FiiO X5 2nd gen Impressions and Discussion thread
Apr 23, 2016 at 4:05 PM Post #5,161 of 7,088

http://www.fiio.me/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=40503

Files from both cards are combined (at least in the Albums folder which I've only used so far.)

I have a second card on order, so will see if both cards' files are combined. But after powering it up, the unit always shows "card 1" and "card 2" and I obviously select 1.
All my music (classical) are in folders. Is there a trick to having the FiiO show all folders in both cards once I have the second one? or does it let me see both without having to select one by default? or is there something I'm missing?

Instead of browsing files from the two cards separately use "play by category" to find all albums,artists,genre, collection,playlist and recent from both cards.

Apr 23, 2016 at 4:28 PM Post #5,162 of 7,088
Playing from Folder view only shows what is on the card you have chosen.

Play from "Category" items are from both cards, if you "Update media lib" after loading files.

Or 

If on a Mac Get "Dapper" and use your iTunes playlist, which span both cards.

YMMV,
r2

Apr 24, 2016 at 4:51 AM Post #5,165 of 7,088
Playing from Folder view only shows what is on the card you have chosen.Good tip, thanks the only issue is that my nested folders titles containing multiple discs appear as separate folders instead of a single album title, increasing the number of items to be scrolled through. On the plus side I won't have to select a card to view as my collection on the unit increases. A reasonable solution for potentially 350GB of music.

Play from "Category" items are from both cards, if you "Update media lib" after loading

Good tip, thanks the only issue is that my nested folders titles containing multiple discs appear as separate folders instead of a single album title, increasing the number of items to be scrolled through. On the plus side I won't have to select a card to view as my collection on the unit increases. A reasonable solution for potentially 350GB of music.

Apr 26, 2016 at 5:23 AM Post #5,166 of 7,088
I'm thinking about combining my X5-II with a E12A with my Sennheiser HD25, anyone have any insight what this will do to the overall sound of my setup? 

Not a question if it's necessary or not, more curious about the outcome of the combination, I only listen to FLAC 16/24 bit.

Thanks for any answers

Apr 26, 2016 at 5:35 AM Post #5,167 of 7,088
  I'm thinking about combining my X5-II with a E12A with my Sennheiser HD25, anyone have any insight what this will do to the overall sound of my setup? 

Not a question if it's necessary or not, more curious about the outcome of the combination, I only listen to FLAC 16/24 bit.

Thanks for any answers

For Senn HD25, investing in headphones might be an option too. 

E12A is a smooth amp, with sliky treble, good bass, and sweet mids. That is how I would describe the sound of it. 

But HD 25 are pretty smooth to begin with. There are people who love this type of signature, consider your own tastes. 

Apr 26, 2016 at 5:49 AM Post #5,168 of 7,088

For Senn HD25, investing in headphones might be an option too. 

E12A is a smooth amp, with sliky treble, good bass, and sweet mids. That is how I would describe the sound of it. 

But HD 25 are pretty smooth to begin with. There are people who love this type of signature, consider your own tastes. 

Thanks for the response, I might be better off investing in Audeze Sine headphones instead then, I really like a clean and smooth signature.

Apr 26, 2016 at 5:59 AM Post #5,169 of 7,088

Thanks for the response, I might be better off investing in Audeze Sine headphones instead then, I really like a clean and smooth signature.

You really like on ear designs, no? 
biggrin.gif

Senn momentum are worth checking out too. 

Also, there are others few that are worth the bother, but mostly over the ear. If you can use open back, HD650 from sennheiser is probably the best smooth headphone I tested to date. 

Apr 26, 2016 at 6:07 AM Post #5,170 of 7,088

EDIT::: Audeze are not known for being smooth. They are clear and detailed but not smooth by any means. 

Um - yeah they are. I'd call the LCD2 really smooth. It's on of its strengths

Apr 26, 2016 at 6:09 AM Post #5,171 of 7,088
I'm with Brooko on this one, 100%. Well, at least in the sense that they aren't overly bright. I think it's a difference of terminology. To my ears, compared to the Momentums (v1.0) the LCD-2 are clear and articulate, but the mids and bass are very present on most Audeze headphones adding a sense of smoothness to the overall presentation, which keeps them from being analytical like the HD800. The el-8 are different from most Audeze headphones and many don't like them because they come across as brighter compared to the LCD line. The Sine are reported to be a very fun headphone for portable.

Edit: I'll also add that the Oppo PM-3 may be a good option if looking in that size/price range.

Apr 26, 2016 at 6:17 AM Post #5,172 of 7,088
I demoed LCD2 for two weeks at home. They're generally on the darker side smooth side, very deep mysterious sounding headphone.

With a few particular albums they reminded me of being deep under the ocean inside a submarine.

Not sure what we'd had for dinner that night...

Apr 26, 2016 at 3:31 PM Post #5,174 of 7,088
I had the 650's for about a year and they were just too veiled for me.
I sold them and bought the 600's which are much more to my tastes.

However, on some recordings I wish there was a slight dip in the 200hz range to clear up the bass.
Fortunately the X5ii can remedy this :)

Apr 27, 2016 at 4:05 AM Post #5,175 of 7,088
Hey everyone,
This is my first post here but I've been reading a fair bit.
I've had my Fiio X5 2nd Gen for over six months now and it's been great. I upgraded from a 120gb iPod Classic which to be honest... Went through the wash.
After discovering the amazing sound quality of this DAP, I'm really glad it did. I'm still running the standard firmware and it seems fine to me through my Sennheiser Momentum Premium over ear headphones. I was wondering what are the major improvements are to the firmware since release? Any features that have changed your experience with the X5ii?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back