FiiO X5 2nd gen Impressions and Discussion thread
Nov 4, 2015 at 6:27 AM Post #4,051 of 7,088

I think he means that the iPod Classic has a lot of lag.  I'm guessing this because of the "Probably more snappy than the iPod Classic" part of his post.

That is indeed what I meant
bigsmile_face.gif

Nov 4, 2015 at 8:15 AM Post #4,052 of 7,088

Depends on the model.  iPhone 5S is pretty darn good - and there isn't a "night and day" difference. No doubt to me that the X3ii & X5ii is better for music.  Why - because it plays more formats, has more power, has expandable memory, and has a decent EQ.  But volume matched (with an SPL meter) and testing blind, the SQ is almost up there on the iP 5S, and it has no lack of "dynamics".

Sounds  a little different - yes.  Sounds hugely inferior - no.

Can't speak on your generalisation about iPods though 

To your ears, maybe. Some people may experience differently.

Nov 4, 2015 at 8:17 AM Post #4,053 of 7,088

I have to agree. When I purchased my FiiO X3ii I found more than a little difference in the sound quality between my old ipod touch 5th gen and the FiiO X3ii. Now with the X5ii I find it to be an upgrade over the X3ii but not as dramatic as is over the ipod touch but still noticeable enough.

I had a similar experience with the iBasso DX50. You only have to look at amazon reviews and elsewhere for Fiio/iBasso products from people coming from iDevices to know we're hardly alone.

Nov 4, 2015 at 8:24 AM Post #4,054 of 7,088

I had a similar experience with the iBasso DX50. You only have to look at amazon reviews and elsewhere for Fiio/iBasso products from people coming from iDevices to know we're hardly alone.

Oh I agree for sure. Even now when I listen to my iPod classic using the same IEMs as what I might use with the X5ii the difference in sound is not subtle. On the iPod the music sounds flat and lifeless but the same files on the X5ii sound so much better. The X5ii really does make the music come alive for lack of a better word...in my experience anyways.

Nov 4, 2015 at 8:28 AM Post #4,055 of 7,088

Oh I agree for sure. Even now when I listen to my iPod classic using the same IEMs as what I might use with the X5ii the difference in sound is not subtle. On the iPod the music sounds flat and lifeless but the same files on the X5ii sound so much better. The X5ii really does make the music come alive for lack of a better word...in my experience anyways.

Yeah same with my iPod Touch 5th gen​

Nov 4, 2015 at 9:29 AM Post #4,056 of 7,088

Yeah same with my iPod Touch 5th gen​

It was about three years ago that I bought the original X3 and was blown away by how much better it sounded than my iPod and then I had the X3ii and now the X5ii but I still go back to my iPod sometimes to mostly see if I still hear the dramatic difference I did when I first ditched the iPod and it is the same. The iPod still sounds flat and lifeless compared to any FiiO DAP I have owned. I take my iPod to work sometimes to give it a good listen and I always wish I had taken the X5ii because even now after listening to the X5ii after listening to the iPod all day I hear the same dramatic improvement in sound that I did the first time I listened to the X3...only it's even better because it's the X5ii.

Nov 4, 2015 at 2:24 PM Post #4,057 of 7,088
Just got the X5II, purchased brand new from B&H Photo, and when I took it out of package and laid it down on my desk it seemed that the back of the player was a little loose.  So I started lightly tapping on the back and noticed the top, left corner (when looking at the back of the device) is loose, can hear and see it give a bit.  The three other corners and center seem pretty solid.  Has anyone else noticed this loose back fit?

Thanks.

Nov 4, 2015 at 2:28 PM Post #4,058 of 7,088
  Just got the X5II, purchased brand new from B&H Photo, and when I took it out of package and laid it down on my desk it seemed that the back of the player was a little loose.  So I started lightly tapping on the back and noticed the top, left corner (when looking at the back of the device) is loose, can hear and see it give a bit.  The three other corners and center seem pretty solid.  Has anyone else noticed this loose back fit?

Thanks.

Mine isn't loose...sounds like a defect. It sucks but I think you should return/exchange it.

Nov 4, 2015 at 3:34 PM Post #4,059 of 7,088

Thanks.

Mine first was like this. 

I had no ideea why it was like that, so I took it back to the shop, and had it changed, I am thankfull to the official FIIO dealer in Romania, AVstore (no affiliation) for making it easy and fast.

I think that it was a simple not enough glue, or something, but I was also afraid of the battery being something like having a little mis-constructed bod or something, and the entire DAP being in danger of spontaneous fire or something. I am glad that it was not the case, and that the back seems to just have been a little unglued, or something. 

Nov 5, 2015 at 2:26 AM Post #4,061 of 7,088
Hi guys, not sure if this had been asked before.

I'm getting an interconnect made to connect the X5 2nd Gen to the Chord Mojo.

But what is the 4 pole 3.5mm jack configuration should be like? Thanks.

Eg:

Nov 5, 2015 at 2:55 AM Post #4,062 of 7,088
I answered you in the Mojo thread.

:wink_face:

Hi guys, not sure if this had been asked before.

I'm getting an interconnect made to connect the X5 2nd Gen to the Chord Mojo.

But what is the 4 pole 3.5mm jack configuration should be like? Thanks.

For coaxial see below:

Source:
http://fiio.me/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=40478

Nov 5, 2015 at 12:35 PM Post #4,064 of 7,088
I received my X5ii yesterday - in perfect condition - very easy to set up (thanks again relic!) - love the SD card method of applying music versus the iTunes/JRiver way I was doing the iPods - listened at great length with my Fostex TH900's - Incredible Sound! 

I had a fun experience this morning......Listening for a few minutes before leaving the hotel.....just using the iPhone earbuds - I was astounded at the staging I was getting. I think it was witnessing exactly what was mentioned earlier in this thread - the X5ii appears to provide a much more 3D soundstage versus the iPod classics that I have been using for the last several years. I was amazed at decent the earbuds could sound.......but.......my 64 Audio A6's have shipped today.....will get them either on tomorrow or Friday - a whole new experience!

Nov 5, 2015 at 5:49 PM Post #4,065 of 7,088
I can't believe that I've had my X5 II this long now and have yet to use one of Relic's custom/modded themes (they look incredible). Though I did grab FiiO's latest FW update and LOVE how well the scroll wheel now works...they knocked that one out of the park, it's perfect. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back