FiiO X5 2nd gen Impressions and Discussion thread
Oct 22, 2015 at 7:04 AM Post #3,902 of 7,088
Oct 22, 2015 at 8:26 AM Post #3,903 of 7,088
Good morning all! I'm having a weird issue with my unit... Just happened a few times in the past few minutes that the music started skipping, so I assume it was a couple of buggy tracks. Switched to a different artist, and now it seems to be reversing rapidly on the track line-counter back to 0:00 and kept doing that until I restarted the X5II. Now it seems to be okay but has anyone ever seen that?? What can be the issue?

Oct 22, 2015 at 11:56 AM Post #3,904 of 7,088
Thanks. I guess I would expect some slowdown but it is a question of degree. I am trying to establish whether it would be positively sluggish compared to a full IPod Classic 160gb or comparable. Any thoughts?

Oct 22, 2015 at 12:02 PM Post #3,905 of 7,088
Thanks. I guess I would expect some slowdown but it is a question of degree. I am trying to establish whether it would be positively sluggish compared to a full IPod Classic 160gb or comparable. Any thoughts?

I haven't received my X5II yet but I never had any kind of problems like that with my X3II but I found my old iPod classic to be quite laggy. It certainly wasn't what you would call snappy.

Oct 22, 2015 at 12:06 PM Post #3,906 of 7,088

Those that have issues have claimed basically deal breaking, unacceptable performance.  But the issue could be partly due to tag and artwork issues.  

I think if you start working backwards through this thread you will find the references to the issue.  

Would you be using the library function of the X5ii?

Oct 22, 2015 at 12:23 PM Post #3,907 of 7,088
I hope nobody takes this the wrong way, each are entitled to their own preferences.

I just can't imagine having 15,000-35,000 songs with me at all times.  With an average run time of 3 minutes per song (probably well on the low side) it would take well over a year to listen to 35,000 songs songs if you listened  for four hours a day, every day, and never repeated a song.

Again, not trying to argue against someone wanting that many songs, or that a modern DAP shouldn't be able to handle them.  It just blows my mind.  I sometimes "rediscover" a song or two I forgot I had, and I probably only have a couple thousand songs.  Granted, there are many more that I want, and also some I have that I never listen to.  I just can't imaging having 35,000 songs, and having them all on my player at once.  

Oct 22, 2015 at 12:50 PM Post #3,908 of 7,088
  I hope nobody takes this the wrong way, each are entitled to their own preferences.

I just can't imagine having 15,000-35,000 songs with me at all times.  With an average run time of 3 minutes per song (probably well on the low side) it would take well over a year to listen to 35,000 songs songs if you listened  for four hours a day, every day, and never repeated a song.

Again, not trying to argue against someone wanting that many songs, or that a modern DAP shouldn't be able to handle them.  It just blows my mind.  I sometimes "rediscover" a song or two I forgot I had, and I probably only have a couple thousand songs.  Granted, there are many more that I want, and also some I have that I never listen to.  I just can't imaging having 35,000 songs, and having them all on my player at once.  

I get what your saying. I have around 3000 songs on my player and I don't intend to let my collection get a lot bigger than that but at my age a lot of the artists that I listen to don't produce as much music as they did in the past and I'm not really in to newer music. I don't mean to knock anyone either but with more than 3000 songs I don't feel I could listen to all the music I have and give the albums the proper listening to that they deserve.

Oct 22, 2015 at 12:57 PM Post #3,909 of 7,088

I get what your saying. I have around 3000 songs on my player and I don't intend to let my collection get a lot bigger than that but at my age a lot of the artists that I listen to don't produce as much music as they did in the past and I'm not really in to newer music. I don't mean to knock anyone either but with more than 3000 songs I don't feel I could listen to all the music I have and give the albums the proper listening to that they deserve.

I am into new, old, any type of music as long as it is good. 

This being said, my collection is around 5 weeks of continous music play at the moment, and it is slowly growing, but I also must clean it of music i do not listen every 3-6 months. 12.300 Items at the moment, of which I know about 80%, and probably will slowly grow as I discover new genera.

I think that XII supports enough for portable listening. Really, from this collection, there are certain albums that I go to when I listen music, and certain albums that I do not even touch, but keep in the case I might want to listen to them someday. 

Oct 22, 2015 at 12:58 PM Post #3,910 of 7,088
Good morning all! I'm having a weird issue with my unit... Just happened a few times in the past few minutes that the music started skipping, so I assume it was a couple of buggy tracks. Switched to a different artist, and now it seems to be reversing rapidly on the track line-counter back to 0:00 and kept doing that until I restarted the X5II. Now it seems to be okay but has anyone ever seen that?? What can be the issue?

Got something of sorts, which was solved after restart. 

On mine probably it was because it got disconected while paying dac. 

Oct 22, 2015 at 1:05 PM Post #3,911 of 7,088
  I am into new, old, any type of music as long as it is good. 

This being said, my collection is around 5 weeks of continous music play at the moment, and it is slowly growing, but I also must clean it of music i do not listen every 3-6 months. 12.300 Items at the moment, of which I know about 80%, and probably will slowly grow as I discover new genera.

I think that XII supports enough for portable listening. Really, from this collection, there are certain albums that I go to when I listen music, and certain albums that I do not even touch, but keep in the case I might want to listen to them someday. 

I've got my favorites too that I listen to more than other albums and some I don't want to remove because I occasionally listen to them. Right now I don't need to do much cleaning of my collection because I've pretty much weeded out all the unnecessary music. Now I want to finish upgrading my collection to flac from mp3 which is about half done. I don't think I'll go to the 24 bit hi res stuff...16 bit flac is good for me. 16 bit flac takes up enough room on my microsd cards as it is..

Oct 22, 2015 at 1:22 PM Post #3,912 of 7,088

I haven't received my X5II yet but I never had any kind of problems like that with my X3II but I found my old iPod classic to be quite laggy. It certainly wasn't what you would call snappy.

I don't know what the difference is, but I've read where a couple people said the X3ii was actually a bit faster in use than the X5ii.  Don't know how universal that opinion is, but I know I've read where someone said that.

Hopefully it's something that can be corrected (or at least mitigated) with a firmware update for those experiencing the slowdown.  It it's an unsolvable hardware issue that would be a bummer.

I only use folder browsing and the only noticeable slowdown I've had was that album artwork sometimes loads a second or two after the music starts playing when I select a new album.  Not a big deal to me.  Having the album artwork at all is cool, since much of my music doesn't have it anyway.  One time I had a delay when I tried to switch songs.  I thought I must have missed the button, and pressed it again, but then it suddenly skipped twice.  Only happened once though.

Oct 22, 2015 at 1:33 PM Post #3,913 of 7,088

I don't know what the difference is, but I've read where a couple people said the X3ii was actually a bit faster in use than the X5ii.  Don't know how universal that opinion is, but I know I've read where someone said that.

Hopefully it's something that can be corrected (or at least mitigated) with a firmware update for those experiencing the slowdown.  It it's an unsolvable hardware issue that would be a bummer.

I only use folder browsing and the only noticeable slowdown I've had was that album artwork sometimes loads a second or two after the music starts playing when I select a new album.  Not a big deal to me.  Having the album artwork at all is cool, since much of my music doesn't have it anyway.  One time I had a delay when I tried to switch songs.  I thought I must have missed the button, and pressed it again, but then it suddenly skipped twice.  Only happened once though.

Yeah, I like having the album artwork too and I don't think I'd delete the album covers just because there is a bit of a lag. It's not a big deal to me either. The sound is the most important thing and electronic devices such as DAPs have strange un-explainable glitches sometimes that happen once and never happen again. I had my player just turn off into deep sleep mode one time while I was listening but it never happened again and that was months ago.

Oct 22, 2015 at 1:48 PM Post #3,914 of 7,088

You're likely on track with one of the files being corrupted.  Haven't had this with X5 but on Ipod Classic it would glitch on certain songs and then nothing short of restart would fix it.  I just don't think the OS/Firmware on these little DAPs are sophisticated enough to gracefully recover from an error state like PC/Smartphone would be expected to do.

Oct 22, 2015 at 1:51 PM Post #3,915 of 7,088

X5 is WAY faster than Ipod Classic 160gb in general and have not had it choke on a single file (knock on wood).  Ipod would crap out all the time on high bitrate ALAC which was their own damn proprietary codec .....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back