FiiO X5 2nd gen Impressions and Discussion thread
Apr 19, 2016 at 8:15 PM Post #5,146 of 7,088

You should be able to delete songs one by one on the player.
While the song plays hit the upper left button and scroll all the way to the trash can icon on the right.
Click trash then OK.

Lately I am not able to delete files using the player. I used to find the file I want to delete in folder view & hit the top left button & scroll to the garbage can. After I press the center button the player looks like its performing an action and gives me a message that the delete process is unsuccessful. I have been deleting by connecting to a mac & using the simple option to "empty trash", not the "secure empty trash", since that gives me trouble with external flash storage. It's not a problem for me, unless it is better to delete using the player. Could this develop into another problem down the line?

Strange.
Do you have the latest updates?
Maybe the problem is the song is in more than one folder.
I've only added albums so far so I just delete as song while it plays.

Apr 20, 2016 at 5:50 AM Post #5,148 of 7,088
Any owner or knowledgeable person can answer ;

1. Comparing E17k USB DAC Quality - X5 2nd Gen USB DAC section is an upgrade ? Or the same ? Or the Below ?

2. Fiio X5 2nd Gen got Native DSD support on the player - Right ? Not for the DSD file stored in the Computer HDD (via USB DAC mode) ?

3. Possible To browse Music files from the both cards at the same time ? No Reboot needed ?

Thanks..

Apr 20, 2016 at 12:37 PM Post #5,149 of 7,088

I tend to agree.
But I'm not so sure for something like speakers where the materials like the cone and supporting rubber will change with time.
I'm just saying it could be plausible for materials that actually move since they could loosen with playing.
Like you said (and I did earlier) it's more likely our senses adjusting.
It took me months to adjust to my darker plasma TV.
Now I love it and everyone's led/lcd's look overly bright to me.

Our brains are quite uncanny.
I've found myself many times making small adjustments with the X5ii EQ  and actually heard the results until I dial in a more aggressive change and nothing happened.
That's when I remember the file is 24/96000
redface.gif

I'd sincerely like to hear a theory on how a digital device can change for the better in time.

For a purely digital device, there isn't any. But purely digital devices are rare in audio. At some point the digital is converted to analog. And analog devices invariably have capacitors (purely digital devices do also, but I can't think of a mechanism where they could have an effect so long as the signal always remains in the digital domain). Electrolytic capacitors have a dielectric which forms with application of voltage. This results in measurable changes. http://www.audio-forums.com/threads/capacitors-burn-in-and-mythology.89115/
Now how much audible effect this has is rightly debatable. There may be some papers published in AES, but haven't checked. The gold standard would be to do a double blind test.
But unlike most of the snake oily stuff seen in high end, there is some theory behind this.

Apr 20, 2016 at 1:03 PM Post #5,151 of 7,088

I tend to agree.
But I'm not so sure for something like speakers where the materials like the cone and supporting rubber will change with time.
I'm just saying it could be plausible for materials that actually move since they could loosen with playing.
Like you said (and I did earlier) it's more likely our senses adjusting.
It took me months to adjust to my darker plasma TV.
Now I love it and everyone's led/lcd's look overly bright to me.

Our brains are quite uncanny.
I've found myself many times making small adjustments with the X5ii EQ  and actually heard the results until I dial in a more aggressive change and nothing happened.
That's when I remember the file is 24/96000
redface.gif

I'd sincerely like to hear a theory on how a digital device can change for the better in time.

For a purely digital device, there isn't any. But purely digital devices are rare in audio. At some point the digital is converted to analog. And analog devices invariably have capacitors (purely digital devices do also, but I can't think of a mechanism where they could have an effect so long as the signal always remains in the digital domain). Electrolytic capacitors have a dielectric which forms with application of voltage. This results in measurable changes. http://www.audio-forums.com/threads/capacitors-burn-in-and-mythology.89115/
Now how much audible effect this has is rightly debatable. There may be some papers published in AES, but haven't checked. The gold standard would be to do a double blind test.
But unlike most of the snake oily stuff seen in high end, there is some theory behind this.

Thanks, SB.

I just have my doubts when people suggest "burn-in" can take a device/HP from shrill to warm.
That is a substantial change.
If this was true I believe it would be common knowledge with most people and not just an audiophile looking for the smallest improvement on a forum like this. (and we can't even agree on it.)
Everyone knows a fine cheese and wine can improve which is why winery's age their product.

Bottom line is...there are so many variables that could explain a device/HP improving with time...including something so simple as the end of allergy season. (my allergies are effecting my hearing right now)
I just believe (at the moment) that our senses ability to adapt plays are larger part in this phenomenon.

Apr 20, 2016 at 1:07 PM Post #5,152 of 7,088

Thanks, SB.

I just have my doubts when people suggest "burn-in" can take a device/HP from shrill to warm.
That is a substantial change.
If this was true I believe it would be common knowledge with most people and not just an audiophile looking for the smallest improvement on a forum like this. (and we can't even agree on it.)
Everyone knows a fine cheese and wine can improve which is why winery's age their product.

Bottom line is...there are so many variables that could explain a device/HP improving with time...including something so simple as the end of allergy season. (my allergies are effecting my hearing right now)
I just believe (at the moment) that our senses ability to adapt plays are larger part in this phenomenon.

I agree. Any effects from electronics burn-in would likely be swamped by other factors. They should be subtle at best. Devices often sound better as they warm up to operating temperatures, but that is not related to burn-in and has to do more with bias levels.

And as mentioned speaker drivers can break in, but how much this matters in the real world is hotly debated.

Edit: And yes, I have come across the phenomenon that sometimes my systems will sound better than at other times, it is mystifying, but I guess a part of the hobby
smile_phones.gif

Apr 20, 2016 at 9:46 PM Post #5,153 of 7,088
electronic burn in is as mythical as cable burn in

Apr 21, 2016 at 12:34 AM Post #5,154 of 7,088

1. Comparing E17k USB DAC Quality - X5 2nd Gen USB DAC section is an upgrade ? Or the same ? Or the Below ?

2. Fiio X5 2nd Gen got Native DSD support on the player - Right ? Not for the DSD file stored in the Computer HDD (via USB DAC mode) ?

3. Possible To browse Music files from the both cards at the same time ? No Reboot needed ?

Thanks..

http://www.fiio.me/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=40503

Files from both cards are combined (at least in the Albums folder which I've only used so far.)

Apr 21, 2016 at 2:51 AM Post #5,155 of 7,088

DSD support on X5-II is a bit patchy.
I did a lot of experimentation on DSF files, and I found the following:

Onboard micro SD to headphones and line output
DSD64 - Native
DSD128 - Native

Onboard micro SD to S/PDIF (DoP mode on 1.27 beta)
DSD64 - Native
DSD128 - Not supported

Onboard micro SD to S/PDIF (D2P mode on 1.27 beta)
DSD64 - Converted to 88.2kHz PCM
DSD128 - Not supported

USB DAC mode to headphones and line output
DSD64 - Native (DoP driver)
DSD128 - Not supported

USB DAC mode to S/PDIF (on 1.27 beta)
DSD64 - Converted to 172.4kHz PCM
DSD128 - Not supported

One thing I noticed is that DSD128 file will give an error unless you turn off S/PDIF mode on the X5-II's settings, AND plug in a 3.5mm audio cable (not S/PDIF cable).

So the bottom line is DSD64 via S/PDIF works from SD card only (worked on Mojo at least)
DSD128 only works from SD card to headphones/line output. USB DAC mode can't do DSD128 because it uses DoP. (X5-II only supports upto PCM 192kHz, whereas PCM 384kHz is required to encapsulate DSD128 as DoP).

USB DAC mode only allows native DSD64 playback for X5-II's headphones and analogue line output. Not through to S/PDIF output.

Apr 21, 2016 at 9:42 AM Post #5,157 of 7,088
Fiio x5ii with fiio e12a iem amp and shure se535ltd red. Is it overwhelming?

I haven't decide to get x5ii yet. I got the shure n e12a for my huawei smartphone.

I find the X5ii and the E12A a great combination.  The X5ii may not need the E12A for most phones/IEMs but I prefer the knob volume control and Bass boost of the E12A.  SQ is great also.

YMMV,
r2

Apr 21, 2016 at 9:29 PM Post #5,158 of 7,088
Try with out Amp first... then slowly add amp to see the difference. I like X5II high gain without amp.

Apr 23, 2016 at 2:24 PM Post #5,160 of 7,088
  http://www.fiio.me/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=40503

Files from both cards are combined (at least in the Albums folder which I've only used so far.)

I have a second card on order, so will see if both cards' files are combined. But after powering it up, the unit always shows "card 1" and "card 2" and I obviously select 1.
All my music (classical) are in folders. Is there a trick to having the FiiO show all folders in both cards once I have the second one? or does it let me see both without having to select one by default? or is there something I'm missing?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back