Fiio X5 3rd gen || 2x AKM 4490 || Balanced Out || DSD || DXD | DTS | Android || Dual Card Slot
Feb 6, 2017 at 2:55 PM Post #2,056 of 15,899
Thanks for that. I've think I've actually looked at a couple of trinity models the master which I think is based on the m4 and the phantom sabre,I like the idea of the tuning filters. Also looked at Dunu Dn1000 and the Titan 3 or 5 anybody got a recommendation out of those I know very little about any of them. The trinity ones I think have push/pull drivers?
Sorry this has gone off topic.

Feb 6, 2017 at 5:40 PM Post #2,057 of 15,899

This will be a light hearted joke, not an attack of any sorts: 

I'm not that worried about hackers getting access to my music playlists 
biggrin.gif

At any rate, let's hope that the CPU maker will support further Android Updates a it is up to them for updates to work!

I'd be more worried about someone dumping crappy music onto my player.
biggrin.gif

Feb 6, 2017 at 6:24 PM Post #2,058 of 15,899

I don't suppose you're using it through USB3.0? I know there are (or were) limitations on using USB Audio through USB3.0 ports and buses with Alsa/Pulse. Sadly, my current laptop only has USB3.0 so I am SOL until I can be bothered to sort out a work around? In any case, changing to USB2.0 fixed the issue for me previously.

No - its USB 2 (nut I've tried 3.0 too).  The fact that its recognised and actually apperars to be playing - simply indicates it's muted.  But my normal trick of running alsacfg isn't working - as it says there are no controls to configure.  Next work around is via config files - but as I don't use it as a DAC, there has been little motivation to get it worked out so far. It remains on my list of things to do ......

Feb 6, 2017 at 8:07 PM Post #2,059 of 15,899

No - its USB 2 (nut I've tried 3.0 too).  The fact that its recognised and actually apperars to be playing - simply indicates it's muted.  But my normal trick of running alsacfg isn't working - as it says there are no controls to configure.  Next work around is via config files - but as I don't use it as a DAC, there has been little motivation to get it worked out so far. It remains on my list of things to do ......

I tired this as DAC on Ubuntu 16.04 as well as ubuntu Studio (latest version) and the DAC worked fine on both and was no problem detecting it. Tried it with windows and it works pretty well. I was just testing it and dont use it as a DAC much.

Feb 6, 2017 at 8:50 PM Post #2,060 of 15,899
Hi

I hesitate between X5iii and Cayin i5 to pair with my Audio-Technica MSR7 headphone.
Has anyone tried the x5iii with MSR7 ?

My concern is about the bass response and dynamic: MSR7 bass response is a bit low and I read X5iii bass response seems a bit low as well so pairing them might not be the best combination .... is my rationale and assumptions regarding the X5iii correct ?

Feb 6, 2017 at 9:00 PM Post #2,061 of 15,899
Hi

I hesitate between X5iii and Cayin i5 to pair with my Audio-Technica MSR7 headphone.

My concern is about the bass response and dynamic: MSR7 bass response is a bit low and I read X5iii bass response seems a bit low as well so pairing them might not be the best combination .... is my rationale and assumptions regarding the X5iii correct ?
Both have great bass. X5II has this option if needed.

Feb 6, 2017 at 9:09 PM Post #2,062 of 15,899
Feb 6, 2017 at 9:10 PM Post #2,063 of 15,899
Feb 7, 2017 at 2:14 AM Post #2,064 of 15,899
Hi

Not that low, it have balance sound in all frequency, no significantly boost up in some part pf frequency.

If you tried it with Cayin i5, you'll get thick and lush sound. Bass is thick and full. But it's maybe too much if your headphone already have thick and lush sound.

If you tried it with FiiO X5iii, you'll hear all frequency improvement but after short period of burn in and listening. FiiO give you better in everything, that's why it may not surprise you by some frequency fancy.

MSR7 is not that hard to drive headphone, you'll able to hear it with its full potential, but Cayin i5 will give you a extra juice.

Hope you can tried both of them, both of them aregreat DAP :)

Feb 7, 2017 at 2:58 AM Post #2,065 of 15,899
thanks for your feedback  koluludome

MSR7 are easy to drive, but sometimes they lack a bit of punch on the bass side when used with my current X1. Hope this will be improved with X5iii
I really like the design and functionality of the X5iii but was just wondering ig i5 would not be a better from a sound standpoint.... I need to find a place to try it out ! :)

Feb 7, 2017 at 3:11 AM Post #2,066 of 15,899
thanks for your feedback  koluludome

MSR7 are easy to drive, but sometimes they lack a bit of punch on the bass side when used with my current X1. Hope this will be improved with X5iii
I really like the design and functionality of the X5iii but was just wondering ig i5 would not be a better from a sound standpoint.... I need to find a place to try it out ! :)

If you are vocal fan, x5iii should suit you wuth overall performance which is great to all genres. It's like you listen to great recording.

But if you listen mainly to vocal song, i5 will give your more intimate feeling than x5iii. It's like you listen to a live performance.

Different people, different taste.

Lifestyle is matter to consider too. If most of your music is on streaming, x5iii is more stable.

Feb 7, 2017 at 3:16 AM Post #2,067 of 15,899
well I am fund of metal and atmospheric stuff with lots of instrument, I like to hear lots of details (hence my choice of MSR7). So I think I will stick to X5iii from your post
I hope that the EQ and other effects will allow me to boost a little bit the bass :)

Feb 7, 2017 at 3:37 AM Post #2,068 of 15,899
A music style related to a specific region/country doesn't kill other music styles. Dwindling fanbase and big labels looking for profit do. :p

Oh I understand that and I am kidding. It is more an indictment of the state of what passes for music in Canada.  I have no prejudice against music from other countries as I quite frankly get to hear very little of it.  But I am in my 50's now and can't stand alot of what gets released today.   Once the The Rolling Stones et al... finally kick the bucket or simply retire I am fearing a dearth of good music I actually want to listen to.

My DAP is my lifeline to music from a better time for me.  Funny but my nephews who are in their late teens or 20's all love classic rock and can't stand most of the pop stuff now.  They all traveled to the States one weekend to catch a Rolling Stones concert and are getting heavily into vinyl.  Music is revolutionary and just keeps coming around. 

My nephews always insist I bring my DAP to family get togethers so they can listen to it.  I have introduced them to so many great bands like Supertramp, The Moody Blues, The Alan Parson's Project and Yes.  The first time they heard Dark Side of the Moon they were blown away.  I still have hope for this generation as long as you keep giving them access to the great bands of the past.

Feb 7, 2017 at 3:53 AM Post #2,069 of 15,899
Dark Side of the Moon seems to go through time pretty well anyway. When you have good audio gears it's simply an incredible experience to listen to this album. So many instrument and sounds perfectly orchestrated

Feb 7, 2017 at 4:09 AM Post #2,070 of 15,899
  Hi all,

Anyone know how do i manage my battery performance? I have 50% battery left last night at 12am. This morning woke up 8am, the battery died. I started to charge my battery at 8am and till now 12pm, i only have 77% charged. May i know if anyone has this issue? how to improve the battery life? Also, what's the difference between Sleep & Idle? How can i enhance my device battery life.

Thanks!

Dear Craizons08,

Did you run any background APP or turn on the Wi-Fi before the battery died? For the charging time, did you use the fast charging charger?

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back