Fiio X5 3rd gen || 2x AKM 4490 || Balanced Out || DSD || DXD | DTS | Android || Dual Card Slot
Jan 3, 2017 at 10:47 PM Post #857 of 15,899
Would any of you be kind enough to recommend a sub $300 over the ear headphone for the X5 III

For a smidge higher is the Audioquest Nighthawk. I just picked up a pair, and am thoroughly impressed. That said, I would love to listen to the Meze 99 Classic's, which PinkyPowers mentions.

Jan 3, 2017 at 10:48 PM Post #858 of 15,899
  Would any of you be kind enough to recommend a sub $300 over the ear headphone for the X5 III

I've been using Ultrasone Dj One Pro for three years now! If you have where to take a look, they do have a unique sound of their own, lots of soundstage and they're probably the most interesting sub 300$ I heard to date! 

Jan 3, 2017 at 10:48 PM Post #859 of 15,899
For a smidge higher is the Audioquest Nighthawk. I just picked up a pair, and am thoroughly impressed. That said, I would love to listen to the Meze 99 Classic's, which @PinkyPowers mentions.

I was going to make the same comment. IMHO the NightHawks blow away the Meze 99s...

Jan 3, 2017 at 10:49 PM Post #860 of 15,899
Currently the Meze 99 Classic seems to be the king of that price range. I plan on getting my hands on one myself.

For a smidge higher is the Audioquest Nighthawk. I just picked up a pair, and am thoroughly impressed. That said, I would love to listen to the Meze 99 Classic's, which PinkyPowers mentions.

Both are good choices!

Jan 4, 2017 at 3:33 AM Post #861 of 15,899
Wonder how much this will be in Australia. I ditched FIIO as I hated the scroll wheel but this has me interested if it is around the same price as the X5II on launch.

I might just splurge on the IT03's and this. DX200 too exie.

Hard to stay away from this obsession.

Jan 4, 2017 at 3:40 AM Post #862 of 15,899
  Does the X5 3 display songs under artist under category view the same as the original X5?  Or has it been improved on the X5 3?

Dear Riley Beale,

The songs would display their title name under artist.

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Jan 4, 2017 at 5:59 AM Post #863 of 15,899
  I was going to make the same comment. IMHO the NightHawks blow away the Meze 99s...

For a smidge higher is the Audioquest Nighthawk. I just picked up a pair, and am thoroughly impressed. That said, I would love to listen to the Meze 99 Classic's, which @PinkyPowers mentions.

Appreciate the suggestions. However here in India the Nighthawks are almost $600 so as my budget wouldn't permit me to go so high ill try to get hold of the Meze 99 Classics

Jan 4, 2017 at 6:33 AM Post #864 of 15,899
Appreciate the suggestions. However here in India the Nighthawks are almost $600 so as my budget wouldn't permit me to go so high ill try to get hold of the Meze 99 Classics

Sorry to hear that., and apologies. From what I have heard others say, the Meze 99 Classic is a worthy option. Best of luck with your search!

Jan 4, 2017 at 1:17 PM Post #867 of 15,899

As said, I didn't notice any mute - on both USB as well as coax connection. However, I do want to point out I didn't use UAPP for coax-out as UAPP seems not stable on X5III when not used with an USB DAC. There is probably some bugs still needed to be ironed out there.  For coax-out, I use FiiO music app..

@ClieOS - I know you mentioned already you didnt notice a .5 second mute of tracks when using the mojo with the x5iii but could you try playing a track then select a different track with a different sample rate (eg 44k>96k) when you get chance? Its the change of sample rate that causes the small but noticeable mute at the start of the track.

Will the coax cable required for the x5iii be the 4 pole as per the x5ii?

Does the x5iii do bitperfect?

@JamesFiiO- will the x5iii support larger microSD cards when they become available?

Thanks!

Jan 4, 2017 at 1:26 PM Post #868 of 15,899
  Is there actually anyplace that has it for sale yet?

Not sure why all the rush? 
biggrin.gif

X5-3 will come and it does look pretty good, but waiting will surely bring the best about the whole experience since FiiO stated that they want to iron out the firmware before releasing it globally. In 1 month or so, X1ii was cleared of it's biggest bugs, but people did not react too well when they discovered a few bugs, so my understanding is that FiiO limits the early release so that you have best experience when you buy it. 

Jan 4, 2017 at 1:33 PM Post #869 of 15,899
Not sure why all the rush? :D

X5-3 will come and it does look pretty good, but waiting will surely bring the best about the whole experience since FiiO stated that they want to iron out the firmware before releasing it globally. In 1 month or so, X1ii was cleared of it's biggest bugs, but people did not react too well when they discovered a few bugs, so my understanding is that FiiO limits the early release so that you have best experience when you buy it. 

I honestly hope for a smooth release. Especially when paying $400+ for a DAP. I really think the pour X1II release may have got to them and made them realize people aren't going to put up with it...I hope anyway. Patiently waiting for this one because it looks very promising and I've enjoyed my X5II.

Jan 4, 2017 at 1:49 PM Post #870 of 15,899

Taobao has it, but I will recommend that you wait for it to be available internationally.

Thank you. That is exactly the information I was looking for.

Not sure why all the rush? 
biggrin.gif

Because I would like to actually see it and am willing to live with the bugs for a while until the firmware updates are released.

I honestly hope for a smooth release. Especially when paying $400+ for a DAP. I really think the pour X1II release may have got to them and made them realize people aren't going to put up with it...I hope anyway. Patiently waiting for this one because it looks very promising and I've enjoyed my X5II.

Well, I'm willing to put up with it to see what it actualy has to offer. I'm more of a cutting edge new technology kind of guy rather than it has to be perfect and have every feature I want when I buy it guy. Only time will tell.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back