FiiO X5 2nd gen Impressions and Discussion thread
Sep 5, 2015 at 1:03 AM Post #3,471 of 7,088
Not sure there's an issue with tagging - I can of course delve into other tools, but I've just used ye olde itunes to set both track number and disc number and believe that aspect of Apple fun that isn't non-compliant madness

Unfortunately the DISCNUMBER tag is yet to be implemented in our players. :frowning2:

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Sep 5, 2015 at 2:11 AM Post #3,474 of 7,088
Unfortunately the DISCNUMBER tag is yet to be implemented in our players.
frown.gif

Right, that's what I was seeing... Surely can't be too taxing in terms of coding, not sure it's such a priority but it certainly would make this user quite happy.

While we're at it, anyone on Windows using a good tool to fill up multiple SD cards from their libraries? I know there's the Dapper-like tool on this forum but unfortunately it doesn't work with mapped network drives (ie., where all my music is located)

Sep 5, 2015 at 2:29 AM Post #3,475 of 7,088
So as an ex owner of the X5, recent owner of the X5 2nd gen, and with constant access to the X3 2nd gen as my older brother in law has one, here are my observations:

* Both the 2nd generations of the X3 and X5 are premium built. There is less play in the wheel. The wheel still overshoots with the new generations but less so on the X3 2nd generation because of how responsive it's software is.

* The X5 2nd generation is a perfect size and weight compared to the bulkiness of the original.

* The screen of the X3 2nd generation is inferior to both the original and latest X5. Brightness and contrast are its downfalls.

* The original and latest X5s both suffer from almost equal lag. The X3 2nd generation on the other hand is fast and responsive. Perfect in day to day use in my opinion.

* I actually feel the sound of the X3 2nd generation is superior to both the original and new X5s. There is air and clarity to the sound. If the firmware of the X3 2nd generation ever supported cards greater than the current 128GB, I would probably get that player instead and do with the inferior screen. I need the X5 because of its ability to support the capacity i need.

* The volume on the X5 2nd generation needs to go higher via the headphone jack to match the volume of the original X5.

* I feel the sound of fw2.5 of the original X5 is more defined and forward compared to fw1.1 of the X5 2nd generation. I heard sound differences between firmware versions of the original X5 so I suspect the same may happen again here.

* I feel fw1.0 has a more present top end than fw1.1 on the new X5. I have not seen any stability issues on fw1.0 so I am sticking with it for now until newer firmware is release.

* The inability to fast scroll through letters in the Play By Category submenus is the biggest downfall of all Fiio players to date from a usability perspective in my opinion. Noone should have to turn a wheel for minutes on end to reach an Artist or Album, especially when you have as much music as I do. When I decided to upgrade, it was the one single aspect that almost resulted in me going for an alternate brand.

You're probably wondering why I upgraded. My older brother in law wanted the original X5 so I sold it to him for a reduced price. In turn, I got a more compact device which has 2 key features I wanted; support for headphone controls and instant power on. I used my original X5 around the office and having to turn it back on post interruptions from colleagues was a complete pain for me. Was it worth the $180 upgrade cost in my case? Probably not. New firmware that improves sound and responsiveness to match the X3 2nd generation, and a fix to the current Play By Category limitation and my opinion would be different.

My 2 cents worth.

Sep 5, 2015 at 5:46 AM Post #3,476 of 7,088

Not sure there's an issue with tagging - I can of course delve into other tools, but I've just used ye olde itunes to set both track number and disc number and believe that aspect of Apple fun that isn't non-compliant madness

I checked all of mine and I took all disk number albums and put them in one folder and renumbered disk 2,3,and so on.

Sep 5, 2015 at 9:10 PM Post #3,478 of 7,088
  Right, that's what I was seeing... Surely can't be too taxing in terms of coding, not sure it's such a priority but it certainly would make this user quite happy.

While we're at it, anyone on Windows using a good tool to fill up multiple SD cards from their libraries? I know there's the Dapper-like tool on this forum but unfortunately it doesn't work with mapped network drives (ie., where all my music is located)

i've been asking for this feature for ~2months now with no response. this is critical for any progressive rock albums and/or reissues with bonus content. disc # is a very important tag to implement @JamesFiiO @Joe Bloggs please consider implementing this asap in the next FW update. thank you for all your work so far!

Sep 6, 2015 at 10:11 AM Post #3,479 of 7,088
There is something I just noticed with the player responsiveness. Apologies if this is well known with Fiio players or has been covered somewhere in the prior 231 pages...

I did a reset of my player and immediately noticed the firmware speed and wheel responsiveness was back to what it was out of the box...fast. I continued to do a toggle of every single setting and played some music until I noticed 2 things that resulted in a slow down:

1) As long as the Equalizer setting is "OFF", firmware speed remains impressive. As soon as any other Equalizer setting is chosen however, the entire firmware slows down. Switch back to "OFF" and the software is snappy and responsive again.
2) Any currently playing track with artwork. Even if you press back and exit the Currently Playing screen, the rest of the navigation slows down. Once another track is selected without artwork, the player remains slow, however pressing the power button to lock the device followed by another press to turn the screen back on results in snappy speed again. I think the locking of the device must clear the cache from the prior artwork or something.

Not even playing high quality tracks seems to cause slowness even though I thought it would. I can live without artwork but I am disappointed I can't use the Equalizer. I'm sure the audio purists would be thinking "why would you" :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back