Fiio X5 3rd gen || 2x AKM 4490 || Balanced Out || DSD || DXD | DTS | Android || Dual Card Slot
Aug 17, 2017 at 1:58 PM Post #10,951 of 15,897
I'd suspect a hit to battery life. You are powering up a "mechanical" drive and keeping the platters spinning.
Oh yeah sorry I meant in reply to "just uninstall google play services and it is done" that uninstalling apps that are doing things in the background may increase battery life..
But yes powering a "mechanical" drive really drains devices twice as fast almost.

Aug 17, 2017 at 1:58 PM Post #10,952 of 15,897
Thankyou so much! thats so good, Im debating the X7II too so Im guessing the X7 MkII will also do this, would have to wait to save for that player!

Are you using a Power supply with splitter cable ?
Thanks

here i use a Lexar SSD (512gb) that works very well with the X5 III only my cabling setup is bothering me (OTG microusb to USBA then another cable USBA to USB-C) so i'm looking for a microUSB->USBC otg cable that would work (i tried 3 different with no luck).

this is the SSD :

$_58.JPG

another downside is the battery, this ssd sucks it out very quickly,
Among the good things, Fiio Music allows to build my library including the SSD :-D

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2017 at 4:30 PM Post #10,955 of 15,897
Thanks for the suggestions, but the options are already set.

It happens when I pause the song. Usually the app crashes (yeah, another issue...) and sometimes (lately quite often) it seems the sd card 2 looses connection (I see the floating red icon). For me it takes more time to reconnect (more then 10 seconds) and annoyingly I loose in Queue the added folders from sd2 (need to insert them back again).
hmm...i would try... resetting the device to factory defaults, maybe in recovery deleting dalvik.... if its the same...
updating manualy older firmware with firmware tool, trying apps...then instal manualy from sd card newest firmware... if it is the same...

i would try- maybe at first - sd card 1 with the sdcard holder - try it in slot 2 - maybe a hw/mechanical problem?
hope you make it work, nice evening/day

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2017 at 9:48 AM Post #10,957 of 15,897
that's what i do, but anyone know if there's a way to power/charge the X5 III while using the OTG ? like a splitter cable or something ?
Technically this is possible, however you need to find the right kind of cables IMO.

Aug 18, 2017 at 11:00 AM Post #10,958 of 15,897
Technically this is possible, however you need to find the right kind of cables IMO.

Actually i've been looking for such cables for quite an amount of time today and all the cables i have found won't power the X5 III but they will power the SSD, which is not what i'm looking for. All splitter cables are designed to power the external device, not the host. It was said it's simply not possible to charge a device such as the X5 III or smartphones while they are using OTG function.

Aug 18, 2017 at 11:22 AM Post #10,959 of 15,897
Actually i've been looking for such cables for quite an amount of time today and all the cables i have found won't power the X5 III but they will power the SSD, which is not what i'm looking for. All splitter cables are designed to power the external device, not the host. It was said it's simply not possible to charge a device such as the X5 III or smartphones while they are using OTG function.
I think can be done with Apple devices with the lightning connection and the right adaptors but I'd suspect not on USB2 OTG (maybe in later USB standards).

Aug 18, 2017 at 11:41 AM Post #10,960 of 15,897
Is it a possibility to interface it with an adapter to the mSD card slot? One of those flexible circuits available on aliexpress or something similar?

Aug 18, 2017 at 1:38 PM Post #10,961 of 15,897

I believe you are mostly correct. With a simple cable in OTG fashion connected to the HDD, you have 4 wires. 2x data, 1 Ground and 1 5v. The HDD needs to see all 4 of those cables in order to be powered up and complete the handshake. If you switch off the 5v and Gnd to another device, the X5iii will start to charge, but the HDD will power down and lose connection. I believe the "best" we could do is add a battery pack that will power the HDD and not draw power from the X5iii. There is only 1 company that I know of that has made a modification that allows an OTG device to both charge and connect to data. That is Pluggable and it was designed for the Dell Venue 8 as a Dock. Now. a Battery back that is the size of the HDD and outputs 2x USB 2.0 plugs might work... if both devices are connected to the batterypack for 5v and GND and only the Data leads are patched through to the HDD. That would be an interesting test. I'd almost be willing to build the cables to test it (will have to purchase more USB A plugs and a Battery pack though). Is it worth all this effort though?

I wonder if this PowerBank would suffice? I want something thin of course.
https://www.amazon.com/Polanfo-Comp...F8&qid=1503078412&sr=1-27&keywords=power+bank

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2017 at 3:51 PM Post #10,962 of 15,897
@FiiO

Even with the recent Firmware update on my X5 3rd Gen, the Fiio Music App still have issues playing any song from the Second MicroSD Card slot. Even I pause a song from the Second MicroSD Card slot, it will freeze and restart the app always in both Pure Music Mode and in Android Mode. Even resetting the Database, rescaning the music libary, and chaning the MicroSD card petition doesn't solve the problem. This is not a hardware issue since I use Foobar2000 in Android mode and it works just fine with no issues. Any assistance would help!

Aug 18, 2017 at 9:04 PM Post #10,963 of 15,897
@FiiO

Even with the recent Firmware update on my X5 3rd Gen, the Fiio Music App still have issues playing any song from the Second MicroSD Card slot. Even I pause a song from the Second MicroSD Card slot, it will freeze and restart the app always in both Pure Music Mode and in Android Mode. Even resetting the Database, rescaning the music libary, and chaning the MicroSD card petition doesn't solve the problem. This is not a hardware issue since I use Foobar2000 in Android mode and it works just fine with no issues. Any assistance would help!
I'd do a re flash as that seems to clear up some issues. FIIO sent me this link for it https://www.dropbox.com/s/k96kq9xjzwtb86v/FW1.1.7.rar?dl=0

Aug 18, 2017 at 10:23 PM Post #10,965 of 15,897

Users who are viewing this thread

Back