FiiO X5 2nd gen Impressions and Discussion thread
Aug 19, 2015 at 4:07 PM Post #3,286 of 7,088
Hi Joe,

I have the same issues regarding browse by category working very slowly, to the point where it is unusable. I formatted my SD cards (class 10) in the X5ii (to ensure FAT32) and tried it both completely full, and also when reducing the number of files to less than 5800 per card (tried one card and both cards at the same time).

I also tried removing the cards, running a media lib. updates, and then re-indexing and the issue still persists.

Can you advise if there is an issue with my player? I'm surprised that x RELIC x has his "Browse By Category" working fine.

All the music files on my card are MP3's as well.

You shouldn't be surprised that mine works as designed. Also, not that many people are reporting the same issue you have. If it was a major flaw then many more reports would be showing up. Have you tried using a different file format? I have no MP3 to test the speed under category browsing, but it's just a thought. Perhaps there is a bug when using MP3, or some funky tags in the mix. Sorry, just shooting blind here as I really have no idea what could be causing a 30 - 45 second delay when navigating in categories.

Aug 19, 2015 at 4:24 PM Post #3,287 of 7,088
I don't have this issue either. I wonder what causes it. Could strange category names – e.g. with incompatible characters – be the culprit?

Aug 19, 2015 at 6:14 PM Post #3,288 of 7,088
tags in mp3 can be very problematic. I found this the hard way. Especially if they were not tagged by you. downloaded mp3's from any source can come with problematic tags. It happens even with legal downloads from bandcamp or amazon, if you download in mp3. 

The only solution is very dirty, you have to go through every song, fiind the ones that have problematic tags, and use mp3tag to delete the tags, and re-write them. 

It can take a lot of time..

Aug 19, 2015 at 7:07 PM Post #3,289 of 7,088
  FYI for all the Canuckistanis out there. 

I was in London Drugs yesterday and noticed they had X1, X3ii, X5ii and E11K in stock. If your town/city lacks dedicated audio outfits dealing with headphone audio devices, now there's an alternative. Hopefully all outlets carry these products.

Fiio's dealer network has been expanding pretty steadily here. A good sign for them, I suppose.

Aug 19, 2015 at 8:26 PM Post #3,290 of 7,088
I've got a question.  Does anyone use their X5ii for audiobooks?  I know, I could just get a cheap player for audiobooks, but I'd just as soon use the X5ii if I could.  I tried putting an audiobook I'd purchased through iTunes on it and it wouldn't play.  Turns out that the audiobook files are still protected format.  I checked Audible . com and it lists a way to register an MP3 player to allow it to play their files, but I have a feeling the X5ii wouldn't be supported, and I'm not overly fond of the subscription aspect.

So, anyone listening to audiobooks on their FiiO?

By the way, I know it isn't ideal either way.  There is no position remembering/bookmarking, etc.  But I have it, so if I can use it without too much trouble I will.

Aug 20, 2015 at 4:33 AM Post #3,291 of 7,088
Just an update.....I'm starting to enjoy my X5ii more. Still trying to get used to the sound signature compared to my Sony F886, but what they both have in common is superb detail.
The only annoying thing is I'm often getting a "click" sound between each track, which I think is due to the fact I'm playing converted files ? ( This "click" isn't there on the Sony. )

I haven't sorted out the DAC side of things yet. Not even sure if the drivers have successfully downloaded ?? There's a location there, but no evidence on my player or laptop that anything says, "DAC connected" ? Should it be showing on any media player ?

Aug 20, 2015 at 7:03 AM Post #3,293 of 7,088
  Just an update.....I'm starting to enjoy my X5ii more. Still trying to get used to the sound signature compared to my Sony F886, but what they both have in common is superb detail.
The only annoying thing is I'm often getting a "click" sound between each track, which I think is due to the fact I'm playing converted files ? ( This "click" isn't there on the Sony. )

I haven't sorted out the DAC side of things yet. Not even sure if the drivers have successfully downloaded ?? There's a location there, but no evidence on my player or laptop that anything says, "DAC connected" ? Should it be showing on any media player ?

Once you download the driver you have to install it.  The download will be a zip file with multiple files inside.  Extract the files and run the setup program.  You should have the X5ii set to DAC mode and plugged into the computer when you run the setup program.  Depending on what version of Windows you have you may need to disable driver verification for the drivers to install correctly.  There is a file with installation instructions included in the folder with the download.

Once the driver is installed correctly and the X5ii is connected, the display on the X5ii will say DAC in small letters at the top.  The screen will look a little like the "now playing" screen, but with no information displayed except the bit rate and sample rate.

Once the driver is installed and the X5ii is connected it will show up as a playback device on your computer.  So if you right-click on the sound icon on the system tray (lower right corner of the desktop) and choose "Playback Devices" it will show a list of all available playback devices.  The X5ii should be in that list.  You will likely have enable it as the current playback device.  Once that is done, all the computer sounds will come from the X5ii.

Hopefully that makes sense to you and helps you get it going.  Good luck.

Aug 20, 2015 at 9:54 AM Post #3,294 of 7,088
I got my X5II. 

First impression: I must start tweaking dat UI. 

Second impression, smaller, lighter, cuter. 

Third: The screen is better. Much better. I think that the glass us thinner and filters less light or something. I no longer own x5 to make many direct comparations. It costed me around 75$ to make the upgrade. Worth it. 

Aug 20, 2015 at 10:23 AM Post #3,295 of 7,088
  I got my X5II. 

First impression: I must start tweaking dat UI. 

Second impression, smaller, lighter, cuter. 

Third: The screen is better. Much better. I think that the glass us thinner and filters less light or something. I no longer own x5 to make many direct comparations. It costed me around 75$ to make the upgrade. Worth it. 

Congrats, George!
smile.gif
I hope you like the sound (at least after break-in). It sounded a bit cool and overdetailed out of the box – still good, though.

Yes, I think UI tweaking is mandatory. And fun.

Aug 20, 2015 at 10:32 AM Post #3,296 of 7,088

Congrats, George!
smile.gif
I hope you like the sound (at least after break-in). It sounded a bit cool and overdetailed out of the boy – still good, though.

Yes, I think UI tweaking is mandatory. And fun.

Yeah!
very_evil_smiley.gif

I yet have to listen to it, I must let it charge before first usage. 

I really hope that monday my ie800 is going to come back, they were up for repairs for some time. 

So far, X5II seems like a very worthy successor compared to x5. the better screen is a great deal, I mean, I thought that I would not notice the differences, but the new screen is sharp and nice. 

I hope that my new project for UI will be more popular, and this time I am going to try to post some pictures too. 

Aug 20, 2015 at 11:42 AM Post #3,297 of 7,088
Cover art question.  Someone wrote a post a while ago about extracting cover art to  a folder from tracks.
I was reading the document on my computer and came across one instruction; 'do not check the box, remove duplicate cover'.  If that person is  around, could you tell me why I shouldn't have checked the box?  I found several more jpg files in the folder I tried and wondered what I did wrong.
Thanks in advance.

Aug 20, 2015 at 2:14 PM Post #3,299 of 7,088
You're not listening to the two side-by-side are you George? Going off auditory memory? That's why you perceive bigger differences that may not be there.

Aug 20, 2015 at 2:15 PM Post #3,300 of 7,088
I do not know how SQ is considered to be similar to original X5. IT is different, and in a good way. Better clarity over the entire spectrum in my experience (the first hours of listening)

Most reports are that it has slightly more clarity, better sound quality, but the sound signature is similar to the original. Not surprising. The varied amount of differences reported I would chalk up to different headphones, different ears, different volume levels, etc., all having a factor in how much of a difference is perceived.

You finally got one! Now you can do five themes in one. :wink_face:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back