FiiO X5 2nd gen Impressions and Discussion thread
Aug 11, 2015 at 2:45 PM Post #3,076 of 7,088
I'm uncertain if this has been answered before, so please excuse the repetition if so.

Does the X5 2nd gen mark songs with a play count increase?
I am unable to tell if the player does this as I have been syncing one way, server to player, for songs, but with the old iPod I used to sync both ways and any plays on the iPod were noted in iTunes.  This would require the X5 to edit the file and add the playcount to the file.  Does it do this?

Aug 11, 2015 at 2:53 PM Post #3,077 of 7,088

I have a review unit of the X5II and E12A in the house. Definitely an improvement over the original. I'll be putting it through it's paces in the next couple of weeks. So far, it passed the "Layla" test. 

About DSD: It's not the file that makes the difference, it is the decoding done by the DA converter that causes the difference in the sound.

If you still have the ALO Rx I suggest you take the X5ii/Rx stack for a spin. Very good combination with the Angie so I suspect Layla would be equal/better.

Aug 11, 2015 at 3:01 PM Post #3,078 of 7,088
Got it. Now what about buying a high resolution download. Can I reasonably assume that the download is created from a Studio Master at a higher resolution than a CD? While the sample rate may not make a difference (obvious debate these days), logically the bit depth could if it was mastered at 24 bit. Do you think they are worth the gamble that it came from a Studio Master? Thanks for taking the time to help me understand this stuff.

That's a big debate. Some companies upres some tracks from redbook cd without disclosure and some companies identify those which are from studio masters or upres versions. You need to be diligent to find out the source.

The 24 bit debate is also pretty loaded. As I understand it the higher bit depth is going to give a better noise floor in the track, but by all logic 16 bits are easily enough for humans range of hearing with room to spare. That is why it's been chosen as the standard in the first place all those years ago. Now purchasing 24bit material sometimes means a re-master or more care was taken in the master/transfer to digital so that's where most of the differences you hear will be.

Aug 11, 2015 at 3:04 PM Post #3,079 of 7,088
I'm uncertain if this has been answered before, so please excuse the repetition if so.

Does the X5 2nd gen mark songs with a play count increase?
I am unable to tell if the player does this as I have been syncing one way, server to player, for songs, but with the old iPod I used to sync both ways and any plays on the iPod were noted in iTunes.  This would require the X5 to edit the file and add the playcount to the file.  Does it do this?

Nope - No such feature. These DAPs are very lean in the tagging department compared to Apple devices and iTunes.

Aug 11, 2015 at 5:05 PM Post #3,082 of 7,088
The X5ii will have no issues whatsoever driving the M50X.

@rbalcom - the differences you are hearing will likely be either:

1. Sound sig diff between X5ii and flavouring of the added amp
  2. Different volume between the amped M50X and the unamped M50X (most likely)
  3. Combination of the two

The problem with casual comparisons between amped and unamped is that most people won't volume match, or if they do - they consider volume matching by ear "close enough".  The problem is that our ears (along with our brains interpretation of what we hear) is not an accurate decibel meter. Its common practice to have the amped signal louder - even by as little as 0.5 dB.  We perceive the louder signal to have:
 - better dynamics
 - better soundstage
 - better bass
etc

In reality - if the signals were volume matched, and you were tested blind, you'd find many of the perceived differences don't exist.

Aug 11, 2015 at 5:29 PM Post #3,083 of 7,088
  The X5ii will have no issues whatsoever driving the M50X.

@rbalcom - the differences you are hearing will likely be either:

1. Sound sig diff between X5ii and flavouring of the added amp
  2. Different volume between the amped M50X and the unamped M50X (most likely)
  3. Combination of the two

The problem with casual comparisons between amped and unamped is that most people won't volume match, or if they do - they consider volume matching by ear "close enough".  The problem is that our ears (along with our brains interpretation of what we hear) is not an accurate decibel meter. Its common practice to have the amped signal louder - even by as little as 0.5 dB.  We perceive the louder signal to have:
 - better dynamics
 - better soundstage
 - better bass
etc

In reality - if the signals were volume matched, and you were tested blind, you'd find many of the perceived differences don't exist.

Would never disagree with anything that you said in taking me to task for having an opinion, which I stated in my comment on the subject was very subjective. After you put away all the test equipment and theory, our perception of the SQ is what we spend our money on. I never stated anything beyond my subjective opinion and called it that.

Aug 11, 2015 at 5:39 PM Post #3,085 of 7,088
Upgrade-itis strikes again! I sold my X3ii yesterday and purchased an X5ii. I'm keeping my E12a though, too sweet of an amp so I just can't part with it.

Congrats! :)

Keep us posted on your impressions.

Aug 11, 2015 at 5:41 PM Post #3,086 of 7,088
Try rereading my original comment with a completely neutral tone, and imagine I have a smile on my face
wink.gif

No offence intended or taken.  I'm just giving you the benefit of the time I've personally taken performing blind volume matched tests, and relating my own experiences.  It really is worth doing if you have the time.  Nothing wrong with preferring to amp your M50s.  I just have found its better to know why.

Quote:
Would never disagree with anything that you said in taking me to task for having an opinion, which I stated in my comment on the subject was very subjective. After you put away all the test equipment and theory, our perception of the SQ is what we spend our money on. I never stated anything beyond my subjective opinion and called it that. Sorry if my perception offended you.

Aug 11, 2015 at 5:41 PM Post #3,087 of 7,088
That's a big debate. Some companies upres some tracks from redbook cd without disclosure and some companies identify those which are from studio masters or upres versions. You need to be diligent to find out the source.

The 24 bit debate is also pretty loaded. As I understand it the higher bit depth is going to give a better noise floor in the track, but by all logic 16 bits are easily enough for humans range of hearing with room to spare. That is why it's been chosen as the standard in the first place all those years ago. Now purchasing 24bit material sometimes means a re-master or more care was taken in the master/transfer to digital so that's where most of the differences you hear will be.

Good information to know. Thanks for explaining it to me.

Aug 11, 2015 at 6:07 PM Post #3,089 of 7,088
Congrats!
smily_headphones1.gif

Keep us posted on your impressions.

That  E12A is a sweet sounding amp and it did improve the sound (IMO) of the OG X5 That's no slight against the X5, the E12A simply is a better amp (once again, IMO) than the one built into the OG X5. My gut tells me that the Muses opamps allow for a wider/deeper soundstage while not messing up the goodness of the DAC section in both the X5 and X5 II. To be perfectly honest, I haven't even tried the E12A with my X5 II yet...I think FiiO did a really nice job improving the amp section of the DAP and I enjoy having only the one component to carry around. 

I had a near religious experience the other night while listening to the X5 II and the new remastered version (from HDtracks) "Rodger Waters - Amused To Death." I bought that album when it came out in 92/93 and always enjoyed it, but the other night it was late, everyone had gone to bed so I got comfortable and sat back and got lost in the music for a couple hours (played it twice). Being rather new to this headphone/DAP experience I still find it amazing that you can have that quality of sound in a device that fits in your pocket and hear details that I miss when using either of my stereo setups. I'm convinced that removing the room's interaction with the speakers from the equation plays a large part. Either way, I'm enjoying it. 
biggrin.gif

Aug 11, 2015 at 6:24 PM Post #3,090 of 7,088
That  E12A is a sweet sounding amp and it did improve the sound (IMO) of the OG X5 That's no slight against the X5, the E12A simply is a better amp (once again, IMO) than the one built into the OG X5. My gut tells me that the Muses opamps allow for a wider/deeper soundstage while not messing up the goodness of the DAC section in both the X5 and X5 II. To be perfectly honest, I haven't even tried the E12A with my X5 II yet...I think FiiO did a really nice job improving the amp section of the DAP and I enjoy having only the one component to carry around. 

I had a near religious experience the other night while listening to the X5 II and the new remastered version (from HDtracks) "Rodger Waters - Amused To Death." I bought that album when it came out in 92/93 and always enjoyed it, but the other night it was late, everyone had gone to bed so I got comfortable and sat back and got lost in the music for a couple hours (played it twice). Being rather new to this headphone/DAP experience I still find it amazing that you can have that quality of sound in a device that fits in your pocket and hear details that I miss when using either of my stereo setups. I'm convinced that removing the room's interaction with the speakers from the equation plays a large part. Either way, I'm enjoying it. :D

+1 those aha listening sessions are magnificent! My E12a amp was tethered to my former X3ii and nicely supported in a Lowepro camera case so I'm cool with the brick (now it's tethered to the X5ii). In fact wasn't it you that posted the Lowepro camera case? I like having the option of listening with or without the E12a.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back