FiiO X5 2nd gen Impressions and Discussion thread
Aug 20, 2015 at 6:01 PM Post #3,316 of 7,088
And don't forget to select 'Storage Mode' in the X5ii System Settings menu if you want to use the DAP on its own, without the computer. I believe a reboot of the device is required when switching from DAC to Storage Mode and vice versa.

So far, I haven't personally found a reboot necessary when switching.  I've gone back and forth a couple times and haven't had to reboot the player.  I'm on FW 1.1 if that makes a difference. 

Aug 20, 2015 at 6:08 PM Post #3,317 of 7,088
To be honest I don't use DAC mode but I read this from FiiO for the original X5. Perhaps it's changed since then, good to know.

Aug 20, 2015 at 6:13 PM Post #3,318 of 7,088
To be honest I don't use DAC mode but I read this from FiiO for the original X5. Perhaps it's changed since then, good to know.

Yeah, I've just been playing around with it (like I would with any new "toy"), and I haven't had to reboot it yet, so you must not need to anymore.​

I was a bit surprised to see that my computer volume control still worked when using the X5ii as a DAC. 

Aug 20, 2015 at 6:27 PM Post #3,319 of 7,088

Cool!  Glad you got it working.​

That is the driver control panel.  You don't have to do anything with that if you don't want.  You can even close it if you want. 

Down at the bottom right of your desktop, right click on the little speaker icon and choose "Playback Devices" from the menu.  When the window pops up you should have a list of available playback devices on your computer.  The X5ii should be listed there.  Right click on that and choose "Set as default device."  When you do that the X5ii will now be your playback device for sounds on your computer.  When you play music with your preferred player it should be output from the headphone jack on the X5ii.

When you unplug the X5ii playback should automatically switch back to your computer speakers.  Then, when the X5ii is plugged in again (while in DAC mode) the computer should automatically switch to that for output (since it is the default).  If you want you can always switch back to your computer speakers for default playback.

THANK YOU, El Zilcho !! Sorted now ! ( The term, "set to default scares me !!.....but anything to do with computers does ! )

Aug 20, 2015 at 6:32 PM Post #3,320 of 7,088
Awesome to see folks helping folks out 
beerchug.gif

Aug 20, 2015 at 7:26 PM Post #3,321 of 7,088

I tried the above and it has made it a little faster now about 30 seconds between screens in 'Play By Category'. Still to slow to be usable.

I will format the cards tonight in the player and let you know how I get on. 

Just an update to the above. I haven't formatted the sd cards as yet to try and resolve the issue of 'Play By Category' being painfully slow.

I have been editing the tags in mp3tag in case this has been causing the problem. Although unlikely as i have never had any problem before. The only tags i now have left on my files are: title, artist, album, year, track, genre, album artist, discnumber.

Still having the slow menu issue after the tag tidy up. Most files are mp3 VBR but there are a few fixed bit rate mp3 and aac files.

There are just over 12,000 files split between the 2 sd cards.

I'll update with any progress.

Aug 20, 2015 at 11:59 PM Post #3,322 of 7,088
Just an update to the above. I haven't formatted the sd cards as yet to try and resolve the issue of 'Play By Category' being painfully slow.

I have been editing the tags in mp3tag in case this has been causing the problem. Although unlikely as i have never hjad any problem before. The only tags i now have left on my files are: title, artist, album, year, track, genre, album artist, discnumber.

Still having the slow menu issue after the tag tidy up. Most files are mp3 VBR but there are a few fixed bit rate mp3 and aac files.

There are just over 12,000 files split between the 2 sd cards.

I'll update with any progress.

I'll put my bet on the card being formatted with the X5ii (through the X5ii settings menu) helps you out.

Edit: Never mind...... I forgot you already had the cards formatted with an X1. Shouldn't be different with the X5ii.

Aug 21, 2015 at 4:33 AM Post #3,324 of 7,088
  After the kind help last night, listened via the DAC, switched off my X5ii ( Or so I thought I had !! ) and it's frozen with SEE YOU, on the screen. Can anyone help please ? Is there a re-set button ?

you need to press the powerbutton for 10 to 12 seconds I think, maybe more.
Sadly there is no extra reset button

Aug 21, 2015 at 5:31 AM Post #3,328 of 7,088
I'll put my bet on the card being formatted with the X5ii (through the X5ii settings menu) helps you out.

Edit: Never mind...... I forgot you already had the cards formatted with an X1. Shouldn't be different with the X5ii.

Ok I've looked into the 'Play By Category' being slow moving between screens a bit further.

I put just one micro SD card in at a time each with just over 6000 files. I tried both on their own and the 'Play By Category' section worked great - as quick as browsing by folder.

I then put both micro SD cards in together making a total of 12500 files and the slow issue started again with over 30 seconds delay.

To me it looks as though the firmware is having trouble handling the 12000 files.

Aug 21, 2015 at 5:40 AM Post #3,329 of 7,088

Ok I've looked into the 'Play By Category' being slow moving between screens a bit further.

I put just one micro SD card in at a time each with just over 6000 files. I tried both on their own and the 'Play By Category' section worked great - as quick as browsing by folder.

I then put both micro SD cards in together making a total of 12500 files and the slow issue started again with over 30 seconds delay.

To me it looks as though the firmware is having trouble handling the 12000 files.

Well, 12000 files is a lot of files to handle eh?

With this many files, probably the place where databes are stored gets filled up and this causes the slowdown. 

Aug 21, 2015 at 8:01 AM Post #3,330 of 7,088
Hi everybody !

I'm going to buy the Fiio X5 II and I'm wondering if the Sennheiser momentum In-Ear (Android) might be a choice to go along with or is it a "tragedy" to use In-ear headphones amongst on-ear headphones with that kind of DAP ? Does the remote of the Momentum would work fine with the DAP or rather are they compatible ?

Thank you in advance for your answers,

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back