Fiio X5 3rd gen || 2x AKM 4490 || Balanced Out || DSD || DXD | DTS | Android || Dual Card Slot
Aug 21, 2017 at 5:55 PM Post #10,996 of 15,897
It is officially bizarre that it works for you and not others.

No, it's not bizarre. Just checked again and now I have same problem. When set to 24 hour clock both main display and inset display on lock screen match. However, when 12 hour clock set, the main display shows 24 hour, the inset 12 hour. Only way to get them to match is setting the Fiio to 24 hour clock. Hopefully, this will be rectified in next FW update.

Aug 21, 2017 at 7:42 PM Post #10,997 of 15,897
No, it's not bizarre. Just checked again and now I have same problem. When set to 24 hour clock both main display and inset display on lock screen match. However, when 12 hour clock set, the main display shows 24 hour, the inset 12 hour. Only way to get them to match is setting the Fiio to 24 hour clock. Hopefully, this will be rectified in next FW update.
It's been doing this since I first had the X5, I mentioned it to FIIO early on and it really wasn't important enough to keep at them. I guess they felt the same way.

Aug 21, 2017 at 9:20 PM Post #10,998 of 15,897
I'll have to test more then. I've not been using the X5iii much since it got mad at me actually trying to use my 256GB card with more than 200GB of music. Silly player... where is the Rockbox firmware to correct all this silliness?

Aug 21, 2017 at 9:36 PM Post #10,999 of 15,897
you, my friend, have been jinxed.

Aug 21, 2017 at 11:50 PM Post #11,000 of 15,897
I'll have to test more then. I've not been using the X5iii much since it got mad at me actually trying to use my 256GB card with more than 200GB of music. Silly player... where is the Rockbox firmware to correct all this silliness?

Do sobgs cut out and glitch before they stop playing altogether? Do the songs disappear the moment you check the card? It's happening on mine and I can't seem to fix it. Tried nearly everything.

Should I go back to the previous firmware update?

Aug 22, 2017 at 5:49 AM Post #11,001 of 15,897
Sure, so i press the menu buttton then the "heart" icon (to add to favorite) :

X5bug6.png

then i get this message :

X5bug7.png
Ok, we will fix it soon. Thanks for reporting.

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Aug 22, 2017 at 5:57 AM Post #11,002 of 15,897
I've set the time to use the 12 hour format; however, on the fiio music screen that appears after no activity (not sure what to call it) it still shows up using the 24 hour format. Am missing something?

Also, FIIO any news on the implementation of replaygain and a new sorting methodology? Also, is support of multiple tags possible?

Seems to be more than one lock screen on this device, sometimes you get a correct clock and other times when it locks while music playing you get this one.

Dear friend,

You are talking about this lock screen as @MinnieOne mentioned? If yes, we could try to let the hour format stays same in both the status bar and lock screen.
We are not sure about the replaygain currently, sorry.

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Aug 22, 2017 at 12:22 PM Post #11,004 of 15,897
Isn't replaygain already available in viper settings with the X5 (for free) ?

Are you thinking of the effect titled "Playback Gain Control" if so, I do not think that is the same as RG.

FIIO thanks for your reply - I would encourage you to implement RG as it seems to be a basic feature for a quality player. I believe in the X7ii thread there are posts discussing the need for RG.

As a sidebar I would note that my first FIIO product was a X1 and it was the addition of RG to the firmware that inspired me to jump on the FIIO bandwagon. I have since purchased three other FIIO DAPS and a FIIO amp. The original x7 had no appeal to me because of its limited storage. The X5ii and the X7ii both have a large amount of storage but the software hasn't kept pace with the hardware. Large collections need RG and proper sorting. Third party apps are a partial solution but render "Pure Music mode" useless.

Aug 22, 2017 at 12:40 PM Post #11,005 of 15,897
Are you thinking of the effect titled "Playback Gain Control" if so, I do not think that is the same as RG.

FIIO thanks for your reply - I would encourage you to implement RG as it seems to be a basic feature for a quality player. I believe in the X7ii thread there are posts discussing the need for RG.

As a sidebar I would note that my first FIIO product was a X1 and it was the addition of RG to the firmware that inspired me to jump on the FIIO bandwagon. I have since purchased three other FIIO DAPS and a FIIO amp. The original x7 had no appeal to me because of its limited storage. The X5ii and the X7ii both have a large amount of storage but the software hasn't kept pace with the hardware. Large collections need RG and proper sorting. Third party apps are a partial solution but render "Pure Music mode" useless.

As far as I understand the explanation of viper playback gain control the effect seems similar to common replaygain .

Aug 22, 2017 at 1:47 PM Post #11,006 of 15,897
As far as I understand the explanation of viper playback gain control the effect seems similar to common replaygain .

I'll have to try it tonight. This description makes it seem to be slightly different than replay gain.

2. Playback Gain Control :
It is mainly used to dynamically control the audiovolume, to amplify or to attenuate.
(1) Enable checkbox : Whether the effect is enabled.
(2) Select Effect Strength : Effect Strength is the speed of amplification or attenuation, the stronger the faster the speed and the higher the final volume, the weaker the slower the speed, the closer to the original volume. Recommended medium.
(3) Max Gain : When the volume of the note is too small, in order to uplevel the sound, there may be very large magnification. The higher the value, the louder the volume. But too large will also amplify the noise within the song. Recommended 4 times.
(4) Max Output : This value defines the maximum volume of the PlaybackAGC sound in decibel value, the greater the value the greater the volume, 0 db is the maximum. In order to make the sound softer recommended -1.9 dB.

On the fiio site on 4-14-17 there is a discussion regarding viper and replay gain as well as posts by fiio stating they [at least at that date] intended to add rg.

Aug 22, 2017 at 4:42 PM Post #11,009 of 15,897
I tried updated Neutron. It works perfectly up to 24/192. I'm very happy. I appreciate @jokobuba and Neutron developer.

Hello, any news from Fiio? Was your mail/mails answered? I asked Neutron about DSD/DSD128 support for next v.
And thanks, only with Your help works this music player with higher frq than 48khz....

Hi

It can be after 3rd of September due to ongoing summer holidays. Will provide you a dev version asap once it ready.

Best regards,
Dmitry.

Aug 22, 2017 at 9:06 PM Post #11,010 of 15,897
I guess the reason I am unsure if playback gain is the same is that there is no mention of reading tags or 'track' or 'album' settings.
Typically something like vipers gain control uses some kind of loudness compensation that will try to make all files play at the same level per the settings. This can mean both gain and compression. Replay gain uses a more complex algorithm based on psycho acoustics. It is standardized and well known. The tags that are applied for each song or album are calculated when doing a scan and attached to each track (or album) The they are read and applied upon playback. This kind of specificity cannot be achieved using a "one size fits all" preset. Regardless of what it does under the hood, unless it scans each song before playback ( I am pretty sure that there is not enough computational power to do this in real time) and adjusts levels in a complex manner (not a preset determined by the user), it cannot be as effective as Replay Gain is.

Does anyone really want further compression to many modern recordings that have already had most of the dynamic range wrung out of them?

I know that I do not!!

BTW, it took until almost the end of software development on the X5 II before Fiio got RG working for that system.

EDIT. Here is a quote from a guy that took the time to write a tutorial on Viper. Of course it is an opinion, but judging by the descriptions of what is going on, it matches well with what I would expect from a "compander" system...
"PlaybackAGC: Not too useful for most music and seems to over-do the compression but can be very useful for spoken word or audiobooks to level out the volume (normalise). Usually 2x or 3x is enough"

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back