FiiO X5 2nd gen Impressions and Discussion thread
Aug 19, 2015 at 10:12 AM Post #3,271 of 7,088
  Hi wondering is anyone else is having the same issue as me?

I have 2 128GB micro sd cards in my Fiio X5II both around half full.

I am finding browsing through 'Play By Category' section extremely slow. It takes around a minute to navigate to each screen making it unusable.

I have ended up using 'Browse Files' which works fine but involves a lot of scrolling.

This happens with both firmware versions 1.1 and 1.0 and both sd cards were formatted before use in a Fiio X1.

Any suggestions?

I also experience this.  I have only 1 128GB card (Sandisk SD XC class 10), it has around 16gb free.  With a Mixture of MP3 and FLAC files. I thought it was maybe an issue with the format of the card so i allowed the X5ii to format it and then transferred all my music back.  It did improve it slightly, instead of taking a minute or so to go into each option now takes around 45 seconds... still too long to be usable, so i still use the folder browse option.  I've organised my music into Folders A-Z >> Artist >> Album Title which minimises scrolling as much as possible.

Aug 19, 2015 at 10:27 AM Post #3,272 of 7,088
Quick question. I have been reading about the battery of X5II. In real life, screen on off, with volumes set to loud, does it last like X5? I mean, around 10 hours on normal, 20 on line out and 30 on coaux?

thankx. 

I might pull off buying a X5II, so I wanted to renew my data about it. 

Aug 19, 2015 at 10:34 AM Post #3,273 of 7,088
i mostly use mine in my car. my drive to-and-from work is ~30m, so thats an hr/day driving 5x/wk = 5hrs
when used strictly in my car, it sips power, and id estimate i get about 20h using lineout = 2wks between charges

as for when its on (and i only use the high gain option), yes, 10h seems appropriate

my only gripes are: no battery PERCENTAGE indicator, and the indicator seems to go from FULL for a long time, to all of a sudden half, then it just randomly will turn off without giving any kind of like 1/3 or 1/4 indicator. so it doesnt beep or give you a visual warning when its about to die (that ive noticed), it just turns off. its not until i try to turn it on after that i see it died of a low battery. this could use some work. but the battery is very efficient and of high quality i believe IMO

Aug 19, 2015 at 10:50 AM Post #3,274 of 7,088
Further to the thought about the database,

You can try clearing out the database by ejecting the two cards and then running a media library update. Then insert the two cards and run an update again. Maybe re-indexing your files will help...
redface.gif

How many files does the X5 index out of your two cards in total?

I tried the above and it has made it a little faster now about 30 seconds between screens in 'Play By Category'. Still to slow to be usable.

I will format the cards tonight in the player and let you know how I get on. 

Aug 19, 2015 at 10:59 AM Post #3,275 of 7,088

my only gripes are: no battery PERCENTAGE indicator, and the indicator seems to go from FULL for a long time, to all of a sudden half, then it just randomly will turn off without giving any kind of like 1/3 or 1/4 indicator. so it doesnt beep or give you a visual warning when its about to die (that ive noticed), it just turns off. its not until i try to turn it on after that i see it died of a low battery. this could use some work. but the battery is very efficient and of high quality i believe IMO

My battery indicator acts in a similar fashion.

Staying full for ages, then going down to a 3rd full and stopping suddenly without showing it going all the way down.

Aug 19, 2015 at 11:02 AM Post #3,276 of 7,088
  My battery indicator acts in a similar fashion.

Staying full for ages, then going down to a 3rd full and stopping suddenly without showing it going all the way down.

im glad someone else agreed with me, because i thought i was crazy. this is not a knock on the quality of the battery by any means, its just that the indicator or the so-called coulomb meter is possibly not reporting properly. is there an interval where it checks the battery and reports it to the screen? whats the polling rate @Joe Bloggs

Aug 19, 2015 at 11:14 AM Post #3,277 of 7,088
  im glad someone else agreed with me, because i thought i was crazy. this is not a knock on the quality of the battery by any means, its just that the indicator or the so-called coulomb meter is possibly not reporting properly. is there an interval where it checks the battery and reports it to the screen? whats the polling rate @Joe Bloggs

I thought the 2nd gen was meant to have a more accurate battery meter but it seems to be out of sync in my experience.

The main problem is the sudden drop out when it nears the last quarter of the meter.

Aug 19, 2015 at 11:21 AM Post #3,278 of 7,088
  I thought the 2nd gen was meant to have a more accurate battery meter but it seems to be out of sync in my experience.

The main problem is the sudden drop out when it nears the last quarter of the meter.

very much this. theres a huge drop off once it hits 1/4 of the meter. if there were some auditory feedback like a beep or a certain tone to indicate this when it is in your pocket, or even a voice saying "battery low" or something ~10m before it dies would be nice. battery reporting doesnt seem like a difficult thing to implement. a closed loop that polls the battery and reports back ~1m or so, and compares it to a set point. once that set point is reached, send a message, once it reaches a second set point 5% battery, execute a second message, then upon 0% have shutdown occur. clearly theres something wrong with the code used to report battery stats.

Aug 19, 2015 at 1:21 PM Post #3,279 of 7,088
Figure you guys might like this review - it's for a far more general audience than here, of course, but might be of use for some of you on the fence:

http://nerdystuff.com/2015/08/nerdystuffs-stuff-for-nerds-fiio-x5ii-dap-review/

Aug 19, 2015 at 1:50 PM Post #3,281 of 7,088
Further to the thought about the database,

You can try clearing out the database by ejecting the two cards and then running a media library update. Then insert the two cards and run an update again. Maybe re-indexing your files will help...
redface.gif

How many files does the X5 index out of your two cards in total?

Hi Joe,

I have the same issues regarding browse by category working very slowly, to the point where it is unusable. I formatted my SD cards (class 10) in the X5ii (to ensure FAT32) and tried it both completely full, and also when reducing the number of files to less than 5800 per card (tried one card and both cards at the same time).

I also tried removing the cards, running a media lib. updates, and then re-indexing and the issue still persists.

Can you advise if there is an issue with my player? I'm surprised that x RELIC x has his "Browse By Category" working fine.

All the music files on my card are MP3's as well.

Aug 19, 2015 at 2:06 PM Post #3,283 of 7,088
FYI for all the Canuckistanis out there. 

I was in London Drugs yesterday and noticed they had X1, X3ii, X5ii and E11K in stock. If your town/city lacks dedicated audio outfits dealing with headphone audio devices, now there's an alternative. Hopefully all outlets carry these products.

Aug 19, 2015 at 3:02 PM Post #3,284 of 7,088
  is the reliability of the new jack the same as the old metal jacks?

I had understood that there is more than one reason behind using plastic-rubber this time, but I am really wondering about how reliable the new jacks are. 

Hi George
smile.gif

I have no issues so far and from the looks and feels don't expect any.

Aug 19, 2015 at 3:30 PM Post #3,285 of 7,088

Hi George
smile.gif

I have no issues so far and from the looks and feels don't expect any.

Thanks!

I had been out of head-fi for the last few weeks, because my old laptop stopped working. Now I got a new one, and it is running smooth. But now it was much faster to see where the falws in my theories were in my old projects. I guess I will have to start from scratch. 

I am going to buy an x5II now, because I managed to sell my x5 at a good price. The new owner seemed very happy because mine was in mint condition, I managed to buy it, use it, and sell it without a single scratch on the screen protector or body.

Now, I still have some pages of this thread to read. 

It seems that there are no general problems with x5II, and it seems a very worthy succesor from x5. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back