Fiio X5 3rd gen || 2x AKM 4490 || Balanced Out || DSD || DXD | DTS | Android || Dual Card Slot
Feb 24, 2017 at 8:32 PM Post #3,256 of 15,899
great review George!

Thank you! 

Quote:
which rubber bands that you used to stack x5iii with a5? i found that the small one was slightly too tight but the big one was slightly too loose hmm:thinking:

I generally use the large one which is slightly too lose. The rubber feet also helps with friction so it doesn't fall off. 

Feb 24, 2017 at 8:34 PM Post #3,257 of 15,899
  Hey, Everyone! You're invited to read my thoughts! 
biggrin.gif

http://www.head-fi.org/products/fiio-x5-3rd-gen-premium-hi-res-dap/reviews/18091 

Very precise. Thanks George!

Feb 24, 2017 at 8:47 PM Post #3,259 of 15,899
Feb 24, 2017 at 8:48 PM Post #3,260 of 15,899
Dobrescu George great review! I think you should pull the plug and get an X5 III for yourself!

Feb 24, 2017 at 9:25 PM Post #3,261 of 15,899
The x5iii doesn't have a "bass boost" option.
Is it possible to achieve the same result as Fiio's typical "bass boost" feature (as seen with the Q1, A5, etc) by playing with the equalizer feature on the x5iii?

My current set-up is as follows:
  1. iPhone 6s  ->  Fiio Q1  ->  HD600

I listen at relatively low volumes, and I rely heavily on the Q1's bass boost feature.  
If I buy the x5iii, will I be able to mimic the "bass boost' feature by boosting the bass with the equalizer?

Feb 24, 2017 at 9:50 PM Post #3,262 of 15,899

The stacking kit for the X5 3rd gen is coming, do you like it in such a concise way?

The stacking kit is used for bundling with Headphone amps or DACs.

By using the stacking frame, we can avoid blocking the screen with bands and interfering with the side buttons operation.

Considering the above situations, we've come up with the following designs. How do you think of it? Please do not hesitate to tell us if you have any better idea.

Thanks in advance. 

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Feb 24, 2017 at 9:54 PM Post #3,263 of 15,899

The stacking kit for the X5 3rd gen is coming, do you like it in such a concise way?

By using the stacking frame, we can avoid blocking the screen with bands and interfering with the side buttons operation.

Considering the above situations, we've come up with the following designs. How do you think of it? Please do not hesitate to tell us if you have any better idea.

Thanks in advance. 

@FiiO, I would strongly suggest you move the bands a little closer together to stack with a variety of amps and DACs. Both the the Mojo and the ALO Rx/Cv5 are shorter than the X5-3 and this stacking kit will not work to stack with devices smaller than the X5-3.

Feb 24, 2017 at 10:02 PM Post #3,264 of 15,899

Thanks in advance. 

@FiiO, I would strongly suggest you move the bands a little closer together to stack with a variety of amps and DACs. Both the the Mojo and the ALO Rx/Cv5 are shorter than the X5-3 and this stacking kit will not work to stack with devices smaller than the X5-3.

That would be extremely logical. May i also say that you should try to keep the profile of the stacking kit as minimalist as possible so as to compliment the modern design of the X5 III as well as if you could think of a transparent material stacking kit it would also add to the modern look IMO. Really glad to see you guys get to work on this.

Feb 24, 2017 at 10:06 PM Post #3,265 of 15,899
Is adding an A5 amp to the chain going to be necessary to drive a pair of HD600's?
Or would the x5iii do a sufficient job by itself?

I listen at relatively low volumes, so I know that the x5iii will drive the HD600's more than loud enough for me.
I just want to take sure I'm going to get enough fullness, oomph, separation, soundstage, etc without having to add an additional amp...

Feb 24, 2017 at 10:07 PM Post #3,266 of 15,899
I think old design was quite alright as the screen still have a little border allowance.

But the white translucent band i got from X5II is too strong and broke the frame over time.
So i suggest to check the strength of the band or strengthen the frame.

Feb 24, 2017 at 10:42 PM Post #3,267 of 15,899
  based on Head-fi recommendations & price - B&W P7 Wireless and think they are great.

So long as the X5III sounds nearly as good as the Mojo output using my SE846'S & B&W P7 I will be happy. Not into the stacking thing.

Yes, I am a big fan of the P7 wireless which sounds better than the original P7 wired (completely redesigned driver for the P7 wireless). If you are using the Bluetooth functionality of the P7 it won't matter at all what the transport is as long as the BT transmitter works properly, the work is done on the P7 end not at the DAP. That is why for portable I just use my phone and Bluetooth headphones. I had a nice DAP, but when using a Bluetooth headphone the DAPs internals were being wasted anyway.

Feb 24, 2017 at 10:43 PM Post #3,268 of 15,899
  Is adding an A5 amp to the chain going to be necessary to drive a pair of HD600's?
Or would the x5iii do a sufficient job by itself?

I listen at relatively low volumes, so I know that the x5iii will drive the HD600's more than loud enough for me.
I just want to take sure I'm going to get enough fullness, oomph, separation, soundstage, etc without having to add an additional amp...

I believe you shouldnt  have any problems driving the HD600s from the X5 III. I havent tried it personally however there is no reason to suspect it might not. I am sure many have given that pairing a try here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back