Fiio X5 3rd gen || 2x AKM 4490 || Balanced Out || DSD || DXD | DTS | Android || Dual Card Slot
Jun 15, 2017 at 6:15 PM Post #9,856 of 15,897
Today I received the two cases that I ordered from Tuff-Luv. Shipping was pretty quick (2 days from London, UK to Waterloo, ON, Canada) but I got dinged for $29 in duty. The cases are feel like they are of good quality and workmanship. Each case also came with a screen protector. The X5III case feels and looks like it is made of thicker material and is, thus, actually larger than the X5III/A5 case. The fit in both cases is tight without being onerous.

Sadly, it looks like I won't be able to use the X5III/A5 case as I had hoped as it is designed to hold the A5 oriented with its connection ports at the opposite end from where the X5III connections are. So I'd have to replace the stock interconnect cable that came with the A5 with some other, longer cable that can wrap around the case. I'm pretty disappoint in that.

Nice!

Those cases look really snuggly!

I'm sorry to hear that you;re not able to use them together though. I wonder if they would correct their mistake if you let them know about it though.

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2017 at 8:29 PM Post #9,857 of 15,897
Today I received the two cases that I ordered from Tuff-Luv. Shipping was pretty quick (2 days from London, UK to Waterloo, ON, Canada) but I got dinged for $29 in duty. The cases are feel like they are of good quality and workmanship. Each case also came with a screen protector. The X5III case feels and looks like it is made of thicker material and is, thus, actually larger than the X5III/A5 case. The fit in both cases is tight without being onerous.

Sadly, it looks like I won't be able to use the X5III/A5 case as I had hoped as it is designed to hold the A5 oriented with its connection ports at the opposite end from where the X5III connections are. So I'd have to replace the stock interconnect cable that came with the A5 with some other, longer cable that can wrap around the case. I'm pretty disappointed in that.

That's a really stupid thing to do on the part of the manufacturer of the case. The case looks good though.

Jun 15, 2017 at 10:08 PM Post #9,858 of 15,897
I wonder if yours are CIEM which sealed perfectly?

No. My Oriolus Mk2 is an universal IEM, though I found the spiral dots tip provide pretty good seal.

I realised that a specific album with AIFF requires louder volume at 45-50 (which is lower in volume in recording?), but the rest of the recording in ALAC (ripped from CD using Itunes) requires just 35-40 while the DSF files tend to be louder and i will turn down volume to 35.

I am using them in quiet listening and not during traveling on bus or train, so the volume is probably lower.

Jun 15, 2017 at 10:19 PM Post #9,859 of 15,897
That's a really stupid thing to do on the part of the manufacturer of the case. The case looks good though.

That is kinda mind blowing.
How epic of a F up is that? I would call them out and save a bunch of other folks from sitting pissed and angry realizing they went off dimensions and not orientation. That's refund time.

Jun 16, 2017 at 10:34 AM Post #9,861 of 15,897
Just did a long audition today with my friend's AK300 (also with AKM4490 dac) vs my X5III.

Have to say, they sound quite similar in sound signature (probably due to similar DAC), but AK300 sounds nicer to me than my X5III. More energetic, and more detailed. Both warm sounding, but AK300 is more fun sounding.

This is done with balanced output from both AK300 and X5III. AK300 burned in for longer time than my X5III.

This is just comparing on sound quality alone and my own preference, though we are all aware of the double in price, and without full Android.

Have to give it to AK. A single DAC can be tuned to sound better than the dual DAC of the X5III.

Not tempted to change though, as X5III provides much more features for its price. Quite close in sound quality to AK300. Not bad at all!

Jun 16, 2017 at 10:40 AM Post #9,862 of 15,897
Just did a long audition today with my friend's AK300 (also with AKM4490 dac) vs my X5III.

Have to say, they sound quite similar in sound signature (probably due to similar DAC), but AK300 sounds nicer to me than my X5III. More energetic, and more detailed. Both warm sounding, but AK300 is more fun sounding.

This is done with balanced output from both AK300 and X5III. AK300 burned in for longer time than my X5III.

This is just comparing on sound quality alone and my own preference, though we are all aware of the double in price, and without full Android.

Have to give it to AK. A single DAC can be tuned to sound better than the dual DAC of the X5III.

Not tempted to change though, as X5III provides much more features for its price. Quite close in sound quality to AK300. Not bad at all!
I'm also guilty of this. Aune M1S only has one ES 9018K2M (Different chips tho) I actually love the black magic Aune did on this!
But it lacks all features X5III has. Wifi/Bluetooth/Dual SD Slots/Touchscreen, very nice features! Soundwise I prefer M1S or even Shanling M5 with single 4490 (Also lacks all side features)

tbh X5III still is a good bargain for it's price range featurewise and not easily to look away from :p

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2017 at 10:40 AM Post #9,863 of 15,897

Well I hope it is twice as good seeing as its twice the price.

Jun 16, 2017 at 11:04 AM Post #9,865 of 15,897
Today I received the two cases that I ordered from Tuff-Luv. Shipping was pretty quick (2 days from London, UK to Waterloo, ON, Canada) but I got dinged for $29 in duty. The cases feel like they are of good quality and workmanship. Each case also came with a screen protector. The X5III case feels and looks like it is made of thicker material and is, thus, actually larger than the X5III/A5 case. The fit in both cases is tight without being onerous.

Sadly, it looks like I won't be able to use the X5III/A5 case as I had hoped as it is designed to hold the A5 oriented with its connection ports at the opposite end from where the X5III connections are. So I'd have to replace the stock interconnect cable that came with the A5 with some other, longer cable that can wrap around the case. I'm pretty disappointed in that.

Hi,

I received my cases yesterday. I ordered the standard case without AMP, both in Black PU and Brown Vintage Leather, I wish the black one was real leather, however, it is a very good quality PU Leather. The bonus, I received a 33% discount and delivery within 3 days. 01.jpg 02.jpg 03.jpg 04.jpg 05.jpg

Jun 16, 2017 at 11:09 AM Post #9,866 of 15,897
and the Fiio has 10 x more firmware issues, so do you want lower price or stable unit that does what the company advertises? everyone makes their choice and why is it a bad thing if they do?

Have had my X5iii since end of January and never had a single issue stated on here. Every single fw from the original and I never lost my spotify, music, nothing. Not one single time.

Jun 16, 2017 at 11:56 AM Post #9,867 of 15,897
Have had my X5iii since end of January and never had a single issue stated on here. Every single fw from the original and I never lost my spotify, music, nothing. Not one single time.

I passed on X5iii because of a past Fiio product and its firmware issues. my statement was more of a generalization than specific. When a product is in development I expect many firmware iterations, when I purchase it I expect a stable product. That is my way of viewing things. I'm tired of being a paying tester of Hi tech gadgetry. Did it for a long time and now all I want is something that works as advertised. If the Fiio X5iii is a stable product I might give it a try, but at the pace that "new" versions are issued my brain wont allow my wallet to click buy

Jun 16, 2017 at 12:26 PM Post #9,868 of 15,897
I passed on X5iii because of a past Fiio product and its firmware issues. my statement was more of a generalization than specific. When a product is in development I expect many firmware iterations, when I purchase it I expect a stable product. That is my way of viewing things. I'm tired of being a paying tester of Hi tech gadgetry. Did it for a long time and now all I want is something that works as advertised. If the Fiio X5iii is a stable product I might give it a try, but at the pace that "new" versions are issued my brain wont allow my wallet to click buy

Fair enough, no argument here.
Stay away from the new wave of affordable audiophile stuff....they are crippled. I don't think money buys SQ but it does buy some functional quality sometimes.

Jun 16, 2017 at 1:08 PM Post #9,869 of 15,897
Nice!
I'm sorry to hear that you;re not able to use them together though. I wonder if they would correct their mistake if you let them know about it though.

That is kinda mind blowing.
How epic of a F up is that? I would call them out and save a bunch of other folks from sitting pissed and angry realizing they went off dimensions and not orientation. That's refund time.

How can that get produced? I would have got one of those otherwise.

I did, indeed, reach out to Tuffluv's customer service to express my concern with the design. I'm happy to report that they -- very quickly -- responded, acknowledging the issue. They stated that they are in the process of manufacturing corrected cases and will send me a replacement case when they are ready (they forecast 3-4 weeks).

While I was disappointed with the initial case, I continue to be impressed and satisfied with the level of customer service that I have received from this company. I will not hesitate to do business with them again.

I'll add this update to my original mini-review as well. I was also going to post a small review of the PU leather stand-alone case but I see that New Fiio Owner has beaten me to it.

Jun 16, 2017 at 1:12 PM Post #9,870 of 15,897
Hi,

I received my cases yesterday. I ordered the standard case without AMP, both in Black PU and Brown Vintage Leather, I wish the black one was real leather, however, it is a very good quality PU Leather. The bonus, I received a 33% discount and delivery within 3 days.

Agreed. I wish I could have purchased a black case in real leather but I'm still satisfied with the quality of the PU leather cases. I feel like the standard case, being thicker and more padded, will offer more protection to the X5III than the DAP & amp case. On the downside, I don't like that the cover flap on the standard case lacks cutouts to access the transport controls and volume wheel. In order to do anything on the player, you have to open the case up (unlike the stacked case which has cutouts in the cover flap to provide access to the controls.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back