FiiO X5 2nd gen Impressions and Discussion thread
Jul 20, 2015 at 10:56 PM Post #2,821 of 7,088
What's interesting about the defect reports is that there are so many different types of problems: they're not all the same. 

So, Fiio can't simply isolate a single issue (a particular component or UI glitch); instead, it seems like the manufacturing process overall is the issue. Perhaps Fiio is cost cutting with componentry or their procedure for testing units (perhaps they test an insufficient number of samples?) is inadequate. 

My sense is that Fiio releases beta level products, and attempts to cover glitches along the way, and not always successfully.

For example, the X3II still has a 5800 song limit?

For me, the X5's SQ is so good, I can overlook the rather primitive UI. It's really too bad the X5II isn't a clear cut homerun/upgrade over the X5.

I bought an X5 rather late into it's production cycle and aside from firmware issues, and the scroll wheel's lack of precision, the product works as designed, bringing superior SQ at a reasonable price.

A few random issues are normal for all electronics. If they were all alike, that would be a pattern for concern, and a genuine design flaw showing its ugly head.

You can argue it's not "a few" problems, but I've been following this thread for a while now, and see no sign the percentage is very high. Remember, a person is FAR more likely to voice their opinion when they are dissatisfied than when they are content. Even forgetting that, we are not hearing many failures.... on these forums, at least.

Jul 21, 2015 at 1:14 AM Post #2,823 of 7,088
If they're embedded they should just show up. If you're using cover.jpg external album art it needs to have the same name as the music file and placed in the same folder.

Jul 21, 2015 at 7:37 AM Post #2,824 of 7,088
It's really not a health risk. First off, it's inside the chip, so you are not coming in contact with it. Second, if it did break, you would simply throw it away and wash your hands. It's prolonged exposure to the stuff that is harmful.

There is zero exposure, with regular, proscribed use of these chips.

Again. don't eat them.

Good advice, but if people really cant resist, I suggest swallowing them whole rather than chewing and crunching them first :wink:

Jul 21, 2015 at 8:27 AM Post #2,825 of 7,088

It's really not a health risk. First off, it's inside the chip, so you are not coming in contact with it. Second, if it did break, you would simply throw it away and wash your hands. It's prolonged exposure to the stuff that is harmful.

There is zero exposure, with regular, proscribed use of these chips.

Again. don't eat them.

Good advice, but if people really cant resist, I suggest swallowing them whole rather than chewing and crunching them first :wink:

See, I was thinking more about the damage they could do once they end up in landfill.

Jul 21, 2015 at 1:32 PM Post #2,826 of 7,088
Reported my headphone jack problem to Amazon  on Sunday evening.. Got a brand new X5ii Tuesday morning, with a return label to ship the defective one back. Amazon, clearly a winner with me on customer service. 

Now, going to check the headphone jack right away, with 3 sets of headphones with 3 different wires. That is how I found out the 1st X5ii I got was surely on the X5ii and not the wires or headphones..

New X5ii charging right now... 

Jul 21, 2015 at 2:06 PM Post #2,827 of 7,088
I feel kind of STUPID!!

I got to ADMIT, my mistake, my fault..

I am sending a 10 day old X5ii back because I THOUGHT the headphone jack was bad..

Yes, I called myself checking it with 3 different headphones and 3 different set of wires before I made the claim of defective.

Today, the new unit arrive. I charged it up, added sd card with music, and turn it on.. To my surprise, the SAME THING WAS HAPPENING. Quickly, I rushed to get a 2nd set of headphones and wires, same thing. Finally, I used a 3rd set of headphones and different wires, all the same thing. Not getting sound out the right can.. I quickly got on the  computer to try to call the store that is selling this, as I got this through Amazon. I searching for the customer service number to the store, something in my brain, said, "wait a minute", what are the chances are you get TWO defective units one right after another? Also, the same thing. Something in my mind was pointing a finger at ME.. I went back the X5ii, this time, I checked to see if I was pushing the 3.5 pin all the way down, I WASN'T. I pushed it all the way down, and here comes the beautiful sweet sounding music out of both cans. I tried all 3 sets of headphones and wires, and they all sounding perfect.

In summary, nothing was WRONG with my 1st X5ii, I was just not pushing the 3.5 audio pin all the way down. Funny, I didn't catch that at first, I thought I was doing everything possible to pinpoint the defect.

I feel like a jackass..I will keep the new unit, as they both are identical, the other unit was 10 days old.

Jul 21, 2015 at 2:32 PM Post #2,828 of 7,088
  In summary, nothing was WRONG with my 1st X5ii, I was just not pushing the 3.5 audio pin all the way down. Funny, I didn't catch that at first, I thought I was doing everything possible to pinpoint the defect.

I feel like a jackass..I will keep the new unit, as they both are identical, the other unit was 10 days old.

You should be commended for being honest as some people wouldn't have admitted their mistake.  That initially occurred to me when using Furutech cords with the X5 that feature a slight ridge around the connection.  Using these cords with the case on the DAP required ensuring they were fully plugged in.

Jul 21, 2015 at 8:03 PM Post #2,830 of 7,088
I've just been playing a DSD Iso file while listening via the line out using an NX1 amp, and can report that the X5ii doesn't get warm compared to listing to a 24bit flac file using the Headphone out socket.

Jul 21, 2015 at 8:09 PM Post #2,831 of 7,088
What might be the cause of a 'Load Fail' when trying to access certain folders?

It is happening on 2 particular folders, but I am not sure what is different about them both as they both contain flac files. Is there
Does PNG or Txt files cause this problem?

EDIT: Well I got both folders to play. I deleted the txt and png files from one folder and that worked.
And I deleted the txt and png files from another folder, but had to move the music files and cue sheet up a level as they were 2 levels down in the folder.

Both playing now.

Jul 21, 2015 at 9:03 PM Post #2,834 of 7,088
  http://www.amazon.com/Bplus-B1912A-Push-Push-Push-Eject-Connector/dp/B00L9OB95G/ref=sr_1_6?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1436310628&sr=1-6&keywords=micro+sd+to+sd+adapter

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back