Fiio X5 3rd gen || 2x AKM 4490 || Balanced Out || DSD || DXD | DTS | Android || Dual Card Slot
Feb 17, 2017 at 12:55 PM Post #2,731 of 15,899
@Hawaiibadboy: how would you compare the sonics on the i5 vs X5iii?

The i5 was very warm like a pinch of reverb was in the music. Warmest DAP I have ever spent time with. Anything with some low end was overtaking the mid clarity. The EX1000 are very bright and they were not even able to get over that. The xb90ex were not good at all with it. Cayin and Andy are great. No bullcrap from them. That DAP was really warm though. I like bass and warmth added by myself but not as a sonic default of the DAP tuning.

Just my opinion. The i5, mojo, Soundaware M1 pro and the X5iii all tilt warm but the i5 went too far for my taste.

Feb 17, 2017 at 1:02 PM Post #2,732 of 15,899
 The i5 was very warm like a pinch of reverb was in the music. Warmest DAP I have ever spent time with. Anything with some low end was overtaking the mid clarity. The EX1000 are very bright and they were not even able to get over that. The xb90ex were not good at all with it. Cayin and Andy are great. No bullcrap from them. That DAP was really warm though. I like bass and warmth added by myself but not as a sonic default of the DAP tuning.

Just my opinion. The i5, mojo, Soundaware M1 pro and the X5iii all tilt warm but the i5 went too far for my taste.

You ever heard cayin c5 or c5dac? Curious if i5 is as warm as those. I like a warmer source as I don't use eq and like to get brighter iems. It03 is my current daily driver.

Feb 17, 2017 at 2:28 PM Post #2,734 of 15,899
  Tumyum, Thank you very much for your support , we are working hard to release our X5iii into the market soon.
beerchug.gif

​Any idea or approximate when it hits the US soil? I had family lived in China and Japan. I could ask them to buy and ship over here for me but if the X5 is coming to the US soon, then I don't want to bother them.

Feb 17, 2017 at 5:01 PM Post #2,736 of 15,899
My A5 amp is on the way... Come on Fiio, release to US/Canada.
wink.gif

Given Fiio's history with initial DAP releases I would be inclined to wait for solid feedback before taking the plunge.  While I am glad to see Fiio is taking its time with this release vs previous releases it is still no guarantee.   Taking a flyer on the X1-II at $150.00 is one thing but this is like 3.5x the price of the X1-II and the X7 has not exactly been a homerun.

Feb 17, 2017 at 5:52 PM Post #2,737 of 15,899
  Given Fiio's history with initial DAP releases I would be inclined to wait for solid feedback before taking the plunge.  While I am glad to see Fiio is taking its time with this release vs previous releases it is still no guarantee.   Taking a flyer on the X1-II at $150.00 is one thing but this is like 3.5x the price of the X1-II and the X7 has not exactly been a homerun.

Everybody said that X5-3 is solid, we should take their word for it! 

I can't wait for my review unit to get out of Romanian customs and I'll let you know about every detail I notice 
etysmile.gif

Feb 17, 2017 at 6:01 PM Post #2,738 of 15,899

X7 was bad. I am being much more careful about this one, we will see what Fiio can do.

Feb 17, 2017 at 6:47 PM Post #2,739 of 15,899
X7 was bad. I am being much more careful about this one, we will see what Fiio can do.
Yes, thats why I didnt buy it. Even a year later I didnt buy that dap but bought this one before it came out. Soundwise its top notch right out of the box. No burn in needed. Another good thing the new FW downloads through wifi automatically. People who are skilled with Android lived the X7 they mod it to sound exactly how they wanted it to sound. I dont have those skills. I just want a great sounding dap.

Feb 17, 2017 at 7:54 PM Post #2,741 of 15,899
The X7 definitely can sound good, but I agree with @Jmills8, you need to play with it.

But isn't that part of the fun? 
wink.gif

Actually, I'm glad that X5-3 seems all sorted out from the start, but I actually enjoyed my time making a custom UI for X5ii. Maybe we will have a way of skinning X5-3 as well 
etysmile.gif

Maybe not through custom launchers though, since FiiO customized the Android on it a lot for audio, but I'm a man who never loses hope. 

Feb 17, 2017 at 8:32 PM Post #2,742 of 15,899

Yes, but in all fairness to FiiO, they took it on the chin trying to get Android shop skills in house and I'm sure they invested huge man hours into dealing with Android issues. I still feel once, and if it is ever possible, if streaming services can be ported into DAPs that don't have Android, that will be all most people buying these DAPs really want, at least with the present state of the technology.

Feb 17, 2017 at 8:32 PM Post #2,743 of 15,899
Yes, for some of us it definitely is. I used to root everything I could, flash roms and kernels, themes, did some of my own light theming, etc. But, not everyone enjoys that, some just want a device that sounds good and works well, without tinkering. Hell, I haven't rooted my last 2 phones. Still debating on rooting my V20...funny, just typing that makes me curious again. Lol

Feb 17, 2017 at 8:41 PM Post #2,744 of 15,899
Yes, for some of us it definitely is. I used to root everything I could, flash roms and kernels, themes, did some of my own light theming, etc. But, not everyone enjoys that, some just want a device that sounds good and works well, without tinkering. Hell, I haven't rooted my last 2 phones. Still debating on rooting my V20...funny, just typing that makes me curious again. Lol

Yes I rooted everything too.. when the v20 came out I had lucid dreams of rooting it and being in mobile audiophile nirvana. **** happens, got a OnePlus 3t instead :frowning2: and still not rooted.

Feb 17, 2017 at 9:10 PM Post #2,745 of 15,899
I wonder if the bootloader will be locked. If it can be bypassed and when fiio releases sources I can see this dap getting better. My wallet is crying Nintendo switch at the beginning of the month and fiio x5-3 at the end of the month. My wife is going to kill me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back