Fiio X5 3rd gen || 2x AKM 4490 || Balanced Out || DSD || DXD | DTS | Android || Dual Card Slot
Dec 29, 2016 at 9:34 AM Post #751 of 15,899
How important is Output Power? I think the X7+AM5 produces only 55mW to 300Ohm but the X5(3) will give 300mW to 32Ohm  (like X7 + AM2)? And I think I read that both the Onkyox-1 & Pioneer XDP100r give 75mW (per channel)? What is enough?

Dec 29, 2016 at 9:40 AM Post #752 of 15,899
  How important is Output Power? I think the X7+AM5 produces only 55mW to 300Ohm but the X5(3) will give 300mW to 32Ohm  (like X7 + AM2)? And I think I read that both the Onkyox-1 & Pioneer XDP100r give 75mW (per channel)? What is enough?

the output power is different at different loader. and the AM5 will push out about 500mW at 32ohms. 

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Dec 29, 2016 at 9:52 AM Post #753 of 15,899

the output power is different at different loader. and the AM5 will push out about 500mW at 32ohms. 

Yes, I read that too, but is 55Mw enough or do I really need 500mW or do I just turn the volume down & save a bit of battery if I have AM5 with 32ohm headphones? Sorry if this is a stupid question, but I would like to understand.

Dec 29, 2016 at 9:54 AM Post #754 of 15,899
Simply speaking, we don't have other choices if we need to manufacture android-based players. It's the result not only to FiiO's players, but also to others Chinese players.......

........As far as music player speaking, the sales of Japanese, South Korean, American and Chinese market adding up, is not as large as any cellphone model of any brand on the market.

This is an interesting statistic and goes a long way to explaining some of the problems faced by many companies in sourcing more up to date chips with the necessary technical support. Thanks for the insight.

Dec 29, 2016 at 10:31 AM Post #755 of 15,899

Yes, I read that too, but is 55Mw enough or do I really need 500mW or do I just turn the volume down & save a bit of battery if I have AM5 with 32ohm headphones? Sorry if this is a stupid question, but I would like to understand.

If I buy X1(2) I get 70mW but if I add Q1 I get 190mw but if I add A5 I get 800mW so I am struggling to understand how important is Output Power and what is enough because if I buy x5(3) [yes please!] I get 250mW.

Dec 29, 2016 at 10:53 AM Post #756 of 15,899
Output power needs depends on the headphones you are trying to drive. I use my original X5 directly with my very efficient Shure IEM but if I want to use my Audeze LCD-XC somewhere else in the house I couple the X5 with my E12. I think for people that want an additional amp you can pair the X5 GIII with the new Fiio A5 amp. The X7 took a different approach to the X5 model of "buy a separate amp" with the swappable amp modules for different needs.

I like the idea of having a separate amp and player and so I like the X5 model - and did not find the X7 interesting. I do find the X5 GIII interesting - I like the dual card slots, and the ability to pair it with a different amp like the E12 or A5 if I need to.

This choice allows you to pick the model that best suits your style // requirements and still stay with a Fiio product.

Dec 29, 2016 at 12:05 PM Post #757 of 15,899
  This choice allows you to pick the model that best suits your style // requirements and still stay with a Fiio product.

For me, the lack of dual slot is X7's biggest weakness (maybe the deal breaker) but even if I did go for X7 instead of X5(3) I would not know whether to buy AM1 or AM2 or AM5 as I do not know how much / important the Ohms level needs to be for an ordinary pair of +30 ohm headphones like my ATHm50x. How much power is enough?

Dec 29, 2016 at 1:31 PM Post #758 of 15,899
For me, the lack of dual slot is X7's biggest weakness (maybe the deal breaker) but even if I did go for X7 instead of X5(3) I would not know whether to buy AM1 or AM2 or AM5 as I do not know how much / important the Ohms level needs to be for an ordinary pair of +30 ohm headphones like my ATHm50x. How much power is enough?

Read this. About half way down there is a link named "SPL Chart". Click on that too.

http://blog.jdslabs.com/?p=1285

Dec 29, 2016 at 1:56 PM Post #759 of 15,899

If I buy X1(2) I get 70mW but if I add Q1 I get 190mw but if I add A5 I get 800mW so I am struggling to understand how important is Output Power and what is enough because if I buy x5(3) [yes please!] I get 250mW.

How much you need to eat depends on how hungry you are, and how much output power you need depends on how demanding your headphone is. If we have no idea what kind of headphone you are using (or plan to acquire in near future), there is no way for us to know what kind of output power is enough for you. As a rule of thumb, whenever you need an answer in the forum, you should start by telling us a bit detail about your situation first.

Dec 29, 2016 at 2:08 PM Post #760 of 15,899

Thank you very much. So, my headphones have a sensitivity of 99db (38ohms, but not sure if that is relevant any more) and the chart says they need only 40mW to get loud (115db). If that is per ear, then I guess a DAP delivering more than 80mW is more than enough? Whereas if sensitivity had been just 10db less, then I'd need an amplifier to get up to nearly 400mW x 2 = 800mW = FiioA5 @ maximum. Wow! Looks like x5(3) will be a great buy for my home and I'll use your chart for any future purchase of travel headphones.

Dec 29, 2016 at 2:14 PM Post #761 of 15,899

How much you need to eat depends on how hungry you are, and how much output power you need depends on how demanding your headphone is. If we have no idea what kind of headphone you are using (or plan to acquire in near future), there is no way for us to know what kind of output power is enough for you. As a rule of thumb, whenever you need an answer in the forum, you should start by telling us a bit detail about your situation first.

Hi, as per my post just above, I thought by saying I have ATHM50x would be sufficient but I appreciate your advice.

Dec 29, 2016 at 4:58 PM Post #762 of 15,899

Hi, as per my post just above, I thought by saying I have ATHM50x would be sufficient but I appreciate your advice.

In terms of power, ATH M50 are not that hard to drive, but they aren't the easiest to drive either. Just somewhere in between. 

X5-3 will surely be sufficient, even some phones can drive ATH M50 well. 

Dec 29, 2016 at 5:15 PM Post #763 of 15,899
So, my headphones have a sensitivity of 99db (38ohms, but not sure if that is relevant any more) and the chart says they need only 40mW to get loud (115db). If that is per ear, then I guess a DAP delivering more than 80mW is more than enough?

That spec would not be per ear. The spec indicates that the total overall level of your headphones output, at both ears, would be 115db with 40mw of input.

Dec 29, 2016 at 7:40 PM Post #764 of 15,899

I've had my AT 40x (35 ohm) for 2 days now & my Note 3 pushes them just fine.  Considering the 40x has an impedance of only 3 fewer ohms than the 50x, I would venture to agree with other folks whom have said pushing the 50x would be a breeze.

From what I've read thus far, 3 ohms is a relatively negligible difference between headphones.  I shared your power concerns before I pulled the trigger, but they have been put to rest.

I'm also considering the X5 III & based on the specs, it should push the 40 / 50x very well (hopefully even better than my Note 3).  There's a ton of helpful info. in the 40 / 50x threads.

Dec 29, 2016 at 10:00 PM Post #765 of 15,899

Thank you very much. So, my headphones have a sensitivity of 99db (38ohms, but not sure if that is relevant any more) and the chart says they need only 40mW to get loud (115db). If that is per ear, then I guess a DAP delivering more than 80mW is more than enough? Whereas if sensitivity had been just 10db less, then I'd need an amplifier to get up to nearly 400mW x 2 = 800mW = FiioA5 @ maximum. Wow! Looks like x5(3) will be a great buy for my home and I'll use your chart for any future purchase of travel headphones.

X5III will be way more than sufficient. As a general rule, you don't want to have 'just enough' power, as that means your source is always near its limit. You will always want a bit more, but not so much that you will never going to use it. Also, unless you are planning to use just one pair of headphone forever, the smarter thing to do is to have a source with just a bit more output power in case your next headphone isn't as easy to drive as your current headphone. Of course, with such an high output as X5III, there is actually only a handful of headphone that it can't drive well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back