Fiio X5 3rd gen || 2x AKM 4490 || Balanced Out || DSD || DXD | DTS | Android || Dual Card Slot
Jun 6, 2017 at 10:45 AM Post #9,526 of 15,897
I am glad to hear you say that the Fiio sounds better because after replying to you I found the DP-X1A available for £439.00 and I was thinking of buying one.

Do you believe the difference is due to the chosen DACS?

I notice that Onkyo and others use the Sabre DACS whereas Fiio uses the same DAC found in Astell & Kern.
Think more than just the dacs. Look at the design and implementation.
It's designed very well so that very little noise interference from CPU doesn't easily reach DAC/AMP section
onkyo-granbeat.png

Jun 6, 2017 at 10:48 AM Post #9,527 of 15,897
I am glad to hear you say that the Fiio sounds better because after replying to you I found the DP-X1A available for £439.00 and I was thinking of buying one.

Do you believe the difference is due to the chosen DACS?

I notice that Onkyo and others use the Sabre DACS whereas Fiio uses the same DAC found in Astell & Kern.

With stock player software Onkyo sounding better. If you will wait until Fiio will solve problems with software or you are going to tweak (root) Fiio - you will get great sounding device for realy good price.
Because of different DAC chips, both players have different sound signatures - Onkyo it is more digital (let's say - artificial), Fiio - more analogue (natural) sound.

Jun 6, 2017 at 11:32 AM Post #9,530 of 15,897
Think more than just the dacs. Look at the design and implementation.
It's designed very well so that very little noise interference from CPU doesn't easily reach DAC/AMP section

With stock player software Onkyo sounding better. If you will wait until Fiio will solve problems with software or you are going to tweak (root) Fiio - you will get great sounding device for realy good price.
Because of different DAC chips, both players have different sound signatures - Onkyo it is more digital (let's say - artificial), Fiio - more analogue (natural) sound.

Thanks both of you.

I agree about the build quality, Fiio are definiately on par with much more expensive players now. I never send equipment back under warranty unless they are DOA so maybe I will look into rooting and having a play, however, I am very happy with the current sound because I find this DAP very Neutral especially when paired with the B&O H6.

Jun 6, 2017 at 11:40 AM Post #9,531 of 15,897
I'm about ready to pick up a DP-S1 as I understand it, there is a setting for me to use the Balanced out as a "Balanced Line-Out". I'd like to compare the 2... and keep the one that gives me what I'm looking for.

Jun 6, 2017 at 11:56 AM Post #9,532 of 15,897
Thanks both of you.

I agree about the build quality, Fiio are definiately on par with much more expensive players now. I never send equipment back under warranty unless they are DOA so maybe I will look into rooting and having a play, however, I am very happy with the current sound because I find this DAP very Neutral especially when paired with the B&O H6.
I'm glad you like it!
I also enjoy my x5iii as well. It's easy to carry around and very portable!

:/ carrying Cayin N5 around with me and to gym is really like a carrying a block lol.

Jun 6, 2017 at 12:16 PM Post #9,533 of 15,897
Make sure Spotify is off before you turn off the device, and check that you have max of 3 offline devices on spotify (you can check that on the website)

I've finally kept my off-line Spotify content for almost 2 weeks now. The key seems to be making sure to close Spotify when you're done listening to prevent the DAP from shutting down with Spotify still running. Also, put Spotify into 'Offline mode' before quitting. To do this, start Spotify, go to 'Your Library' (bottom right icon), choose Settings (Gear icon upper right), then move the 'Offline Mode' slider to the right (it turns green). In this mode, every time you start Spotify you'll see:

'You're offline'
'Please connect to the internet and try again'

in the middle of the screen (amusingly, even if you actually have a WiFi connection), and

' Spotify is currently set to offline'

near the bottom of the screen.

I tried just setting to offline and shutting down the DAP -- content was gone when I rebooted. I suppose that the 'Offline mode' is not a requirement. But when you set the app that way, it doesn't make you log in when you restart the app. I generally leave Spotify in offline mode whenever I'm not streaming or downloading.

Jun 6, 2017 at 12:30 PM Post #9,534 of 15,897
Folks,

Can someone with the FiiO please tell me how the "line-out" capability is implemented? Specifically, is the gain function (low, med, high) deactivated when line-out is selected, or does it still affect the output?

Many thanks

Brian

Jun 6, 2017 at 12:43 PM Post #9,535 of 15,897
For the Neutron users, how do I get the screen to turn off automatically? The screen never sleeps for me. I've not tried with Fiio Music, just wondered if anyone has seen this and found a solution. Thanks.
you can go in settings -> user interface -> disable "wake lock" and valid, after that your screen will shut down after the time you set in the android settings.

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2017 at 2:51 PM Post #9,539 of 15,897

Well, this can't be good...

Taken while scanning some new files into the library. I am currently writing @FiiO support staff and asking for a warranty replacement unit. Kinda the final straw with trying to make this guy work.

Sorry for your problems with Fiio.
By my opinion, you got faulty device. Wish for quick replacement.

Jun 6, 2017 at 3:09 PM Post #9,540 of 15,897
Here we go:

You can download TWRP (custom recovery) for FiiO X5-III here.
SuperSU package (root) for installing through TWRP is here.

Brief instructions:
- Unzip twrp-2.8.5.0-X5.zip, install drivers (run DriverInstall.exe);
- Power off the X5, connect it to the computer via USB while holding the Previous track button.
- Start AndroidTool.exe, make sure that only checkbox #2 is checked and LOADER device is found;
(for flashing stock recovery just untick #2 checkbox and choose #3 - recovery_stock.img).
- Press <Run> button, wait till flash operation is completed;
- Go to Advanced function tab and click <ResetDevice> button.
- We're done.

To enter custom recovery:
- Power off the X5;
- Push Previous track button, Play/Pause Button and Power button simultaneously.
- Wait 5 sec, release Power button;
- Wait till logo appears and then release all buttons.

The guide about using TWRP is here.

Enjoy!

If you appreciate my work, you can donate at the website in my sig...
Thank you.

Ok, I am rooted (because, why not?) anything interesting that you would suggest with the root that works properly in the X5iii?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back