FiiO X5 2nd gen Impressions and Discussion thread
Nov 1, 2015 at 11:19 PM Post #4,022 of 7,088
Hi guys, I have a little bad news - I just tested the X5's DAC and it sort of... sucked in comparison.

Doing a thorough A/B from the X5 v2 in DAC-only mode compared to my desktop DAC (Gustard X12), I have concluded that it seems the desktop DAC's performance sounds roughly 3x better IMO. I was able to notice VAST improvements with the desktop DAC in terms of - soundstage: on the X12 it seemed to extrude very wide and deep, almost like you're there, but on the X5 the same section of the same song sounded so small as if the sounds were coming from inches away. Instrument separation: there were roughly 20% of the micro-details and layers of sounds that I totally couldn't notice on the X5 that were noticeable, but in a cohesive and enjoyable way on the X12. Organic-ness: the instruments and vocals on the X12 sounded very lifelike and realistic, while on the X5 it sounded acceptable, but not lifelike. Dynamics / impact: This one actually a tie, and something the X5 does very well on. Overall, IMO the X5 has a somewhat lean, cold and robotic sort of sound, yet punchy and good enough for most portable use (commute).

Granted I was comparing a DAC function of a $300 DAP to a $600 desktop DAC of about 25x the size, but I just thought I would compare just for kicks. And as mentioned, its' DAC doesn't really suck, but it sure did when compared to a better one. I'm not totally trashing the X5, but just saying that basically the X5's DAC is good enough for on-the-go, but if you are using it as your desktop DAC, then BELIEVE ME there is a lot of the recording that you're missing.

I was using a Project Ember amp with a custom TOTL tube setup, well mastered FLAC source songs, HD 650 and high grade interconnects on both units.

Nov 2, 2015 at 2:35 AM Post #4,024 of 7,088
Hi again. I now have my x5ii and have copied all my music straight from iTunes folders.

Using the shuffle function only shuffles across individual albums not across entire contents. Do I now have to move all the albums on each microsd into a single playlist and is there a quick way to do that?

Or is there some simple setting I can change?

Nov 2, 2015 at 2:39 AM Post #4,025 of 7,088
Hi again. I now have my x5ii and have copied all my music straight from iTunes folders.

Using the shuffle function only shuffles across individual albums not across entire contents. Do I now have to move all the albums on each microsd into a single playlist and is there a quick way to do that?

Or is there some simple setting I can change?

Scan the media library first (only need to do this when you add music to the card) and shuffle from the Play All category.

Nov 2, 2015 at 3:24 AM Post #4,026 of 7,088
Sorry to be dim - not very tech clever I am afraid. I have already put music onto the cards. Do I need to start again or can I do what's needed with the music already on the cards. In either case what exactly do I need to do?

Also some but not all artwork has come over. Why might that be.

Really appreciate help and quite understand if it is too frustrating for words to have to go back to basics for a novice like me!

Nov 2, 2015 at 3:36 AM Post #4,027 of 7,088
Sorry to be dim - not very tech clever I am afraid. I have already put music onto the cards. Do I need to start again or can I do what's needed with the music already on the cards. In either case what exactly do I need to do?

Also some but not all artwork has come over. Why might that be.

Really appreciate help and quite understand if it is too frustrating for words to have to go back to basics for a novice like me!

You've loaded the music on the card but you need to scan the card for the player to categorize the music. Go to System Settings - select Update media lib - wait until it finishes - now you can use the Category Playback.

In the Category Playback choose All Songs. From there the X5ii will shuffle all songs on both cards.

If you want to shuffle the songs from just an artist you can go to the Artist category and select the all songs list. See pic below. My screen will look different than yours because I customized the theme, but the functionality is exactly the same.

Just play with it and find out what does what. The player will shuffle whatever folder (for folder browsing) or category you are in.

Regarding the album art..... iTunes doesn't always embed the artwork in the file, sometimes referencing a saved image on your hard drive, so it won't automatically transfer to the X5ii.

Nov 2, 2015 at 3:37 AM Post #4,028 of 7,088
For one thing, there is always a possibility that more than one song from the same folder would play after another even if it is shuffling all folders.

What we were saying is to rescan your playlist. Go to the home screen, select the icon farthest on the right (settings), then select to do a manual update the playlist. 

Also this device will automatically update the playlist every time you plug in a data cable, and every time you add songs.

Artwork may not always show up due to possible codec issues, or if the track didn't have any (most of mine never did).

Nov 2, 2015 at 3:41 AM Post #4,029 of 7,088
That's brilliant thanks. Is there a way to get the missing artwork into the right place so it shows on the x5?

Your photo reminds me why shuffle works so well for me. Very cynical when Endless river was released last year! listened to it and dismissed it. The other day on shuffle, a beautiful track came on with hints of Shine On. Loved it and sent me back to endless river with a more positive mindset.

Nov 2, 2015 at 8:23 PM Post #4,031 of 7,088
Is it worth getting the X5ii over the iPod Touch 6g in terms of sound quality? Is there really a big difference?

If you have half decent headphones or earphones yes. Without question IMO. Of course only you can determine if it's worth it to you.

Nov 2, 2015 at 8:51 PM Post #4,032 of 7,088
I use a VSonic GR07 Classic and a Sennheiser Momentum Over-Ear. It's just that based on my reading, Fiio X5ii sound quality is not vastly superior to iPod Touch. Especially considering the UI, the Touch just seems like a better buy.

I just wanted to gather some opinions between the differences in sound quality, so I wont' regret it when I do make a decision to buy.

Nov 2, 2015 at 9:00 PM Post #4,033 of 7,088
  Is it worth getting the X5ii over the iPod Touch 6g in terms of sound quality? Is there really a big difference?

No, there is not a BIG difference.  That said, there is a noticeable difference.  The X5ii is more resolving and has a slightly broader soundstage.  The differences are more nuanced than they are "night and day."

I've owned a few around 15 Apple iDevices (various iPods, iPhones and iPads) and nothing sounds as good as the X5ii.  The only portable device I've owned that sounds better than the X5ii is my Entrance M8, but it's a total pain to use on-the-go.  

What sold me on the X5ii was the following:
  1. It's bulletproof.  Arguably built better than any iPod classic.
  2. The UI is descent, but not as sharp as Apple (yet, but FiiO is getting there).
  3. The storage is expandable.  Although I am a raving Apple fanboy, I detest the logic of Apple to not allow for storage expansion.
  4. I'm weird and I don't want my DAP to also play Angry Birds, to have a camera, a flash, check email, surf the web, be bluetooth and wifi enabled.  I have an iPhone for that.  I just want it to store a ton of my music, not crash, be easy to navigate and sound great.
  5. Well, it sounds great!
  6. It has an easy line-out to pair with a portable amp for more demanding headphones.

The Apple devices lost me when they went to the Lightning port.  The audio from the Lightning port is no longer analog so you have to use the headphone-out to amp, which is actually double amping.

Don't expect the X5ii to be the Second Coming of Christ, but it's very-very good.  I think it's FiiO's most thought out, sharpest device to date.

Nov 2, 2015 at 9:16 PM Post #4,034 of 7,088
Thank you for expanding on that. It was very helpful. Is the UI on X5 laggy (don't have any stores that sell the X5, so I can't check for myself)?

Could you further expand on the audio from the lightning port thing? Won't the certified MFi cable work the same as using a camera connection kit?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back