Fiio X5 3rd gen || 2x AKM 4490 || Balanced Out || DSD || DXD | DTS | Android || Dual Card Slot
Feb 10, 2017 at 5:47 AM Post #2,251 of 15,897
I have a QP1R but will be buying the CHORD HUGO 2 as soon as it comes out. Plan to use the above combo with my HEK v2 as there was synergy but wondering if I should switch to the Fio X5 III as a transport since it has a better UI, also two microSD card slots and can also stream TIDAL with Wifi. I would probably keep the QP1R for easy portable use with IEM (just got the amazing Zeus XR Adel).

Anyone pair the Fio with the HUGO as just a transport?

Is there a USB out on the Fio or only optical like with the QP1R?

Feb 10, 2017 at 6:11 AM Post #2,253 of 15,897
@FiiO The lockscreen you posted a couple of pages back.. was it from FW 1.1.0?

Feb 10, 2017 at 6:18 AM Post #2,255 of 15,897
  I totally agree with you!

I was really shocked how good X5-III with A5 sounded with some loaner LCD-4! I couldn't believe A5 can power LCD-4 with such incredible authority, slam and speed.
X5-III has something I never heard in a FiiO DAP, it has a velvety and refined sound, even X7 don't have a presentation like this, I really dig how X5-III can sound precise yet so involving and musical somehow.
I need to further research what is making X5-III sound so unique...
Anyway X5-III is killer, IMO it's a big step up from X5-II, I even like it more than X7 on some tunes.

If the X5 III is this good, I wonder what the much-rumoured X7 II will be like 
wink_face.gif

Feb 10, 2017 at 6:20 AM Post #2,256 of 15,897
  If the X5 III is this good, I wonder what the much-rumoured X7 II will be like 
wink_face.gif

I have been having ridiculous dreams about it.. 
biggrin.gif

Feb 10, 2017 at 6:25 AM Post #2,257 of 15,897
Anyone pair the Fio with the HUGO as just a transport?

Is there a USB out on the Fio or only optical like with the QP1R?

I have paired X5i with Hugo since X5s release. It has been my DAP of choice using Coax, which I prefer to optical or USB. I also used loaner X5ii with Hugo, another excellent pair except for the Fiio shared coax socket requiring a non standard cable. Could imagine 3rd gen being another excellent match if you want the touch user interface and online aspects.

Feb 10, 2017 at 6:28 AM Post #2,258 of 15,897
Feb 10, 2017 at 7:27 AM Post #2,260 of 15,897

Feb 10, 2017 at 8:51 AM Post #2,262 of 15,897
Haven't heard an X5iii but I can vouch for Advanced MP3, have made 3 orders from them and each time they have been fast, well packaged and best prices in the UK. As mentioned earlier, look out for voucher codes and use Topcashback for the very best deals. Great customer service too, when I bought my X5 1st gen they had a 12.5% voucher code which had expired, I called customer services and they reinstated the code for 10 mins so I could place my order.

Thanks for feedback. I did order from them once before, but via Amazon. Never heard of Topcashback, is that something separate ?

Feb 10, 2017 at 8:59 AM Post #2,264 of 15,897

any headphone with CTIA jack should be work fine in X5-3, but the volume control may not works in most MFi headphones.

I can confirm that according to my (limited) testing scenarios.

All headphones I have tried and that have a remote do Pause/Next Track well (on stock player and Spotify alike).
With 1More triple and Momentum M2 also the volume control works fine. I think B&W P3 also.

What does not work is the Grado. But they have no remote :wink:

Feb 10, 2017 at 9:15 AM Post #2,265 of 15,897
Thanks for feedback. I did order from them once before, but via Amazon. Never heard of Topcashback, is that something separate ?

Yeah Topcashback is seperate, I suppose the best way to describe it is like an affiliate link website. Basically you join (for free), log into their website, search for your preferred retailer, you will then see a cashback percentage listed plus any current voucher codes, you then click the link and it takes you to the retailers normal website, this will be tracked via a cookie and any applicable purchase will have the stated percentage paid to you in an account (can take a few weeks) you can then transfer this to you bank account or trade in for gift cards etc. Totall free service and great source of extra discounts, it's especially good for mobile phone contacts and utility switches too. I've earned roughly £700 in 3 years. If you pm me the I can send you a link which means I get a little bonus for introducing you (no pressure or expectation on my part)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back