Fiio X5 3rd gen || 2x AKM 4490 || Balanced Out || DSD || DXD | DTS | Android || Dual Card Slot
Jan 13, 2017 at 7:41 AM Post #1,069 of 15,897
I think you have mistaken how long X7 has been in the market with how long the X7's beta firmware has been in development. While X7 has already been in the market since late 2015, it was first released with Android 4.4.4 and subsequently all the early bug-fixes and firmware update are meant for 4.4.4. The last firmware that is based on 4.4.4., the FW2.0, is actually stable enough with all the basic features working just fine. The current beta firmware (FW3.0+) is actually based on Android 5.1.1 and it is a completely new firmware when compared to the old 4.4.4. based firmware because: (1) First of, Google made a big change in Android architecture between 4x to 5x. (2) Secondly, to solve some of the issue and limitation of 4.4.4., FiiO has to rewrite the audio driver from the ground up in 5.1.1. Note that in FW2.0 and below, only FiiO music app can take advantage of the DAC's full potential while other app is limited by Google's internal SRC. But in 5.1.1 based FW3.0+, all apps have access to the full potential of the DAC without any limitation from the SRC anymore. (3) Lastly, because all the changes involving Android 4.4.4 to 5.1.1. and the new audio driver, all the previous update and bugfix meant for FW2.0 and below no longer apply to FW3.0+. So basically speaking, X7 running on beta firmware (FW3.0+) as well as X5III are completely new project for FiiO - and it only started since October last year. So realistically speaking, it is almost a brand new, 3 months old new system that still need some TLC before it will be as stable as FW2.0.

I think people start to read about all the recent issue regarding FW3.0+ and start to question why a > 1yrs old DAP still has so much problem, but they forgot that it is all a matter of perspective from a limited POV and not because FiiO isn't doing enough to address issue since X7 was released. In fact, I think people should really give FiiO some credit for moving from the relative safety of the stable FW2.0 to the brand new and buggy FW3.0+ in the name of bring new features and functionality to the user.

Haven't done any extensive test on RFI from cellphone or WiFi, though I didn't notice any from daily use.

Just so you know, FW 2.0 was incomplete, it did not have all the features that were advertised, and everyone using. It kept getting a "google play services has stopped" notification constantly, from every few minutes to every few seconds. In fact, it go so bad recently that most people that were adamant on sticking with 2.0 were forced to switch to the beta. 2.0 was not the version of android that FiiO had even planned to implement, they originally planned on using kitkat but the software company they originally hired to customize the software decided they wanted more cash for the job, and FiiO decided to scrap that contract and develop the android UI themselves, which is why it's taking them so long. I remember reading this from a post James made, if I'm wrong anywhere FiiO please correct me.

All in all, the firmware and version of android the X7 is running is its originally intended firmware, and it's still in beta. Yes, FiiO obviously deserves credit for the hard work and recent innovations, but they also need some criticism for deciding to release a product that they know doesn't have stable software. Honestly I just hope I have a less frustrating time with this product than I did with the X7

Jan 13, 2017 at 7:54 AM Post #1,070 of 15,897
  @JamesFiiO Any idea when it will arrive in Japan? Looking forward to try/buy it when it becomes available!

Lycosa777, the X5 3rd gen may be released into the global market in Feb.if everything goes smoothly.

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Jan 13, 2017 at 8:38 AM Post #1,071 of 15,897
@FiiO@JamesFiiO

Is Fiio X5 3rd gen a network player? I would like to be able to play files from my PC through Wifi to this device which will be connected to active-moitors. 
and the second Q. can i use the player while is connected to the charger (for example like phone)?

Jan 13, 2017 at 9:41 AM Post #1,073 of 15,897
  @FiiO@JamesFiiO

Is Fiio X5 3rd gen a network player? I would like to be able to play files from my PC through Wifi to this device which will be connected to active-moitors. 
and the second Q. can i use the player while is connected to the charger (for example like phone)?

X5III supports DLNA and yes, you can use it while connect to a USB charger.

Jan 13, 2017 at 12:11 PM Post #1,074 of 15,897

Might just be my experience but my favorite band/singers have some averagae sounding songs, produced/mastered under Warner.

Just in regards to the X5III tour, I assume that the test units have already been released?

The tour units have not yet been released. 

Warner is a great reording studio and they have great artists

But it's still a niche compared to the entirety of all the music out there - if MQA supports only warner based artists and it costs a lot to implement it still is a bit nichy to say the least. But I think that everyone will love at least one warner signed artist and their recording quality and conditions are awesome. 

Jan 13, 2017 at 12:30 PM Post #1,075 of 15,897
I am one of the unfortunate owners of Fiio X5iii. This player is extremely unreliable, the quality control of the products are terrible and my X5 suffers many manufacturing defects, including touchscreen failure and faulty memory. The Fiio stock music player cannot scan the music library properly. The twin operating mode is a joke. There are serious compatibiity problem with third party streaming and music playing app. The internal storage for installing apps is restricted to less than 1GB despite it advertising 32GB. There battery drains like a monster and after half hour of turning on (not playing music because it won't) and it becomes very hot.

Jan 13, 2017 at 12:33 PM Post #1,076 of 15,897
I am one of the unfortunate owners of Fiio X5iii. This player is extremely unreliable, the quality control of the products are terrible and my X5 suffers many manufacturing defects, including touchscreen failure and faulty memory. The Fiio stock music player cannot scan the music library properly. The twin operating mode is a joke. There are serious compatibiity problem with third party streaming and music playing app. The internal storage for installing apps is restricted to less than 1GB despite it advertising 32GB. There battery drains like a monster and after half hour of turning on (not playing music because it won't) and it becomes very hot.

If it's not available to the market, where did you get one from? 

P.S. - X5iii has not reached Romania yet, not even a demo unit.

Jan 13, 2017 at 12:36 PM Post #1,077 of 15,897

try update firmware and see

Jan 13, 2017 at 12:47 PM Post #1,078 of 15,897
try update firmware and see

+

Also factory reset fixes some of the problems that can appear in X7 - might work well for X5-3 

So as X7 and X5-3 share the same firmware - I tested an X7 today. In depth. 

What can I say about it? 

It worked well enough for me. Except for the pauses when inserting headphones or taking them out, X7 was stable for me. I had only one 0.5 seconds of noise incident in 3 hours or so of abusing it in every possible way, apps, internet, music, dock with K5, line out and other tests. All in all, X7 should be fully stable for day to day usage and if X5-3 uses the same FW, it should be stable too! 

The x7 I tested was running Android lolipop, not sure if absolutely the last version, but quite a recent one. 

Jan 13, 2017 at 1:24 PM Post #1,079 of 15,897
If it's not available to the market, where did you get one from? 

P.S. - X5iii has not reached Romania yet, not even a demo unit.

It's available, just not globally yet. Ive seen several international retailers have them on their websites. That doesn't mean it's available, but I'd imagine they are for sale from some of them.

Jan 13, 2017 at 1:31 PM Post #1,080 of 15,897
I think you have mistaken how long X7 has been in the market with how long the X7's beta firmware has been in development. While X7 has already been in the market since late 2015, it was first released with Android 4.4.4 and subsequently all the early bug-fixes and firmware update are meant for 4.4.4. The last firmware that is based on 4.4.4., the FW2.0, is actually stable enough with all the basic features working just fine. The current beta firmware (FW3.0+) is actually based on Android 5.1.1 and it is a completely new firmware when compared to the old 4.4.4. based firmware because: (1) First of, Google made a big change in Android architecture between 4x to 5x. (2) Secondly, to solve some of the issue and limitation of 4.4.4., FiiO has to rewrite the audio driver from the ground up in 5.1.1. Note that in FW2.0 and below, only FiiO music app can take advantage of the DAC's full potential while other app is limited by Google's internal SRC. But in 5.1.1 based FW3.0+, all apps have access to the full potential of the DAC without any limitation from the SRC anymore. (3) Lastly, because all the changes involving Android 4.4.4 to 5.1.1. and the new audio driver, all the previous update and bugfix meant for FW2.0 and below no longer apply to FW3.0+. So basically speaking, X7 running on beta firmware (FW3.0+) as well as X5III are completely new project for FiiO - and it only started since October last year. So realistically speaking, it is almost a brand new, 3 months old new system that still need some TLC before it will be as stable as FW2.0.

I think people start to read about all the recent issue regarding FW3.0+ and start to question why a > 1yrs old DAP still has so much problem, but they forgot that it is all a matter of perspective from a limited POV and not because FiiO isn't doing enough to address issue since X7 was released. In fact, I think people should really give FiiO some credit for moving from the relative safety of the stable FW2.0 to the brand new and buggy FW3.0+ in the name of bring new features and functionality to the user.

Haven't done any extensive test on RFI from cellphone or WiFi, though I didn't notice any from daily use.

I've read the X7 thread and continue to follow it, but it is still a work in progress regardless. I stand by my comments and hope the X5III isn't a work in progress for over a year like the X7.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back