect the purity of the sound - or am I being irrational here?

Sep 24, 2017 at 8:21 AM Post #11,573 of 15,899
Am also listening to the Fiio with HE400i headphones and the X5iii drives them at reasonable volume without breaking sweat. Another great combination, good, well-defined bass, excellent mids and smooth, sweet treble.

Sep 24, 2017 at 10:05 AM Post #11,574 of 15,899
Have to agree, the synergy between the two is incredible, particularly given the price of the F9's. Getting the right ear tip is crucial; having tried various foam tips, spin fits, dual flange tips and Fiio's own, I settled on Fiio's dual colour (bass filter?) tips for the best sound. I know this combination works 'cos when I looked at the time it was 02.15am! :ksc75smile:

Am using F9's balanced because - well, because I can! I have a healthy dislike of remotes on cables, as I suspect they may affect the purity of the sound - or am I being irrational here?

I do not like audio controls either. I do not believe you are being irrational, what I believe illogical is investing in an expensive high purity cable and then breaking it to place inline switches and solder joints.

Sep 24, 2017 at 10:19 AM Post #11,575 of 15,899
Help. What is the "leather" case that was mentioned way back for the X5iii and the A5? I bought the FIIO stacking kit and it is very, very flimsy with the rubber bands (did I say very flimsy already?)

Sep 24, 2017 at 10:24 AM Post #11,576 of 15,899
Help. What is the "leather" case that was mentioned way back for the X5iii and the A5? I bought the FIIO stacking kit and it is very, very flimsy with the rubber bands (did I say very flimsy already?)

http://tuff-luv.com/faux-leather-case-cover-for-fiio-x5-iii-3rd-gen-a5-e12-amp-v1-2-mp3-black.html

upload_2017-9-24_15-23-50.jpeg

Sep 24, 2017 at 3:33 PM Post #11,577 of 15,899
I know what HD800's are i have a pair for 7 years now.

And i think i was perfectly clear on what i said.

You dissagree this is noted, and i have nothing to add my friend

We all have different ears :) Just let me give you idea to try - with HD800 try High gain and lower volume. I am sure there will be some change in sound for good. Hope, you will enjoy.

Sep 24, 2017 at 7:56 PM Post #11,578 of 15,899
I do not like audio controls either. I do not believe you are being irrational, what I believe illogical is investing in an expensive high purity cable and then breaking it to place inline switches and solder joints.

Given that they both give the exact same frequency repsonse, and sound exactly the same (to me anyway), I wouldn't sweat the small stuff. But thats just me :wink:

Sep 24, 2017 at 9:14 PM Post #11,579 of 15,899
The only thing about the X5iii I still don't like is the awful way it handles albums with Various Artists. FIX that and I will be a happy camper. Tired of having to retag music to fit into that odd handling.
Foobar2000 is handling my Various Artists to my liking. @FiiO you might want to take a look at how they are doing the sorts. I have compilation checked in the tag.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back