FiiO X5 2nd gen Impressions and Discussion thread
Apr 27, 2016 at 4:15 AM Post #5,176 of 7,088
Hey everyone,
This is my first post here but I've been reading a fair bit.
I've had my Fiio X5 2nd Gen for over six months now and it's been great. I upgraded from a 120gb iPod Classic which to be honest... Went through the wash.
After discovering the amazing sound quality of this DAP, I'm really glad it did. I'm still running the standard firmware and it seems fine to me through my Sennheiser Momentum Premium over ear headphones. I was wondering what are the major improvements are to the firmware since release? Any features that have changed your experience with the X5ii?

Welcome to Head Fi, sorry about your wallet!

The latest firmware - 1.27 beta LINK - adds a host of features including a rudimentary library search, replay gain, variable line out, faster USB storage transfer speeds, and DSD output through coaxial (DoP). It's pretty stable and I use it without issues. I don't use it as a USB DAC though so I don't know if there is any instability with the USB DAC functionality.

Also, check out the custom themes available for the X5ii, or if you're adventurous you can try making your own. Frankly, I'll never use the stock themes again. :wink:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/771221/fiio-x5-ii-custom-themes-thread#post_11680988

Apr 27, 2016 at 4:26 AM Post #5,177 of 7,088
Thanks so much for your reply.

The headphones were a gift so it's not all hitting my wallet! I will admit that the X5ii and 2 SanDisk 64gb SD cards weren't cheap though... Even with my dodgy Kogan importer.

All great features, I think I will do the software update tonight or tomorrow. Library search is particularly important for me.

Custom themes? Are they easy to install?

Apr 27, 2016 at 4:42 AM Post #5,178 of 7,088
Thanks so much for your reply.

The headphones were a gift so it's not all hitting my wallet! I will admit that the X5ii and 2 SanDisk 64gb SD cards weren't cheap though... Even with my dodgy Kogan importer.

All great features, I think I will do the software update tonight or tomorrow. Library search is particularly important for me.

Custom themes? Are they easy to install?

Just load them the same as the regular firmware

- Load the x5ii.fw file on to the root of the card (not in any folders) in slot1.
- Turn the player off
- Simultaneously hold the power-on and the upper left button on the front of the player (above the wheel) until you see the update process start.
-When the update process starts don't touch anything until it's finished and the device will restart itself.

If you don't like it you can go back to the old firmware without issue using the same process. The official 1.2 FW is linked in the 1.27 beta link I provided. I've done it dozens of times while creating custom themes and haven't had an issue once.

You can only update the firmware on a card formatted as FAT32 in slot 1. Actually, before you load your music, I'd recommend you format your cards using the format tool in the player's System Settings (scroll down to the Format option) as it's been proven to be the best way to ensure smooth playback and compatibility. I've formatted Sandisk 200gb mSD cards using the X5ii without issues and they work flawlessly in all my players (AK100 mk2, AK240, X5, X5ii).

Edit: You can see images of the custom themes by looking in the picture gallery found on the right hand side of the custom themes thread.

Apr 27, 2016 at 9:09 AM Post #5,179 of 7,088
Welcome Lochzilla (are you Scottish? :))

I don't think anyone who updated their player has gone back.
Besides the added capabilities it  sounds slightly better and runs smoother. (at least for me with the latest Beta)

Apr 28, 2016 at 6:32 AM Post #5,180 of 7,088
Wrong! The main reason I bought this player is for the OTG USB.And it works fine with a 256GB Cosair flash drive. The only thing that the beta does for me is that it is a little faster.

Apr 30, 2016 at 6:20 AM Post #5,183 of 7,088
Originally Posted by Koukol /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Besides the added capabilities it  sounds slightly better

Actually, I don't like the sound of FW 1.27 beta at all.

Apr 30, 2016 at 1:10 PM Post #5,184 of 7,088

Originally Posted by Koukol /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Besides the added capabilities it  sounds slightly better

Actually, I don't like the sound of FW 1.27 beta at all.

Which version do you prefer and can you describe the change in sound?

I'll have to revert back to see if I still think it sounds better.
My first impression was it sounded slightly smoother.

May 1, 2016 at 9:27 PM Post #5,186 of 7,088
There is a massdrop offer for X5II. edit: oops. it has ended.

May 1, 2016 at 11:22 PM Post #5,187 of 7,088
Don't know why I didn't notice this before.  In system settings near the bottom of the list is "Reset Media Library".  Not the same as "Update Media Lib".   Anyone know what this does?

May 1, 2016 at 11:52 PM Post #5,189 of 7,088
If  you're having issues with updating the library it allows you to simply empty the data file with library index in it.  Its so you can start with a clean slate.  Good for trouble-shooting

May 2, 2016 at 4:29 AM Post #5,190 of 7,088

Which version do you prefer and can you describe the change in sound?

I vastly prefer FW 1.1 (as you can see from my signature). It sounded darker. FW 1.2 and 1.27 are too light and anemic for me.

There are some new settings that appeared. This is something that might had changed sound ?

I don't think so. The settings gives minimal impact on sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back