Fiio X5 3rd gen || 2x AKM 4490 || Balanced Out || DSD || DXD | DTS | Android || Dual Card Slot
Feb 9, 2017 at 3:15 AM Post #2,161 of 15,897
X5 III stacked with A5 and maybe its just me but the A5 compliments the X5III so so well. A decent amp really unleashes the true potential of what the DAC is outputting.

Feb 9, 2017 at 3:33 AM Post #2,163 of 15,897
  X5 III stacked with A5 and maybe its just me but the A5 compliments the X5III so so well. A decent amp really unleashes the true potential of what the DAC is outputting.

I totally agree with you!

I was really shocked how good X5-III with A5 sounded with some loaner LCD-4! I couldn't believe A5 can power LCD-4 with such incredible authority, slam and speed.
X5-III has something I never heard in a FiiO DAP, it has a velvety and refined sound, even X7 don't have a presentation like this, I really dig how X5-III can sound precise yet so involving and musical somehow.
I need to further research what is making X5-III sound so unique...
Anyway X5-III is killer, IMO it's a big step up from X5-II, I even like it more than X7 on some tunes.

Feb 9, 2017 at 3:48 AM Post #2,164 of 15,897

Is it a clear difference between A5 and internal amp? If yes, what is most improved adding an A5?

You have you answer below. The sound has just seemed to open up more with excellent separation and has added a fuller body to the music overall. However, i would suggest you try it out before making any such decisions.To each their aural pleasures.

I totally agree with you!

I was really shocked how good X5-III with A5 sounded with some loaner LCD-4! I couldn't believe A5 can power LCD-4 with such incredible authority, slam and speed.
X5-III has something I never heard in a FiiO DAP, it has a velvety and refined sound, even X7 don't have a presentation like this, I really dig how X5-III can sound precise yet so involving and musical somehow.
I need to further research what is making X5-III sound so unique...
Anyway X5-III is killer, IMO it's a big step up from X5-II, I even like it more than X7 on some tunes.

Yes i do agree. The A5 is doing a great job and the X5III an even better job! I have no experience of the X7 so couldn't comment, however, have read a few comparisons.

@JamesFiiO @FiiO I have noticed that when in pure music mode, if the DAP is paused for more than 10 - 15 mins it freezes up and needs a restart of the pure music mode. Would you be kind enough and ask your engineers to look into this too. @jmills8 is also facing the same issue.

Thanks. The A5 compliments the X5III brilliantly!!

Feb 9, 2017 at 4:25 AM Post #2,165 of 15,897
Pre-ordered!

Back home in UK and my x1ii was waiting for me. Not 100% about the x1ii and almost drove me to order xdp300.

The positive reviews and comments here have encouraged me to try the x5iii.

Stock due on 15th and they had a 10% discount. Can't wait!

Feb 9, 2017 at 4:45 AM Post #2,166 of 15,897

You have you answer below. The sound has just seemed to open up more with excellent separation and has added a fuller body to the music overall. However, i would suggest you try it out before making any such decisions.To each their aural pleasures.

Yes i do agree. The A5 is doing a great job and the X5III an even better job! I have no experience of the X7 so couldn't comment, however, have read a few comparisons.

@JamesFiiO @FiiO I have noticed that when in pure music mode, if the DAP is paused for more than 10 - 15 mins it freezes up and needs a restart of the pure music mode. Would you be kind enough and ask your engineers to look into this too. @jmills8 is also facing the same issue.

Thanks. The A5 compliments the X5III brilliantly!!

yes, we have reported this to our engineer. 

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Feb 9, 2017 at 4:51 AM Post #2,167 of 15,897

So how does that stack hold together physically in real world use i.e out and about? Do the rubber bands stay put? Do they interfere with the touchscreen etc?

Just concerned / disappointed that Fiio are not making a stacking kit. I have the X5 1st gen stacked with the A5 and I love how elegant the set-up is when using the stacking kit, it is the one issue which is holding back my enthusiasm for the X5iii.

Your opinions are much appreciated, thanks.

Feb 9, 2017 at 6:38 AM Post #2,168 of 15,897
So how does that stack hold together physically in real world use i.e out and about? Do the rubber bands stay put? Do they interfere with the touchscreen etc?

Just concerned / disappointed that Fiio are not making a stacking kit. I have the X5 1st gen stacked with the A5 and I love how elegant the set-up is when using the stacking kit, it is the one issue which is holding back my enthusiasm for the X5iii.

Your opinions are much appreciated, thanks.

Yes the rubber bands do stay put in real world use but i'll be honest they are far from perfect. As i had asked the same question over at the A5 thread and @Brooko was kind enough to suggest the use of 3M Dual Lock, he did mention that they would be more suited for a temporary solution but i don't see why they cant be permanent. The placement of the rubber bands are tricky for me and doesn't give me a sense of it being secure at all times.

If i may suggest, please do not overlook this just for the lack of a stacking kit. The X5III is a really great device and has a nifty UI, great music reproduction even beyond the price point and versatility. I suggest you give it a listen first.

Feb 9, 2017 at 7:16 AM Post #2,170 of 15,897

Yes the rubber bands do stay put in real world use but i'll be honest they are far from perfect. As i had asked the same question over at the A5 thread and @Brooko was kind enough to suggest the use of 3M Dual Lock, he did mention that they would be more suited for a temporary solution but i don't see why they cant be permanent. The placement of the rubber bands are tricky for me and doesn't give me a sense of it being secure at all times.

If i may suggest, please do not overlook this just for the lack of a stacking kit. The X5III is a really great device and has a nifty UI, great music reproduction even beyond the price point and versatility. I suggest you give it a listen first.

I meant its more suitable if it is to be mostly paired together. You can remove it afterwards (so it isn't permanent if you change your mind)

Old photo showing the dual-lock - its really low profile

Agree - 3M low profile dual lock = win.  Velcro gets ragged over time.  Bands get in the way - especially if you're using a smart-phone or touch screen DAP.

Here's my iPod Touch with Arrow using dual-lock.  Clean.  Simple.  Win.

Feb 9, 2017 at 7:19 AM Post #2,171 of 15,897

(Not my pic) Looks Good.

Feb 9, 2017 at 7:37 AM Post #2,172 of 15,897
Yes the rubber bands do stay put in real world use but i'll be honest they are far from perfect. As i had asked the same question over at the A5 thread and @Brooko
 was kind enough to suggest the use of 3M Dual Lock, he did mention that they would be more suited for a temporary solution but i don't see why they cant be permanent. The placement of the rubber bands are tricky for me and doesn't give me a sense of it being secure at all times.

I meant its more suitable if it is to be mostly paired together. You can remove it afterwards (so it isn't permanent if you change your mind)

Old photo showing the dual-lock - its really low profile

Thanks both of you for the replies, just wish they would take the DIY approach out of the equation for us, they've always done stacking kits before, I know X7 is an exception but that has amp modules. If you are reading this Fiio, please consider either a stacking kit (preferred) or a dual case like Tuffluv made for X5ii + amp. Surely you guys would like the revenue over third party sellers, plus the stacking kit solution is so elegant and neat.

Whereas the 3m solution is cool, I'd like to avoid sticking anything to my gear of possible, rather keep it neat for if / when I sell or gift the DAP to family - not wishing to change gear often but still nice to keep it clean and neat.

Feb 9, 2017 at 7:38 AM Post #2,173 of 15,897
3M dual locks look really good. I have already ordered some to go on the X5 III and A5 as setup 1 and iPhone + e17k as setup 2.

Appreciate the suggestion. Thanks a lot

Feb 9, 2017 at 7:55 AM Post #2,174 of 15,897
How messy is Dual lock? i.e does it leave a residue behind when permanently removed? Could it strip the paint / finish of the DAP or amp?

I like the sound of it as a solution if Fiio insist on not providing a stacking kit.

Love my A5 btw, completely transformed my X5 1st gen

Feb 9, 2017 at 8:33 AM Post #2,175 of 15,897
Pre-ordered!

Back home in UK and my x1ii was waiting for me. Not 100% about the x1ii and almost drove me to order xdp300.

The positive reviews and comments here have encouraged me to try the x5iii.

Stock due on 15th and they had a 10% discount. Can't wait!

Can I ask where you found this deal? Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back