FiiO X5 2nd gen Impressions and Discussion thread
Oct 20, 2015 at 6:23 PM Post #3,886 of 7,088

Please, please I am NOT trying to start an MP3/192 vs. FLAC argument I'm just curious what makes the X5 attractive if you're not already on the FLAC train?  That's kind of how I landed with X5 - I already rip everything to FLAC, pained me to compress just on principle, tired of converting to ALAC on Ipod, I can take 256gb on the go which is quite adequate, the form factor of Pono is just too cute for it's own good and Astell and Kern is just too damned expensive ....

Sorry if I was misleading, but what I meant is that I used the program called "mp3tag" to re-tag all of my music files, including file formats such as FLAC. The program is not limited to MP3 files.

As for the filesize controversy, I am really not one of those heated debaters. I personally cannot hear a noticeable difference when comparing 256+ AAC/320kbps MP3 and FLAC, although I do actually have quite a few FLAC albums in my library. I am not saying that there is no difference; it's just that for my personal purposes, I choose to occasionally use compressed files for more space. I only use a 64 GB card at the moment.

To me though, the X5ii is attractive because it solves all of the problems that I had with my iBasso DX50 with class and style. That unit made very loud popping sounds and had a more ugly, impractical design. With the X5ii, I really enjoy the aesthetic of the player and the general usability of the buttons/wheel. It's reminiscent of a previous time without retaining the 'outdated' feel. I also don't have much disk space left on my smart phone, an iPhone 5S, so I tend not to use that for portable music these days.

The sound also is one of the main selling points for me of course; I spent $400+ on my IEM setup, so I want to get the most out of their source too! 
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 21, 2015 at 1:25 AM Post #3,888 of 7,088

What's the issue having with it?
Not pleased with how it bends once you put the bands in place? I was a bit disappointed with that as it didn't happen with the stacking kit for the older X5...but it still works though it doesn't look so hot while doing so. 

Only visual. Gums are very strong and they should be longer. May be someone knows better gums?

Oct 21, 2015 at 5:32 PM Post #3,889 of 7,088
Today received HS-16. I am very dissatisfied with the quality.

What's the issue having with it?
Not pleased with how it bends once you put the bands in place? I was a bit disappointed with that as it didn't happen with the stacking kit for the older X5...but it still works though it doesn't look so hot while doing so. 

I had the stacking kit when I had the X3ii and fully intended to get another stacking kit when I upgraded to the X5ii but they were out of stock. So I just wrapped my X5ii into the black silicone case and snapped on 1 FiiO rubber band and haven't even bothered looking for the stacking kit anymore. I actually like the look of the black silicone case and the protection it provides. Better still I think the rubber band and silicone case gives a better and steadier grip to my E12a than the X3ii stacking kit did and the single strap doesn't interfere with any of the X5ii & E12a controls.

Oct 21, 2015 at 5:37 PM Post #3,890 of 7,088
I have been pointed to this thread as a newbie to the site looking for advice.  I am looking at getting a Fiio x5 to replace my Ipod Classic which at 160GB can't even handle 1/2 of my music (my ITunes folder currently runs to 330GB and I am one of those slightly anal people who wants to be able to carry all my music with me).  I have a few questions if anyone is able to assist:
- is it compatible with remote control earphones?
- does it support 2 x 200GB microsd cards (which would take all my music and leave me with spare capacity)
- is there a song limit (I have seen this referred to in some comments) or has that been removed?
- is it easy to get songs and artwork loaded up from ITunes folder?

All help and advice gratefully received even if it goes beyond the questions above.  

Oct 21, 2015 at 7:46 PM Post #3,891 of 7,088
I have been pointed to this thread as a newbie to the site looking for advice.  I am looking at getting a Fiio x5 to replace my Ipod Classic which at 160GB can't even handle 1/2 of my music (my ITunes folder currently runs to 330GB and I am one of those slightly anal people who wants to be able to carry all my music with me).  I have a few questions if anyone is able to assist:
- is it compatible with remote control earphones?
- does it support 2 x 200GB microsd cards (which would take all my music and leave me with spare capacity)
- is there a song limit (I have seen this referred to in some comments) or has that been removed?
- is it easy to get songs and artwork loaded up from ITunes folder?

All help and advice gratefully received even if it goes beyond the questions above.  

- Yes, it's compatible with Apple certified in line remote headphone cables.
- Yes, it will support 2x200gb mSD cards
- No song limit, but depending on your metadata and artwork size the device may slow down with giant libraries. Folder browsing has never had a limit btw.
- Yes, you can actually just highlight all the songs you want from iTunes and drag them to the folder you have created on your card. Easy.
You can also use an app called Dapper if using OSX. I suggest you create folders of the alphabet (A, B, C, D, etc......) and place the artist folder in the appropriate alphabet folder then below the artist folder place the album folder. This way scrolling through the browser is much quicker.

I suggest you format the card through the X5ii itself. Go to System Settings, scroll to Format, select your card. Obviously you do this before you load your music.

Oct 21, 2015 at 8:12 PM Post #3,893 of 7,088
Oct 21, 2015 at 11:04 PM Post #3,895 of 7,088
Hi ive been playing Pearl Jam-lightning bolt 44.1 24 bit ,Pearl Jam- Ten Redux 88.2 24 bit and Muse-2nd Law 96 24 bit.
I know the eq makes no difference with the 2nd law or Ten Redux but it does on Lightning bolt. I thought anything above 44.1 16 wouldn't change?
Is this right?
Thanks

Oct 21, 2015 at 11:33 PM Post #3,896 of 7,088
Hi ive been playing Pearl Jam-lightning bolt 44.1 24 bit ,Pearl Jam- Ten Redux 88.2 24 bit and Muse-2nd Law 96 24 bit.
I know the eq makes no difference with the 2nd law or Ten Redux but it does on Lightning bolt. I thought anything above 44.1 16 wouldn't change?
Is this right?
Thanks

The EQ is effective for 24 bit/48 kHz and lower, so looking the other way 88.2 and higher will not use the EQ.

Oct 22, 2015 at 1:48 AM Post #3,897 of 7,088
I had the stacking kit when I had the X3ii and fully intended to get another stacking kit when I upgraded to the X5ii but they were out of stock. So I just wrapped my X5ii into the black silicone case and snapped on 1 FiiO rubber band and haven't even bothered looking for the stacking kit anymore. I actually like the look of the black silicone case and the protection it provides. Better still I think the rubber band and silicone case gives a better and steadier grip to my E12a than the X3ii stacking kit did and the single strap doesn't interfere with any of the X5ii & E12a controls.

Can you please make a photo?

Oct 22, 2015 at 4:36 AM Post #3,898 of 7,088
that's really helpful thanks.  a couple of other questions if anyone knows:

when using 2 microsd cards does the random shuffle option work across both cards simultaneously ie will it play songs randomly off either card or off just one
and in terms of speed how much is performance affected by having 330GB worth of songs stored on the cards

Many thanks again

Oct 22, 2015 at 5:40 AM Post #3,899 of 7,088

when using 2 microsd cards does the random shuffle option work across both cards simultaneously ie will it play songs randomly off either card or off just one
and in terms of speed how much is performance affected by having 330GB worth of songs stored on the cards

Many thanks again

I think the speed issue has more to do with the number of songs and their tags and artwork. How many total songs do you have?

Oct 22, 2015 at 5:48 AM Post #3,900 of 7,088

Many thanks again

The browser mode only shuffles within the folder. If you want to shuffle all the songs then use the All Songs Category. If you want to shuffle all songs from an artist use the Artist category, or All Songs by Artist sub-category. Using the Category mode spans both cards so you can shuffle across cards this way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back