FiiO X5 2nd gen Impressions and Discussion thread
Aug 12, 2015 at 3:22 PM Post #3,106 of 7,088
The most likely issue with the missing song is an extra character inserted in the path for the file so that it so not an exact match. I had some that had a 1 inserted in the line. It could even be an invisable character like a line feed. Try removing the line and adding it back into the playlist. Sorry I don't know more about Media Center. Good luck with it.

Thanks for the suggestion, i've done some troubleshooting and figured out that it misses out the first song of every playlist.

I just checked the playlists within the player, no #EXTM3U, edited and fixed!

Only downside, everytime i sync i lose the #EXTM3U so have to edit the playlists everytime!

Aug 12, 2015 at 3:24 PM Post #3,107 of 7,088
Hey there- I am looking in to getting the X5ii & this looks like the right place to ask some questions. In case any of them seem silly, I have been using an Archos 605 for the last 6+ years. 
1) Is there any limit to file size? (WAV & FLAC) I prefer listening to classical tracks as one strung together file instead of individual movements. Is this a potential problem? also: Is a larger file going to sound better as a WAV or FLAC? I wonder if the X5ii  will read the WAVs more easily if un-compression is removed from the process.
2) Is it a bad idea to load an SD card with tracks ahead of time? It looks like a card should be FAT32 formatted. Are the folders organized ITunes style or does it all depend on the ID3 tags/ metadata?

thanks ahead of time for any responses

Aug 12, 2015 at 3:58 PM Post #3,108 of 7,088
I really hope you won't be disappointed. I have to admit I didn't read this whole thread, but I skimmed through it and didn't find any negative things. I just got my X5 II last Friday. Sound quality wise I have nothing to complain about, it does sound great for the money. Build quality and software ... well, that's a different story, at least from my point of view. My unit came with the left SD card slot soldered a little off, so the left corner of the card sticks out just a little bit. I'm thinking to use some sandpaper to remove a little bit of plastic from the micro SD card, to make it fit better, but again, for a 400 euros device I wasn't expecting that. Also, the metal around the control wheel came with some small dents, nothing I can't live with but pretty disappointing nonetheless. Maybe it was just bad luck, because I didn't hear about such issues from anyone else.

I did upgrade to the latest firmware the same day I got the device, still I experienced the following issues: at first, suddenly, the unit stopped playing any tracks. It was looking that it was about to start playing, for any of the tracks I tried, but nothing else. I wanted to turn it off and then on again, but it got stuck at "SEE YOU" for about 15 minutes. I eventually had to keep the power button pressed for 6+ seconds to do a "reset". Once it restarted I realised I lost all the music on the left card; by connecting it to the computer it looked like the card was corrupted. I tried to format it in the device (System settings -> Format) but it got stuck there for tens of minutes, so I had to "reset" the device once more. Switched the cards (from one slot to another) and tried to format both again. Left card format completed in a split of a second and then I realised it wasn't actually formatted, music was still there. The card in the right slot took longer to format and eventually got formatted - all ok. I only experienced all of the above once, but I guess everyone's getting my disappointment, to have such issues the first day I got a new highly rated device. Another issue that's still going on is the battery indicator not working correctly. It shows about half charged and then shows the "battery low" message and shuts down. Happened twice to me already. Coulomb meter for precise battery level readouts being a selling point, that's another disappointment right there.

To be honest, I would probably return it if I could; I am amazed that I didn't read any complaints before, I can only assume it was just bad luck for me and I'm wondering if maybe I got a faulty unit. I'd really like to know if anyone else has similar issues...

I hope you won't have any problems and hope you enjoy your purchase. Sorry for the mostly negative tone, just wanted to share my experience and maybe get some feedback... Cheers!

Just a thought, that SD card acting differently could be the problem.

Aug 12, 2015 at 4:16 PM Post #3,109 of 7,088
Hey there- I am looking in to getting the X5ii & this looks like the right place to ask some questions. In case any of them seem silly, I have been using an Archos 605 for the last 6+ years. 
1) Is there any limit to file size? (WAV & FLAC) I prefer listening to classical tracks as one strung together file instead of individual movements. Is this a potential problem? also: Is a larger file going to sound better as a WAV or FLAC? I wonder if the X5ii  will read the WAVs more easily if un-compression is removed from the process.
2) Is it a bad idea to load an SD card with tracks ahead of time? It looks like a card should be FAT32 formatted. Are the folders organized ITunes style or does it all depend on the ID3 tags/ metadata?

thanks ahead of time for any responses

1) Technically the file size limit will be determined by the method the card was formatted. FAT32 can read a maximum file size of 4gb so there's your limit. If you want to use ExFAT or NTFS you need to have a t least a small FAT32 card to put new firmware on for firmware upgrades. As far as WAV or FLAC there is no audible difference between the two so why not choose the one that uses less space. Same reasons why you don't lose data when compressing a file on your computer to a .zip or .tar file.

2) The safest way to format your card is to insert it in the X5ii and choose format in the settings menu. This ensures the format is compatible with the device with the proper allocation unit size to operate smoothly. The folder organization is determined entirely by the user and the tags in the music file. Folder organization for folder browsing, tag organization for category browsing.

Aug 12, 2015 at 4:31 PM Post #3,111 of 7,088
I had a near religious experience the other night while listening to the X5 II and the new remastered version (from HDtracks) "Rodger Waters - Amused To Death." I bought that album when it came out in 92/93 and always enjoyed it, but the other night it was late, everyone had gone to bed so I got comfortable and sat back and got lost in the music for a couple hours (played it twice). Being rather new to this headphone/DAP experience I still find it amazing that you can have that quality of sound in a device that fits in your pocket and hear details that I miss when using either of my stereo setups. I'm convinced that removing the room's interaction with the speakers from the equation plays a large part. Either way, I'm enjoying it. :D

Not AMUSED by this album. I've played it last two nights in bed and was probably just drifting off both times. I suddenly jumped out of bed in alarm, before realising as ie800s ripped out of my ears, that the phone ringing at high volume was Roger Waters recording and not the late night call that is usually bad news about my elderly mother, the only time we get late calls!

Can't believe I've fallen for it twice!

Seriously, some great music on that album. Just not the phone ringing :)

Aug 12, 2015 at 4:50 PM Post #3,113 of 7,088
Not AMUSED by this album. I've played it last two nights in bed and was probably just drifting off both times. I suddenly jumped out of bed in alarm, before realising as ie800s ripped out of my ears, that the phone ringing at high volume was Roger Waters recording and not the late night call that is usually bad news about my elderly mother, the only time we get late calls!

Can't believe I've fallen for it twice!

Seriously, some great music on that album. Just not the phone ringing :)

I've fallen for that a time or two myself and I'm very familiar with the album as I bought it when it first came out in the 90's. At one point there's a dog barking way off to the right, and when I had a room dedicated to just my stereo setup my Dobie perked up (hearing that) and started barking at the window on that side of the room, like the other dog was just outside.  

When the horse and sleigh start from way off to your left it sounds incredible through my Maggies, as it passes you by and runs right out the other side of the room and keeps going...amazing stuff. Of course, it helps if you enjoy the music in the first place. 

There are some cool changes made on the new remastered version, Waters wanted to use the voice of H.A.L. 9000 back in the 90's, but Stanley Kubrick wouldn't give him permission. It's on the new album...apparently Kubrick wanted to use some Pink Floyd music in "A Clockwork Orange" but Pink Floyd said no. I guess they're both over the hard feelings now. 

Aug 12, 2015 at 5:03 PM Post #3,114 of 7,088

There are some cool changes made on the new remastered version, Waters wanted to use the voice of H.A.L. 9000 back in the 90's, but Stanley Kubrick wouldn't give him permission. It's on the new album...apparently Kubrick wanted to use some Pink Floyd music in "A Clockwork Orange" but Pink Floyd said no. I guess they're both over the hard feelings now. 

Not sure Roger is the most forgiving fella, nor Dave G for that matter, otherwise we would probably have had a few more Pink Floyd classics :wink:

Aug 12, 2015 at 5:08 PM Post #3,115 of 7,088

Not sure Roger is the most forgiving fella, nor Dave G for that matter, otherwise we would probably have had a few more Pink Floyd classics :wink:

No doubt about that, funny thing is Waters was on Stern not long ago and watching it you'd think he's easy to get along with, but I seriously doubt that is so...unless he's mellowed with age.  
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jw7qjLNn_1c

Aug 12, 2015 at 5:21 PM Post #3,116 of 7,088
Looking for some headphones to pair with this, been reading up on Audeze and Sennheisers. Budget is 400 - 600. Is it worth spending more on the headphone than the player or should I consider something cheaper. Suggestions please. Listen to electronica, heavy rock, rock. Thanks in advance

Aug 12, 2015 at 5:54 PM Post #3,117 of 7,088
I have a couple pair of planar can's but the headphones I use most are my B&W P7's. There are a ton of great headphones in that price range, I've heard great things about the Oppo PM-3's, the NAD HP50's are supposed to be very nice, and Audeze has their new EL 8's. I'd bet that the new HiFiMan HE-400i's would sound great with the X5 II. I use my Westone IEM's more often than any of my headphones, but it sounds like you're looking for headphones, not IEM's. Good luck!

Aug 12, 2015 at 6:19 PM Post #3,118 of 7,088
I have the Oppo PM-3's and the B&W P5's and have heard the P7's.The Oppo's are more accurate and I can listen long periods with no fatigue.
Also if you get these order the Apple cable. It works well with the X5ii

Aug 12, 2015 at 6:59 PM Post #3,119 of 7,088
I had to send my X5 back to China for a repair so I bought an X5ii to keep me company while it's gone.

I'm enjoying it's slightly smaller size and much better screen. It's hard to judge the difference in sound quality without having both units to test.

The only problem I've found is that it's not always perfect at handling gapless. I have found so far one album of MP3 and one of AAC, both purchased albums, that don't "close the gap." And I am on FW 1.1. Hoping this will be fixed eventually. It is a small annoyance but a little click in the middle of perfection is very noticeable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back