FiiO X5 2nd gen Impressions and Discussion thread
Nov 5, 2015 at 11:35 PM Post #4,066 of 7,088
I can't believe that I've had my X5 II this long now and have yet to use one of Relic's custom/modded themes (they look incredible). Though I did grab FiiO's latest FW update and LOVE how well the scroll wheel now works...they knocked that one out of the park, it's perfect. 

I'm pretty old school, still with original firmware and have one 128 GB & one 64GB card (which encapsulates my entire digital library, except Jazz which is on another 64 GB card). No fanzy schmantzi Meta Data whatschmacallit and all that other whatever Schiit. Play my music on random on Alll Songs. No glitches, or unusual issues et cetra (fingers crossed). Just enjoying my music. Nice player , this X5ii.

And oh yeah, sounds way better than my iPod 160 GB Classic!

Nov 6, 2015 at 3:28 AM Post #4,067 of 7,088
Hi

Don't know if this issue has been mentioned but certain artists that are recognised in "Browse Files" aren't recognised in the artist section of "Play By Catagory". Tina Turners greatest hits is one and I have had a few others as well.

Any way around this?

Regards

Darren

Nov 6, 2015 at 11:03 AM Post #4,068 of 7,088
  Hi

Don't know if this issue has been mentioned but certain artists that are recognised in "Browse Files" aren't recognised in the artist section of "Play By Catagory". Tina Turners greatest hits is one and I have had a few others as well.

Any way around this?

Regards

Darren

It is about how the artist tag was written. 

If the artist appears in filename, it does not necessarly mean that the artist tag is filled with data, and that Tina Turner in your situation is the data that is in the tag metadata. 

You need to use mp3tag and manually re-tag the files, and be sure to save them as you want them to appear. 

It can take a while.

If you do this and it does not work, please post the file, (dropbox?) and I will try to help you figure out why it does not work, if it still does not work as it should.

I'm pretty old school, still with original firmware and have one 128 GB & one 64GB card (which encapsulates my entire digital library, except Jazz which is on another 64 GB card). No fanzy schmantzi Meta Data whatschmacallit and all that other whatever Schiit. Play my music on random on Alll Songs. No glitches, or unusual issues et cetra (fingers crossed). Just enjoying my music. Nice player , this X5ii.

And oh yeah, sounds way better than my iPod 160 GB Classic!

Much better life for you this way, man!

I have only covers, and files, but I do like to tweak dat user interface 
very_evil_smiley.gif

I really need a 128gb microsd card as of now, as my 2X64 are becoming far from enough for my forever increasing collection. 

Nov 6, 2015 at 11:49 AM Post #4,069 of 7,088
Hi

Thanks for the reply. I still can't understand that everything is OK in "Browse Files" but aren't recognised in the artist section of "Play By Catagory" I'm also having a problem with Coldplay's greatest hits where 3 songs are missing and are listed from the album Parachutes.

Starting to get a bit pissed off with Fiio. I had a X3ii that I had to upgrade because the screen was unreadable on the beach. It's a portable device for christs sakes. Should be able to use it outdoors!

Regards

Darren

Nov 6, 2015 at 12:16 PM Post #4,070 of 7,088
  Hi

Thanks for the reply. I still can't understand that everything is OK in "Browse Files" but aren't recognised in the artist section of "Play By Catagory" I'm also having a problem with Coldplay's greatest hits where 3 songs are missing and are listed from the album Parachutes.

Starting to get a bit pissed off with Fiio. I had a X3ii that I had to upgrade because the screen was unreadable on the beach. It's a portable device for christs sakes. Should be able to use it outdoors!

Regards

Darren

I can understand your frustration, but I must say, the tagging problem is only met when there is a problem with the tags, as I tag personally every single file, so I never met the problem. 

I love the screen of X5II, so bright and beautiful. If only Fiio would also make over the ear headphones 
biggrin.gif

Nov 6, 2015 at 12:22 PM Post #4,071 of 7,088
Hi

I had a pair of Dunu Titans that the Fiio IEMs are based on. Found them too bright. I know have some B&W C5s, but much prefer my Shure 1540s. I have an E12A, so driving them is no problem.

Regards

Darren

Nov 6, 2015 at 12:29 PM Post #4,072 of 7,088
  Hi

I had a pair of Dunu Titans that the Fiio IEMs are based on. Found them too bright. I know have some B&W C5s, but much prefer my Shure 1540s. I have an E12A, so driving them is no problem.

Regards

Darren

I really want a bright over the ear closed back headphone... Sadly all of them are either dark or lacking in sound. I found that Ultrasone in general does not have enough treble, not even one of them... 

EL8 from audeze seems a great headphone, but it weights 500grams 
eek.gif
, and it costs about 1000$. 

At the moment I am seriously contemplating all headphones in the world to fiind something that has Ie800 sound in a closed back headphone. 

Nov 6, 2015 at 12:33 PM Post #4,073 of 7,088
I really want a bright over the ear closed back headphone... Sadly all of them are either dark or lacking in sound. I found that Ultrasone in general does not have enough treble, not even one of them... 

EL8 from audeze seems a great headphone, but it weights 500grams :eek: , and it costs about 1000$. 

At the moment I am seriously contemplating all headphones in the world to fiind something that has Ie800 sound in a closed back headphone. 

Well, if you lose the closed headphone option, there's a pretty great range of bright Grado headphones to choose from. They sit well with FiiO's warmer sound.

Nov 6, 2015 at 12:36 PM Post #4,074 of 7,088
Well, if you lose the closed option for your headphone, there's a pretty great range of bright Grado headphones to choose from. They sit well with FiiO's warmer sound.

I do not remember if you listened to Ie800, but they have a great deal of sub bass. grado in general has rolled off bass, not exactly natural nor linear nor neutral nor complete sound. 

i just want a headphone that is closed back and is not rolled off at any end, and does not sound bad in treble (akg k550, senn urbanite, senn hd380pro, ultrasone, beyer, nighthawk, ath m50, etc).

EL8C sounded exactly like this, but they are very heavy to wear for a prolonged period of time. 

Nov 7, 2015 at 3:58 AM Post #4,075 of 7,088
  I am not very familiar with headphone amps. Would the X5ii benefit from the use of a headphone amp? I do not need more volume at the moment. Is the the use of amplification only dependent on which headphones are being used? Big cans needing more power I guess?

Nov 7, 2015 at 11:15 AM Post #4,076 of 7,088
Hi everyone,

I'm looking to surprise myself for Christmas with a Fiio X5 2nd gen, before I commit to buying can you please help me with some questions. I've done some research already but still not sure about a few things.

1. is the 5800 file limit still present on this? If so, does it come into effect only when using the database to browse the music or also when using the device in file view mode? Also, is that limit per card or two cards together? I'm confused.

2. some hinted at the possibility of a firmware upgrade in the near future that would provide support for the device for two 256 GB or even bigger cards. Do we know anything about the state of this new firmware, is it seriously considered/actively worked on by Fiio engineers or is it just a user rumour/wish?

3. when using the device in file view mode, it is possible to still display some desired ID3 tags for the song being played? I'd be using file view mode all the time but I'd still want it to display the 'Artist' field from the ID3 tag.

Thanks very much in advance.

Nov 7, 2015 at 11:21 AM Post #4,077 of 7,088
Some nice features but also some puzzling PCM limitations. Had X5 buyer's hesitation for just a second there ....https://www.massdrop.com/buy/lotoo-paw-5000 DAP offerings hotter than ever which is only good news for us :smile:

Nov 7, 2015 at 1:53 PM Post #4,078 of 7,088
  Some nice features but also some puzzling PCM limitations. Had X5 buyer's hesitation for just a second there ....https://www.massdrop.com/buy/lotoo-paw-5000 DAP offerings hotter than ever which is only good news for us :smile:

I really hope that every device's prices will come down as well as headphones!

That being said, I really doubt that I would have buyer's remorse with X5II considering that most of the competition has flaws of their own. 

For example, I do belive that lotto paw5000 could sound amazing, but the build is not as sexy as X5II, and the interface seems a few levels under our beloved X5II. 

Nov 7, 2015 at 5:28 PM Post #4,079 of 7,088
Nope... I'd be charitable and say it's a built-in function for protecting your ears from your pants pocket accidentally holding the volume up button for you
redface.gif

Are there any plans to add an option to turn off the auto lock feature all together? 
Going from the X3 Gen 1 (with its 'hard' lock switch), it is very intuitive that pressing any of the keys after screen timeout, turns the screen back on.
Now if I want to see the screen, I need to first press the power button to unlock, then I can see the screen and get full control functionality.
I know that I could turn the screen timeout off, but I imagine that will drain power very quickly.

Nov 7, 2015 at 8:58 PM Post #4,080 of 7,088
For example, I do belive that lotto paw5000 could sound amazing, but the build is not as sexy as X5II, and the interface seems a few levels under our beloved X5II. 

Completely agree.  It was the USB 3.0 & balanced output (at this price point) that had me thinking ohhh, those would have been nice on 5.2 ....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back