FiiO X5 2nd gen Impressions and Discussion thread
Aug 21, 2016 at 7:14 PM Post #5,701 of 7,088
  Next week I'll try x5ii with ex1

I love listening to my X5ii with my EX1s! They are bright and spacious, and I don't find them uncomfortable at all--with the right tips. If the rest of DUNU's IEMs are as good as this partnership with Fiio, I might have to look into their products more seriously.

If you love heavy bass, though, you may need to use the EQ. The EX1s can handle plenty of bass, they're just not overly-bassy by themselves, if that makes sense.

Aug 21, 2016 at 7:17 PM Post #5,702 of 7,088
I converted a dts song to wav but the audio quality and loses volume, how can I do to keep him multi-channel and read on x5ii?

Sorry for being late, but my promised post on converting DTS is here :D

https://www.dropbox.com/s/kk3zxqessdzaxlg/foobar2000-5.1%20%26%20crossfeed%20to%20headphones%202.zip?dl=0

Simply unzip this package and click foobar2000.exe to run a portable foobar installation which is configured to use Dolby Headphone to decode 5.1 DTS music. You can also press Ctrl-A to select all the music files you've loaded into foobar, right click on them and select Convert->5.1ch->headphone to convert them into flac files that the X5 will recognize and play with the same sound as on the computer.

The volume will be lower but this is to provide headroom for unknown volume swings in the 5.1 channel file.

:)

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Aug 22, 2016 at 5:40 AM Post #5,703 of 7,088
  I love listening to my X5ii with my EX1s! They are bright and spacious, and I don't find them uncomfortable at all--with the right tips. If the rest of DUNU's IEMs are as good as this partnership with Fiio, I might have to look into their products more seriously.

If you love heavy bass, though, you may need to use the EQ. The EX1s can handle plenty of bass, they're just not overly-bassy by themselves, if that makes sense.

I am a bit confused are the Fiio ex1 those shown under here BECAUSE they look similar to Dunu titans ?

Aug 22, 2016 at 7:22 AM Post #5,704 of 7,088

I am a bit confused are the Fiio ex1 those shown under here BECAUSE they look similar to Dunu titans ?

They are Fiio's own version of Dunu. There still are places where Dunu is still written on the package, and no one tries to hide that, but Fiio made them available in more parts of the world through more resellers. 

This is why Dunu is also an amazing brand for IEMs that always should be taken seriously. 

I just remembered that this was discussed before, I'm not sure what exactly are differences between EX1 and Dunu version of them, (haven't heard the Dunu version) but I think that it was Fiio warranty and availability + a tweak to the sound. I can say that EX1 sounds realistically about the same as IEMs that are 2X their price or more, with similar signatures, after testing them in depth against a few dozen others. But again, EX1 has a warm, musical, friendly sound (depends on tastes how good they come off as).

Aug 22, 2016 at 7:37 AM Post #5,705 of 7,088

They are Fiio's own version of Dunu. There still are places where Dunu is still written on the package, and no one tries to hide that, but Fiio made them available in more parts of the world through more resellers. 

This is why Dunu is also an amazing brand for IEMs that always should be taken seriously. 

I just remembered that this was discussed before, I'm not sure what exactly are differences between EX1 and Dunu version of them, (haven't heard the Dunu version) but I think that it was Fiio warranty and availability + a tweak to the sound. I can say that EX1 sounds realistically about the same as IEMs that are 2X their price or more, with similar signatures, after testing them in depth against a few dozen others. But again, EX1 has a warm, musical, friendly sound (depends on tastes how good they come off as).

Thanx for the explanation but i will wait until this weekend because i  go to the shop where they sell the Grado GR8e....
biggrin.gif

Aug 22, 2016 at 9:28 AM Post #5,706 of 7,088
Sorry for being late, but my promised post on converting DTS is here
biggrin.gif

https://www.dropbox.com/s/kk3zxqessdzaxlg/foobar2000-5.1%20%26%20crossfeed%20to%20headphones%202.zip?dl=0

Simply unzip this package and click foobar2000.exe to run a portable foobar installation which is configured to use Dolby Headphone to decode 5.1 DTS music. You can also press Ctrl-A to select all the music files you've loaded into foobar, right click on them and select Convert->5.1ch->headphone to convert them into flac files that the X5 will recognize and play with the same sound as on the computer.

The volume will be lower but this is to provide headroom for unknown volume swings in the 5.1 channel file.

smily_headphones1.gif

thanks

Aug 22, 2016 at 9:59 AM Post #5,707 of 7,088
Sorry for being late, but my promised post on converting DTS is here
biggrin.gif

smily_headphones1.gif

many thanks for the link, it was very useful. foobar is complete with all components.

Aug 22, 2016 at 11:31 PM Post #5,708 of 7,088

I hope you will be very happy with the combination! 

Dunus are one really nice IEM, and X5ii just makes them better XD 

Please keep us dated with how it sounds! 

Very pleased with the combination of X5II and DN-2000J.  I'll leave it for many others to describe the amazing sound, as I don't have the experience with many different iems or players nor the colorful vocabulary.  But I do wish the X5II had a crossfade feature like rockbox.  Random playing of my entire library, as I like to do, can be abrupt going from song to song.

Thanks for everyone's contributions and reflections!
Steve

Aug 23, 2016 at 1:07 AM Post #5,709 of 7,088
Hi Steve

I've read some reviews on the 2000J and they say the bass is good, but the treble is quite strong. As someone who is treble sensitive, and find the Dunu Titan and FiiO EX1 a bit harsh, how do you fine  the J's?

Regards

Darren

Aug 23, 2016 at 5:00 AM Post #5,711 of 7,088
Hi!
I'm currently considering this DAP to replace my aging rig which is a Sansa Clip+ paired with a Fiio E11 (not K).
I really like how it sounds but wouldn't mind a step up, and the 2 different batteries are really a pain to maintain (mainly because the E11 couldn't be used while charging).

How would the X5II compare to this setup?

The headphones I currently use are :
- Momentum 2.0 On-ear (@ work)
- HD598 (@ home)
- Modded AKG K550MKII (when ambient noise is an issue)
- Klipsch S4 (when travelling light)

I hope this same question wasn't already asked, I admit I haven't read the whole 381 pages (but a great part).

Thanks!

Aug 23, 2016 at 7:33 AM Post #5,712 of 7,088
  Hi Steve

I've read some reviews on the 2000J and they say the bass is good, but the treble is quite strong. As someone who is treble sensitive, and find the Dunu Titan and FiiO EX1 a bit harsh, how do you fine  the J's?

Regards

Darren

If you found the treble on EX1 harsh, you need something reaaaaly smooth. Like Audeze levels of smoothness. Maybe HD650 smooth? Or sennheiser urbanite smooth?

(The point is that EX1 is smooth for most people 
etysmile.gif
)

Hi!
I'm currently considering this DAP to replace my aging rig which is a Sansa Clip+ paired with a Fiio E11 (not K).
I really like how it sounds but wouldn't mind a step up, and the 2 different batteries are really a pain to maintain (mainly because the E11 couldn't be used while charging).

How would the X5II compare to this setup?

The headphones I currently use are :
- Momentum 2.0 On-ear (@ work)
- HD598 (@ home)
- Modded AKG K550MKII (when ambient noise is an issue)
- Klipsch S4 (when travelling light)

I hope this same question wasn't already asked, I admit I haven't read the whole 381 pages (but a great part).

Thanks!

X5ii will be much clearer sounding, dynamics will be better, sound will be more neutral and treble will be less rolled off. X5ii will be able to drive all the headphones you have there, and you probably won't need to use E11 as an amp. 

Aug 23, 2016 at 9:40 AM Post #5,714 of 7,088

If you found the treble on EX1 harsh, you need something reaaaaly smooth. Like Audeze levels of smoothness. Maybe HD650 smooth? Or sennheiser urbanite smooth?

(The point is that EX1 is smooth for most people 
etysmile.gif
)

X5ii will be much clearer sounding, dynamics will be better, sound will be more neutral and treble will be less rolled off. X5ii will be able to drive all the headphones you have there, and you probably won't need to use E11 as an amp. 

<br class="Apple-interchange-newline"><div id="inner-editor"></div>

with the hd598 x5 drive without any problem.

Aug 23, 2016 at 9:58 AM Post #5,715 of 7,088
  <br class="Apple-interchange-newline"><div id="inner-editor"></div>

with the hd598 x5 drive without any problem.

I've had a pair of HD650's with an X5ii and E12A and liked them. Also liked the Shure 1540 closed back headphones I replaced them with. Don't really like the Nighthawkes with the X7 and that is why they are up for sale here.

Might even get rid of the X7 and go back to the X5ii/E12a combo. Really like the bass boost on the E12a. Can't seem to replicate it with EQ.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back