FiiO X5 2nd gen Impressions and Discussion thread
Oct 22, 2015 at 10:34 PM Post #3,946 of 7,088
Was just reading about a lot of problems with Windows 10 driver issues in the DAC-19 thread.......... Same thing, was working, then kaput........

Not sure that this is a Win 10 issue or FIIO needing to get off their A**. 

Latest version of Driver 3.23

new.png

Windows 10 support is now available!

So why is version available 1.61.0 !!!!!!!!!!!!!    [And no, you cannot download proper driver from TheSycon directly]

Oct 23, 2015 at 2:45 AM Post #3,947 of 7,088

Not sure that this is a Win 10 issue or FIIO needing to get off their A**. 

Latest version of Driver 3.23

new.png

Windows 10 support is now available!

So why is version available 1.61.0 !!!!!!!!!!!!!    [And no, you cannot download proper driver from TheSycon directly]

maybe there is no difference in SQ? 

Either way, I would rather have the latest, sometimes I get microstutter when playing videos. 

Oct 23, 2015 at 7:26 AM Post #3,949 of 7,088
  I wanted to ask this most X5II owners. 

Should I get a sandisk 128gb microsd card, or should I get a Samsung one? Or a Kingston one?

They seem about the same thing, my only concern is reliability after a few years of usage. 

Theoretically they should be same. Though I have heard about reliability issues with non-Sandisk cards I have no idea about how credible are these reports. What I can say is that I've never experienced a single problem with my Sandisk microSDs (having 5 of them). So, if you go for Sandisk it's pretty safe.

Oct 23, 2015 at 9:17 AM Post #3,950 of 7,088

Should I get a sandisk 128gb microsd card, or should I get a Samsung one? Or a Kingston one?

They seem about the same thing, my only concern is reliability after a few years of usage. 

I use two SanDisk cards in my X5 and two Samsung cards in my X5 II. Both work as they should, without any issues. I can't say anything about long-term reliability, but the user rating for the Samsung EVO on the webhops is good.

Oct 23, 2015 at 10:12 AM Post #3,951 of 7,088

I use two SanDisk cards in my X5 and two Samsung cards in my X5 II. Both work as they should, without any issues. I can't say anything about long-term reliability, but the user rating for the Samsung EVO on the webhops is good.

Theoretically they should be same. Though I have heard about reliability issues with non-Sandisk cards I have no idea about how credible are these reports. What I can say is that I've never experienced a single problem with my Sandisk microSDs (having 5 of them). So, if you go for Sandisk it's pretty safe.

Thanks!

The thing is that Sandisk is cheaper at the moment, with the kingston being the cheapest microsd for 128gb capacity and samsung being the most expensive. 

I would avoid kingston because there are a lot of variations, and I do not want to risk getting a fale one, while sandisk and samsung have the same serial number on all sites, so it is the same product. 

Now... I want to get sandisk because is cheaper, but I never in my life had sandisk, only kingstong and samsung. It is chaeper with 3-5$, than samsung but still, these money could fiind better use!
gs1000.gif

Oct 23, 2015 at 2:57 PM Post #3,953 of 7,088

After "a few years" the prices will have dropped so much on higher capacity cards that anything you buy now will probably seem quaint in terms of capacity.

Oct 24, 2015 at 11:07 PM Post #3,955 of 7,088
Having problems with my X5ii occasionally freezing on song.  Usually while playing from a playlist and always at the last second of the song.  Sometimes I am able to get it to go again by just hitting the Next button but occasionally I have to "reboot".  The same music file will play without problem and advance normally when played outside of the playlist.  I don't recall having this problem with my X5.

I construct my playlists from Foobar2000.  And checked the integrity of the playlist with Listfix.   All music is on one 64GB SanDisk that was removed from my X5 and put in the X5ii.

Any thought as to where I should look for the problem?

Oct 25, 2015 at 2:43 AM Post #3,956 of 7,088
  Having problems with my X5ii occasionally freezing on song.  Usually while playing from a playlist and always at the last second of the song.  Sometimes I am able to get it to go again by just hitting the Next button but occasionally I have to "reboot".  The same music file will play without problem and advance normally when played outside of the playlist.  I don't recall having this problem with my X5.

I construct my playlists from Foobar2000.  And checked the integrity of the playlist with Listfix.   All music is on one 64GB SanDisk that was removed from my X5 and put in the X5ii.

Any thought as to where I should look for the problem?

Instead of where, try to think when. For example, does it happen you had listened to a certain number of tracks? If a playlist is large enough, it might overload the RAM.

Oct 25, 2015 at 3:37 PM Post #3,957 of 7,088
I'll look into that to see if I can find a pattern but so far seems random.  The playlist has 327 classical pieces and can freeze even after playing only 8-10. Some tunes are towards the beginning of the playlist and some in the middle.   I even tried to construct the playlist using a different program and I still get occasional freezes.

Oct 27, 2015 at 11:54 AM Post #3,959 of 7,088
I did receive my X5ii yesterday. I will not be doing a proper time study on the lag comparison between the X5ii and X3ii, as I am returning the X5ii because of the faulty center button. Anyways, I did spend some time with it and used the SD card from my X3ii (so please take it with a grain of salt). The SD card had around 10GB of music. And only a couple of albums or folders had album art. Here are my observations. (I am not sure where I stand when it comes to believing device burn-inBut those of you who do believe, this comparison was between a X3ii with 50 hrs runtime and out of the box X5ii.)

Edit: I should also add that, the unit I received came with a black silicone case and not the clear case, so it was probably the 1st batch.

• Overall, the transitions and the cursor movements on the X5ii are slightly slower than on the X3ii. To be fair for just this part, I played around with both the devices without any SD card inserted on either of the devices. Even the Fiio welcome animation renders slightly slower on the X5ii when compared to the X3ii. If you did not have X3ii to compare it side by side, you probably wouldn't even know.
  • When playing tracks on X5ii from a folder with album art, the reaction to pressing Back button is slightly slower than with folders without album art. The same is true for the X3ii, and but the transition is slightly quicker on the X3ii.
  • Skipping tracks on X5ii in a folder with album art takes a second or two to show the change on the screen but the new song plays immediately. The same was observed on the X3ii, but this time, the new screen loaded noticeably faster than on the X5ii.
  • Turning the EQ On did not have any impact on the speed or performance.
  • I certainly wouldn’t call these lags but rather the device’s behavior as it hardly had any impact on my user experience.
  • X5ii does get slightly warmer than the X3ii, but definitely within comfortable level.
  • The X5ii was just as pleasurable to use as X3ii. In fact, I liked the feel of pressing the flush buttons on the X5ii than the over-the-surface buttons on X3ii.
  • Sound comparison: I couldn’t perform a blind test, but I am sure I would have been able to identify the devices based on the tracks. On few tracks, I couldn’t tell the difference between the two, while on certain tracks the difference was quite apparent and on certain tracks paying very close attention would reveal the difference.
  • So based on listening to the tracks that revealed the difference between the two: Soundstage was slightly wider and deeper on the X5ii. The instruments sounded more natural and had better separation and layering on X5ii. The background on the X5ii was cleaner than the already clean background of X3ii. The X5ii had a nice sub-bass extension and rumble, something I did not find on the X3ii. Detail wise, both were on the same level, but X5ii had a sightly better clarity and resolution. The bass and treble extensions were better on the X5ii. The mids felt somewhat distant on the X5ii, but increasing the volume 2 or 3 steps solved this and sounded clear on the X5ii. These differences were not day/night but definitely perceivable. 
  • I used a Sennheiser IE80 which is a warm IEM. I don't own a neutral headphone/IEM. I wonder, if using a neutral headphone would set these two apart even further.

I definitely think X5ii will be a better option than the X3ii as long as you are not on a tight budget. If you have well recorded tracks or tracks with analog instruments, X5ii will clearly outperform the X3ii.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back