FiiO X5 2nd gen Impressions and Discussion thread
Aug 26, 2016 at 8:34 AM Post #5,734 of 7,088
I've got a significant birthday coming up so I've been looking around at what DAPs are out there that would be an upgrade over the X3II (not that I'm unhappy with the X3II). But can anyone tell me how much better the X5II would be soundwise..anyone who had or had both the X3ii and X5II. I know you have 2 card slots on the X5II which is great and a larger screen too but I don't know if it's a huge difference in sound.

Aug 26, 2016 at 9:01 AM Post #5,735 of 7,088
  I've got a significant birthday coming up so I've been looking around at what DAPs are out there that would be an upgrade over the X3II (not that I'm unhappy with the X3II). But can anyone tell me how much better the X5II would be soundwise..anyone who had or had both the X3ii and X5II. I know you have 2 card slots on the X5II which is great and a larger screen too but I don't know if it's a huge difference in sound.

I own both now.  I'm terrible at describing sound so take this with a grain of salt.  Someone may be able to describe it much better than me.  Going back and forth volume matched with the same IEMs and tracks the X5II definitely sounds better.  It seems to be slightly more detailed and airy over the X3II.  I pick up more details in the highs compared to the X3II.  It's not night and day difference, but you can definitely hear it.  On the low end they seem the same to me.  Mids may be a touch more forward on the X5, but this is tough to say for sure and has really been track dependent.  I use the X5 with FiiO ex1 IEMs and it really makes them sing.  Sound stage seems about the same to me.  Overall, the X5 has a more premium feel to it.  Smoother edges, quieter wheel function, recessed buttons, and album art appears to display correctly regardless of the pixel ratio.  I'm very happy with the X5II and will admit the X3II hasn't seen much use because of this.  

Aug 26, 2016 at 9:32 AM Post #5,736 of 7,088
  I own both now.  I'm terrible at describing sound so take this with a grain of salt.  Someone may be able to describe it much better than me.  Going back and forth volume matched with the same IEMs and tracks the X5II definitely sounds better.  It seems to be slightly more detailed and airy over the X3II.  I pick up more details in the highs compared to the X3II.  It's not night and day difference, but you can definitely hear it.  On the low end they seem the same to me.  Mids may be a touch more forward on the X5, but this is tough to say for sure and has really been track dependent.  I use the X5 with FiiO ex1 IEMs and it really makes them sing.  Sound stage seems about the same to me.  Overall, the X5 has a more premium feel to it.  Smoother edges, quieter wheel function, recessed buttons, and album art appears to display correctly regardless of the pixel ratio.  I'm very happy with the X5II and will admit the X3II hasn't seen much use because of this.  

That sounds like a pretty good description of how it sounds to me. I've read reviews where they get so detailed into how a DAP sounds that I don't even understand what they mean. Sounds like a nice device and I'll probably go for it since I was leaning towards getting it anyways and I like Fiio products. Thanks for your input.
beerchug.gif

I'm curious about the EX1. Is the sound leakage from them very noticeable? I've read that it was. I almost bought them awhile back until I read that...I do most of my listening at work in a quiet office but there are 20 other people in the office too so if it leaks sound it's probably not a good idea to use them for work.

Aug 26, 2016 at 9:44 AM Post #5,737 of 7,088

That sounds like a pretty good description of how it sounds to me. I've read reviews where they get so detailed into how a DAP sounds that I don't even understand what they mean. Sounds like a nice device and I'll probably go for it since I was leaning towards getting it anyways and I like Fiio products. Thanks for your input.
beerchug.gif

I'm curious about the EX1. Is the sound leakage from them very noticeable? I've read that it was. I almost bought them awhile back until I read that...I do most of my listening at work in a quiet office but there are 20 other people in the office too so if it leaks sound it's probably not a good idea to use them for work.

I'm not sure the sound leaks as much as people say it does.  No one in my office has complained about it, nor has my wife (and she would tell me...lol).  I think you'd have to listen at high volume levels to make the sound leak.  I've never gotten past 22 steps on the X5 and 26 steps on the X3.  The EX1 is an excellent value and you get more IEM than what you pay for IMO.  

Aug 26, 2016 at 9:55 AM Post #5,738 of 7,088
I felt both of them, there are differences and how, x3 is warm and pleasant but lacks detail, x5 has been a pleasant surprise for me, the sound is more airy, full-bodied, detailed and with higher resolution, and short x5ii superior not just to X3II.

Aug 26, 2016 at 9:58 AM Post #5,739 of 7,088
  I'm not sure the sound leaks as much as people say it does.  No one in my office has complained about it, nor has my wife (and she would tell me...lol).  I think you'd have to listen at high volume levels to make the sound leak.  I've never gotten past 22 steps on the X5 and 26 steps on the X3.  The EX1 is an excellent value and you get more IEM than what you pay for IMO.  

I typically listen at 20-24 on my X3 sometimes lower depending on the the volume of the track...some CDs are definitely louder than others. My wife would definitely tell me too if she could hear my IEMs leaking sound (she hates almost everything I listen too :) I'll probably pick up a pair of EX1s too...from what 've read they are well made and sound terrific as you have said already.

Aug 26, 2016 at 10:00 AM Post #5,740 of 7,088
  I felt both of them, there are differences and how, x3 is warm and pleasant but lacks detail, x5 has been a pleasant surprise for me, the sound is more airy, full-bodied, detailed and with higher resolution, and short x5ii superior not just to X3II.

Thanks for the response. The X5II does seem like the logical next step going from the X3II plus it's not overly expensive.

Aug 26, 2016 at 2:30 PM Post #5,741 of 7,088

Thanks for the response. The X5II does seem like the logical next step going from the X3II plus it's not overly expensive.

I own the X5 and bought the X3II at about the same time. I really liked the design of the X3II and it's portability in particular. The sound quality, not so much. It is noticeably darker-it's not quite neutral, the treble and even upper midrange are a little rolled off. 

The X5 has a bit of treble lift and sounds much more airy and open as a result. The X5ii is supposed to be very slightly airier still. Based on my listening experience and what I can infer from reviews, the X5 series has a slight V shaped sound signature. I absolutely think it's fantastic and I think the vast majority of people will enjoy the sound signature. 

Aug 26, 2016 at 2:51 PM Post #5,742 of 7,088

I own the X5 and bought the X3II at about the same time. I really liked the design of the X3II and it's portability in particular. The sound quality, not so much. It is noticeably darker-it's not quite neutral, the treble and even upper midrange are a little rolled off. 

The X5 has a bit of treble lift and sounds much more airy and open as a result. The X5ii is supposed to be very slightly airier still. Based on my listening experience and what I can infer from reviews, the X5 series has a slight V shaped sound signature. I absolutely think it's fantastic and I think the vast majority of people will enjoy the sound signature. 

I would disagree with the X5II having a V shaped sound signature and I know others will as well.  The mids are there if not slightly more up front than the X3II.  Yes there is more air in the highs, but that doesn't translate to a V shape sound.  

Aug 26, 2016 at 5:37 PM Post #5,743 of 7,088
  I would disagree with the X5II having a V shaped sound signature and I know others will as well.  The mids are there if not slightly more up front than the X3II.  Yes there is more air in the highs, but that doesn't translate to a V shape sound.  

That's right is not a V shape instead and very natural and neutral, and the midrange and there are wonderful

Aug 28, 2016 at 6:29 PM Post #5,745 of 7,088
X5 is top notch. I'm glad I found out about the model through head fi.

I am intrigued by the possibility of an X72G. No one's made mention of it, but I suspect it's inevitable. The UI of the X5 is the main weakness. Having a searchable database would be a huge boon for usability and convenience for sure. 

I'll have to read up on the AM's though, as I don't know much about them. 

With 200 gb microsd's available now, a 400 gb library can be accommodated. Search ability would be MOST welcome. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back