FiiO X5 2nd gen Impressions and Discussion thread
Dec 3, 2015 at 10:21 AM Post #4,336 of 7,088
Also remember that the AK JR has problems being an USB DAC on 64bit operating systems on USB 3.
I've also not read anywhere if it works as USB dac on android through OTG. It also has output impedance of 2, which makes it not suitable for low impedance headphones such as SE846. The output impedance made me opt for fiio x5 2nd, which is arriving tomorrow.

Dec 5, 2015 at 5:31 AM Post #4,337 of 7,088
Is the x5ii that much of a upgrade over the x1?
I recently got the x1 and I've relized that without a amp, my klipsch x11i don't sound that well (because there a 50 ohm)
Should I get a amp? Or save up for a newer fiio or low ohm IEM?

Dec 5, 2015 at 6:20 AM Post #4,338 of 7,088
Is the x5ii that much of a upgrade over the x1?
I recently got the x1 and I've relized that without a amp, my klipsch x11i don't sound that well (because there a 50 ohm)
Should I get a amp? Or save up for a newer fiio or low ohm IEM?

Could you perhaps share what you dislike about the X1-X11i pairing?
Since you have only 'recently' obtained the X1, it might be expectation bias.
Give it a little longer, and if you still feel an upgrade is necessary, perhaps you can try out other players/amps before rushing into another purchase.

Dec 5, 2015 at 6:41 AM Post #4,339 of 7,088
Well, some music seems far away and the detail isn't as strong as one my iPod,
I did switch to my klipsc 3G that I upgraded from (15 ohm iem) and it helped,
But, is there a break in period? Or do I just need to get used to the higher quality vs a iPod?
Thank you
Could you perhaps share what you dislike about the X1-X11i pairing?
Since you have only 'recently' obtained the X1, it might be expectation bias.
Give it a little longer, and if you still feel an upgrade is necessary, perhaps you can try out other players/amps before rushing into another purchase.

Dec 5, 2015 at 8:18 AM Post #4,340 of 7,088
The X5II is tuned a bit warmer than Apple's devices IMO (I haven't tested other the phones I have here though). I find that the treble on my iPhone sounds a bit sharper, but I don't think this is more detail, but more distortion, though I can't be sure. There is tendency to perceive gear that sounds brighter or sharper in the treble as being more detailed when that is not the case. I don't find the X5II to be necessarily better than my iPhone 6 detail-wise with my better IEMs, but it seems to drive headphones better. What I'm thinking of testing is the E12A as an amp for both my iPhone and the X5 so that the headphone driving capability is taken out of the picture and I can compare them as a DAC. 

Dec 6, 2015 at 8:00 AM Post #4,341 of 7,088
Anyone a user of Shure SE846 with the X5ii? Have the SE846 and want to get a simple, great-sounding portable set-up, without a separate amp. Hoping the SE846 and an X5ii might be the answer...

Dec 6, 2015 at 5:02 PM Post #4,343 of 7,088
Whenever I shuffle music on the X5ii I keep getting the same songs cropping up all the time. Anyone else experiencing this?

Not at all. 

From where do you shuffle? Maybe you keep shuffling a single folder? Or a genera? Or a criteria? 

To shuffle the right way, you have to insert both cards, update the media library, then go to all music, (not folder browsing, not browsing by genera) and press play, and let it on shuffle. 

You can shuffle files inside a folder if you go to folder browsing, then select a song, then press next within that folder (shuffle activated). 

I never get the same song twice when shuffling, and I am sure that there is an algorythm that stops that. 

But if you were to select the first song from a folder, I think that there would be a certain ghost playlist that could come up again and again, but it never happened to me:)

Dec 6, 2015 at 5:11 PM Post #4,344 of 7,088
Not at all. 

From where do you shuffle? Maybe you keep shuffling a single folder? Or a genera? Or a criteria? 

To shuffle the right way, you have to insert both cards, update the media library, then go to all music, (not folder browsing, not browsing by genera) and press play, and let it on shuffle. 

You can shuffle files inside a folder if you go to folder browsing, then select a song, then press next within that folder (shuffle activated). 

I never get the same song twice when shuffling, and I am sure that there is an algorythm that stops that. 

But if you were to select the first song from a folder, I think that there would be a certain ghost playlist that could come up again and again, but it never happened to me:)

My library is updated.

I shuffle from all songs in the library or all songs under an artist. It's not literally exactly the same every time but some songs come up almost every time at some point and others never at all.

Dec 7, 2015 at 7:28 AM Post #4,345 of 7,088
How are you finding the search option in the latest beta version?

I'm thinking replacing my original X5 mainly because of this.

Dec 7, 2015 at 7:41 AM Post #4,346 of 7,088

VERY basic. One entry selection and it jumps straight to that entry. It is beta so perhaps it will improve with multiple selections followed by using the center button to activate the search, that's my hope anyway.

Dec 7, 2015 at 7:59 AM Post #4,347 of 7,088

Depends a lot on how much you would need it. 

If you already were using browsing by folder, and had things grouped in folders consisting on character, like folder A, folder B, and so on, this is about what it does, it does search one character, but not anything more complex. If it advances, even in the next generation, it is a step forward, but as it is now, it is a little basic, and primitive (and instable, it crashed mine 3 times)

Dec 7, 2015 at 8:13 AM Post #4,348 of 7,088
I have both x1 and x5 second, if you have money, x5 is excellent player, much more detail compared to the x1, BUT i am using it(the x5 second) with fiio e12 amp, because it is the same here - both x1 and x5 need an amp to move the headphones and to have good bass - i have schen hd598, beyer custom one pro, beyer dt 770 80 ohm, audiotechnika ath m50, sony mdr xb 950 , so even if you buy x5 second, without an amp - you will not like it, it does not have the power to punch the bass properly. That is my opinion so i am using it with an amp and i am very pleased, so i am using it this way - x5 second plus fiio e 12 - beyer 770dt 80, and the x1 with audiotechnika ath m50 on the go.

Dec 7, 2015 at 9:03 AM Post #4,349 of 7,088
I just got the X1 and am noticing a lack of bass, I'm now am going to plan on getting the x5ii but I'm not sure when.
I have both x1 and x5 second, if you have money, x5 is excellent player, much more detail compared to the x1, BUT i am using it(the x5 second) with fiio e12 amp, because it is the same here - both x1 and x5 need an amp to move the headphones and to have good bass - i have schen hd598, beyer custom one pro, beyer dt 770 80 ohm, audiotechnika ath m50, sony mdr xb 950 , so even if you buy x5 second, without an amp - you will not like it, it does not have the power to punch the bass properly. That is my opinion so i am using it with an amp and i am very pleased, so i am using it this way - x5 second plus fiio e 12 - beyer 770dt 80, and the x1 with audiotechnika ath m50 on the go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back