FiiO X5 2nd gen Impressions and Discussion thread
Mar 17, 2017 at 10:56 AM Post #6,436 of 7,088
  Hi

I've just got an X5ii that I am using with Shure SE846 IEM's and wondered what effect burn-in will have on the sound?

Thanks

Darren

The whole subject of burn-in is debatable.  I personally do not buy into it, but others do.  I think my X5II sounds the same way it did when I first bought it 6 months ago and I use it daily for hours at a time.

Mar 17, 2017 at 12:31 PM Post #6,437 of 7,088
  The whole subject of burn-in is debatable.  I personally do not buy into it, but others do.  I think my X5II sounds the same way it did when I first bought it 6 months ago and I use it daily for hours at a time.

I'm in the same boat. 

No burn-in whatsoever detected thus far, though it might be that I feel changes in sound of 180 turnarounds based on mood alone, so a minor difference from burn - in would be rather undetectable. 

Mar 17, 2017 at 3:41 PM Post #6,439 of 7,088
  I've heard it's more brain/ear burn-in than electronics. Although I have heard of reviewers talking to headphone/iem manufacturers being told "It will need 100 hours" type thing.

Darren - take it with a grain of salt. Caps have the ability to change over time, but in a sense they would always be degrading.  the big question - are the minute changes (if there are any) audible?  The short answer - you'll get more noticeable actual frequency response change from the position of a pair of headphones on your head, the condition of pads or tips, or the small changes of insertion depth in IEMs (all of these produce measurable changes) - than any supposed burn-in.

My advice - enjoy the X5ii and don't worry about it 
smile.gif

Mar 18, 2017 at 3:42 AM Post #6,440 of 7,088
Just read this in the sound section of twister6's Ibasso DX200 review:

"Many manufacturers talk about the necessity of burn in before you start analysing the sound, while iBasso actually encourages its customers by providing a burn in cable with a suggestion to use it for 200 hrs in order to condition the electric components."

I think this is a "Do mains cables make a difference" type deal.

Mar 18, 2017 at 11:11 AM Post #6,441 of 7,088
Just received my X5 II from Micca.  Love it.  Broken in or not
wink_face.gif
it is a hoot to play with and over the lowly ATH-M50X it sounds
wonderful.  (Too many hobbies to have thousand dollar phones).

Can someone advise what size those screws are?   .8 5 point,
perhaps?   Certainly have no need to open it yet, but may as
well add to the arsenal of tools. 

Lots of great info in this thread and if I missed a discussion on
the screws in my searches, please chock it up to being new to
the group.

Bought the 2ND Gen after lots of research and having absolutely
no earthly reason to own another Android device to eat up my 
already meager satellite bandwidth.

Mar 19, 2017 at 9:59 AM Post #6,445 of 7,088
  Do you guys know how to connect HA2SE as a dac+amp to X5ii?, because X5ii dont support otg and only have coax out. Is there any coax out to micro usb input cable? How to connect X5ii coax out to USB input.

If you roll back a few updates the OTG function comes back.
This is what I did.

I then bought a short Micro USB OTG Adapter M/F (USB Micro-B (5 pin) Male to USB A (4 pin) Female) from Startech.com

Mar 19, 2017 at 12:28 PM Post #6,446 of 7,088
   ...I think that X502 drives HD600 pretty well and they sounded quite sweet off of it! 

Just for grins, plugged in my old Koss Pro 4 I keep around for communications use.
Drove those things just fine in high gain position. 

Wonderful little device.  I know Fiio has engineers who must be proud of the 3rd Gen,
but Android?  Really?  I'm probably missing something.  Love Linux and is all my
PC knows how to do, but Android is quirky and invasive.  Not my choice for playing
Bach and Vivaldi.  Bob Seger either for that matter!

Took some pictures with the phone last evening and found some music files while
uploading the shots.   Deleted the music.  I have my music player now.

Mar 19, 2017 at 7:18 PM Post #6,447 of 7,088
Would someone please refresh my memory, is it possible to play FLAC files off a flash drive when connected to the X5 II via a Micro USB B Male To USB 2.0 A Female OTG Host Converter Cable Adapter like this one?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2Colors-Micro-USB-B-Male-To-USB-2-0-A-Female-OTG-Host-Converter-Cable-Adapter-M-/262484665631?_trksid=p2385738.m2548.l4275

Any information would be appreciated!

EDIT: I scrolled back and learned that OTG functionality was removed.

Thank You!

Mar 19, 2017 at 9:03 PM Post #6,448 of 7,088
I was running my 1more triple drivers iem and my sennheiser hd 598 se off the x5 2nd edition sound was great was also using it  combination with my e17k and I think it sounds a bit better this way but might just be me ?    anyway a friend of mine gave me their ultimate ears 11 pro's today and even though they are not made for my ears they seam to fit them pretty good, they sound great with my s7 edge and the x5 .  I was very surprised how easy the 11 pros are to drive, more so then the 1mores and they certainly do sound better then both the sennheisers and the 1more headphones - looking forward to testing them more and also getting a higher end pair of sennheisers over the ear headphones as well

Users who are viewing this thread

Back