FiiO X5 2nd gen Impressions and Discussion thread
Mar 21, 2017 at 11:37 AM Post #6,466 of 7,088
It is hard for me to say warm or hot, where is the line between them? :wink:

Hot to me would mean that you can't touch it because it will burn you. I'd say my X5II gets warm, but not hot. FiiO's run warm. Every FiiO DAP or amp I've owned is like this. They've never been hot, but will be warm during use. If you think it's abnormally warm or hot, then contact FiiO.

Mar 21, 2017 at 11:44 AM Post #6,467 of 7,088
  Hello guys,
I am a young FiiO user. I just bought Fiio X5II + A5, all new and have a black color.
I found that both of them becoming worm while working. A5 much warmer that x5II.
Is it normal for X5II to warm, become very warm?
I use:
1. X5II + Ostry KC06a = player is warm always.
2. X5II + A5 + JVC SZ2000 = player is warm always and amp is very worm, I would say maybe hot. 
And I wonder is it Ok or it is abnormal and it is a reason to worry about?

Thank you.

Mostly normal. 

You want to avoid them getting too warm too much time as it degrades the batteries. Avoid using while charging, especially with SC2000 which require tons of power. 

But yeah, it is normal to be pretty warm. 

My X5ii at max volume or almost max can get a bit warm, but I wouldn't say hot. But if used while charging, it get blazing warm. I avoid doing that and it stays like a cool potato. 

Mar 21, 2017 at 3:18 PM Post #6,469 of 7,088
  Thank you, guys. I would definitely say that my X5II and A5 are not hot when using, in such case. Because I can easily keep in hand. And I feel x5II warm and A5 very warm, but not hot. But both of them become warm in a short time, in ~10 min. 

Totally normal. 

You should try to hold them in hand, or very loose carrying bags, always leave them enough space to cool down. All DAPs and AMPs that provide this much power will need to dissipate the heat generated in the process!

Mar 21, 2017 at 7:56 PM Post #6,470 of 7,088
I orderes and waiting now for such case for the pair of x5II and a5: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tuff-Luv-Faux-Leather-Case-Cover-for-Fiio-X5-2nd-Gen-E12-Amp-Black-/142314524494?hash=item21229b4f4e:g:fVoAAOSwWxNYrfQF
What do you think, is it safe to use such case according to what was discussed above?

Mar 21, 2017 at 8:19 PM Post #6,471 of 7,088
  I orderes and waiting now for such case for the pair of x5II and a5: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tuff-Luv-Faux-Leather-Case-Cover-for-Fiio-X5-2nd-Gen-E12-Amp-Black-/142314524494?hash=item21229b4f4e:g:fVoAAOSwWxNYrfQF
What do you think, is it safe to use such case according to what was discussed above?

Not safe... 

Both devices will warm more than normal and heat dissipation is not optimal

But it looks cool and rad! 

I would avoid any kind of case if using inside or outside in temperature higher than 25C, but if temperature is lower than 25C, and if you don't put it in a pocket, it should be okay. 

Also, do not use them inside that case while charging - they heat more while charging and using inside that case will further increase the temperature as it lowers the heat dissipation. 

Of course, if you're worried about heat.

I had enough FiiO devices and overheated enough to know that some heat will NOT kill a FiiO DAP or AMP. It is just a precaution. 

Mar 21, 2017 at 10:08 PM Post #6,472 of 7,088
I have had a Tuff Luv case for my X5ii And X3 1st gen  for a long time and they do get warm but  I've had no problems and they are 2 and 3 years old. I also keep them in my pocket all day at work in 90 plus degree weather.

Mar 21, 2017 at 11:19 PM Post #6,473 of 7,088
  I have had a Tuff Luv case for my X5ii And X3 1st gen  for a long time and they do get warm but  I've had no problems and they are 2 and 3 years old. I also keep them in my pocket all day at work in 90 plus degree weather.

That is good to know! 

I haven't had the courage to do this as I feared that heat might degrade the DAP, but it is good to know it doesn't 
wink.gif

FiiO still recommends we don't do this though, E12A manual ->Case -> don't use E12A while in a case 
redface.gif

Mar 22, 2017 at 8:18 AM Post #6,475 of 7,088
  Didn't know you could get a case for the 12A. Would love to find a Dignis case for my X5ii that I could get sent to the UK. Amazon.Com won't ship.

We Europeans are out of luck many times when it comes to certain things... 

So many interesting products that won't ship to Europe that it's annoying. Well, we do have to pay absurd taxes sometimes so certain sites don't ship to protect us from taxes and buyers remorse. 

Mar 24, 2017 at 3:21 AM Post #6,476 of 7,088
How x5 II behaves with Sandisk 200gb cards?
I found reports of been successful. Should I format the card first?
If I would, I'd to it via device itself, I suppose.
Updating media lib on x3 II is not hard and time consuming. Is it
different on x5? On x3 no automatic update, as far as I know.
Best regards all.

Mar 24, 2017 at 7:12 AM Post #6,477 of 7,088
  How x5 II behaves with Sandisk 200gb cards?
I found reports of been successful. Should I format the card first?
If I would, I'd to it via device itself, I suppose.
Updating media lib on x3 II is not hard and time consuming. Is it
different on x5? On x3 no automatic update, as far as I know.
Best regards all.

200 gig cards work just fine.  Format the card in the DAP itself to avoid any playback issues.  The setting for updating the library are the same with the X5II so you can set it to automatic or manual.

Mar 24, 2017 at 7:52 AM Post #6,478 of 7,088
Yes, I have two 200 gig sd cards in mine and it works just fine. I'd recommend formatting the cards once you put them into your DAP. It worked for me, and it apparently works for other people too. 

Mar 24, 2017 at 8:09 AM Post #6,479 of 7,088
What fourrobert13 said. I have always used Sandisk cards. The 200gb versions work fine in the X3ii, X5ii, X7 and a Questyle QP1R. Never had any problems. I format them on my laptop, but it is best practice to do it on the DAP.

Mar 28, 2017 at 12:11 AM Post #6,480 of 7,088
Got my X5 II  !!!
I updated fw to 2.1 first. Then loaded an album on available class 4 card
and bundled it with Etymotic hf5 earphones.
Well... Album is low on volume, have to say. I had to wind device volume
up to over 70. Today I will buy before mentioned sandisk 200gb card, the
10 class. It would probably be much better.
Is this volume up on x5 normal? Further, I might be looking after new buds.
Neutral, flat. Any other idea aside Etymotic? Locally, it is almost all about
Sennheiser. Internet buy seems to be out of question, sadly. What would
anyone recommend for neutral?
Finally, I have an impression of fw be a bit slow.
I will report news, if of interest to someone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back