FiiO X5 2nd gen Impressions and Discussion thread
Jul 20, 2015 at 8:32 AM Post #2,791 of 7,088
You're crazy.
wink_face.gif

I'll take that as a complement. I guess me and a whole bunch of audiophiles as well as some Sony engineers!

Jul 20, 2015 at 8:36 AM Post #2,792 of 7,088
  I had not noticed a difference between microsd cards, most sound the same to me. I cannot compare to a OTG drive, because I do not have any compatible. 

I wonder if the sony microsd really makes a difference?

I also wonder why microsd would have any noise? I mean, it is supposed to be silent considering the internals used, and the simple-ness of circuits. 

Its a first for me too, noticing a difference. No idea about the sony card and beats me why micro sd's or any sd's would have any noise at all. But from my experience with the x5 II, they seem to.

Jul 20, 2015 at 8:40 AM Post #2,793 of 7,088
ps. i'm glad I provoked some humor on this otherwise quite sedate thread!

Look, if they do throw us in a padded cell will they let me keep my x5 II? 

Jul 20, 2015 at 8:43 AM Post #2,794 of 7,088
  ps. i'm glad I provoked some humor on this otherwise quite sedate thread!

Look, if they do throw us in a padded cell will they let me keep my x5 II? 

My friend (member) @lee730 has heard differences between micro sd cards, we speak about this sometimes. I personally have thought to hear a difference switching between one players internal and external memory. 

You're not so crazy and its open minds that find adventure.

Jul 20, 2015 at 9:08 AM Post #2,795 of 7,088

My friend (member) @lee730 has heard differences between micro sd cards, we speak about this sometimes. I personally have thought to hear a difference switching between one players internal and external memory. 

You're not so crazy and its open minds that find adventure.

Like someone said, It's the normal people we need to worry about
wink_face.gif

Since we are on this rarified topic, do you know of some cards/brands that are better (lower noise) than others? The adventure of having to pop for that expensive Sony is giving me the financial shakes....

Jul 20, 2015 at 9:11 AM Post #2,796 of 7,088
wink_face.gif

Since we are on this rarified topic, do you know of some cards/brands that are better (lower noise) than others? The adventure of having to pop for that expensive Sony is giving me the financial shakes....

As my last post on the subject - I can tell you the member Lee above was personally hearing differences between higher capacity 64gb cards and lower-capacity 32gb cards. Maybe you want to start there.

Goodluck, crazy person! 
wink_face.gif

Jul 20, 2015 at 9:39 AM Post #2,797 of 7,088
wink_face.gif

Unfortunately what I found was the main culprit is the higher the capacity the card, the worse it gets, so 8>16>32>64....  Not as important, but also found the high speed models of each brand a bit better: Lexar 633x, Sandisk Extreme Pro, Toshiba Exceria.

But probably best to just tell yourself your hearing things and use whatever sd card like everyone else lol.

Jul 20, 2015 at 9:53 AM Post #2,798 of 7,088
same brand, same class, the 32gb will sound better than the 64gb by experience and yes the sony premium sound microsd do make a difference too!  all by  experience and not hearsay.

Jul 20, 2015 at 10:47 AM Post #2,799 of 7,088
  same brand, same class, the 32gb will sound better than the 64gb by experience and yes the sony premium sound microsd do make a difference too!  all by  experience and not hearsay.

While the sony might be great, it does use mercury inside, so... I would rather use any other brand, even if it is with noise,

Jul 20, 2015 at 1:04 PM Post #2,800 of 7,088
While the sony might be great, it does use mercury inside, so... I would rather use any other brand, even if it is with noise,

Why? You're not supposed to eat them.

Jul 20, 2015 at 1:21 PM Post #2,802 of 7,088
Jul 20, 2015 at 1:22 PM Post #2,803 of 7,088
Apparently many fish you can buy at the supermarket have unhealthy levels of mercury, I would be more worried about that. Also many 'health supplements' like protein powders have been tested to have arsenic, cadmium, lead and mercury, YIKES, as if mercury alone isn't bad enough. I'd rather the sd card have mercury than my food.

Jul 20, 2015 at 1:48 PM Post #2,804 of 7,088

Why? You're not supposed to eat them.

Oh great, NOW you tell me...they're good with Dip. 
biggrin.gif

Mmmmmmmmm,Mercury, drool drool.
tongue_smile.gif

Mercury is nasty stuff, but I would think that the minuscule amount used in a memory card, even if thousands of them were sold, would have no more than a negligible effect on the environment.

Jul 20, 2015 at 2:34 PM Post #2,805 of 7,088
I have had my x5ii for about four days now and have noticed a few issues. One the lag between the track skip and the next track starting is about one to two seconds. The lag between track skip and the next track album art appearing is about four to five seconds. The interface is something I am not at all used to but is something I am willing to work with for the sound. The headphone out worked fine for about Thirty minutes on a two hour drive then cut out so then I so switch to line out and use my car stereo volume which was fine. I powered the unit off then on and tried the headphone jack and I could hear a very faint sound (the track playback) so I took out the headphone line (iem M-duo) and reconnected it. The sound was not there until I hit the back button a few times to get back to the main screen from the current track screen. Once the sound came back it was horribly distorted. like I had the volume and bass all the way up but the gain was low and the eq was set to off. Volume was set to 70. I have to put it at >50 to keep it from distorting. The iems were brand new and this was my first time testing them so I tried the same set up with my ath-m50x and had the same result. Using the x5ii set to line out it works great with headphones or car stereo. It has a transparent sound and keeps the track true to its original recording. The tracks I tested were in flac and mp3 format. I am convinced that either my dap is faulty or I have missed something in the settings. I will do a reset on the device then try again. The lag in the UI has to be fixed as well. For the price of the x5ii I can tolerate an UI such as this but not the lag in transitions. Not for $350. That's something i could understand in a $20 unit but not something rocking this kind of hardware. If anyone has any suggestions for me to try to fix the issue I would appreciate the gesture very much. Is there a specific folder layout to adhere to to keep the system from lagging while trying to find my music or album art? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back