FiiO X5 2nd gen Impressions and Discussion thread
Aug 30, 2015 at 6:53 PM Post #3,407 of 7,088
How more clear can it be worded?

1. Extract and copy X5II.fw to the root directory of an µSD card on THE LEFT µSD SLOT (slot 1) of the X5 formatted in FAT32.

2. Power off the X5 and make sure that the X5 is adequately charged before attempting to update.

3. Hold the upper left button of the X keygroup while pressing the power button to begin the update process. (you may release the buttons when the update dialog shows)

But I'm glad it worked now, DecentLevi. :smile:  

I'm afraid that isn't clear enough. :D

Aug 30, 2015 at 7:45 PM Post #3,408 of 7,088
I'm afraid that isn't clear enough.
biggrin.gif

Yeah! 
regular_smile .gif

Aug 30, 2015 at 8:57 PM Post #3,410 of 7,088
Do you all you high gain or low gain :sweat_smile:

HI gain, all day, err'day. it seems to sound better to me. Then I started to notice other people corroborated the same findings as I did. It has to do with the X5II op-amps running in their desired voltage range. However, don't just take other people's opinions as fact, try it yourself, and see if you can tell the difference. If you can't, it doesn't mean you're "wrong" it just means that you don't hear the difference, and that's fine too, because you'll be the guy still listening to your tunes while everyone else's X5II is charging because their batteries are dead, lol.

p.s. @Brooko @JaZZ @Dobrescu George 

This is the best punctuation/spelling/grammar you are going to get out of me. I love all of three of you :) Thanks for making this forum fun!

Aug 30, 2015 at 10:43 PM Post #3,413 of 7,088
Low gain for me unless the headphones need the high gain.  If I want the illusion of more detail, I simply turn the volume up a smidge.  Those who've done proper volume matched testing will know where I'm coming from 
wink.gif

Aug 31, 2015 at 11:16 AM Post #3,414 of 7,088
Just received my X5 II today, i ordered it to replace my X5 first gen who has an issue with the headphones input (it pauses the playback when i move the X5 a bit too much)
So much has been told about it yet so i'm not gonna make a review but i find the sound difference between the X5 and X5 II more obvious than what i read in most reviews. Ive been listening to it with Nuforce Primo8 intras and Philips Fidelio S2, and i must say that i'm more impressed with the 2nd gen in terms of sound. wider soundstage and a bit more clarity. It does make a difference to me. 
Also very happy with the clockwheel that finally doesn't drive me furious as the original X5 one was. 

One thing annoying is the SACD ISO feature which only works with stereo SACDs, otherwise when playing a multichannel SACD it fails to get to the stereo layer. 

Aug 31, 2015 at 9:47 PM Post #3,415 of 7,088
  Just received my X5 II today, i ordered it to replace my X5 first gen who has an issue with the headphones input (it pauses the playback when i move the X5 a bit too much)
So much has been told about it yet so i'm not gonna make a review but i find the sound difference between the X5 and X5 II more obvious than what i read in most reviews. Ive been listening to it with Nuforce Primo8 intras and Philips Fidelio S2, and i must say that i'm more impressed with the 2nd gen in terms of sound. wider soundstage and a bit more clarity. It does make a difference to me. 
Also very happy with the clockwheel that finally doesn't drive me furious as the original X5 one was. 

One thing annoying is the SACD ISO feature which only works with stereo SACDs, otherwise when playing a multichannel SACD it fails to get to the stereo layer. 

Congrats. And agreed it would be nice if it could read the stereo layer of mch SACDs!

Sep 1, 2015 at 5:03 AM Post #3,417 of 7,088
Regarding the gain issue what's people's thoughts on what gain i should use for my headphones.
They are Sony mdr 1r's.
Thanks

I am a newbie, and I quickly found out that hi-gain is the only way to go for me!

My Note 4 gives up nice SQ when wired to anyone of my 3 sets of headphones (in my sig ). However, when my headphones are wired to the X5ii, it blows away my Note 4, more detail and clarity.

Also from reading this forum, I see no need to hook up my FiiO E18 to equation, as the X5ii seems to have power to spare in driving my 3 sets of headphones.

Just my 2 cents!

Sep 1, 2015 at 12:27 PM Post #3,420 of 7,088
I use the High Gain setting all the time (dead silent background) regardless if I'm using my Westone W40's, B&W P7's or the HE-400/500's. I know that with the IEM's I almost never go any louder than 60-65 for any length of time. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back