FiiO X5 2nd gen Impressions and Discussion thread
Jul 20, 2015 at 2:56 PM Post #2,806 of 7,088
I would try to keep myself as far as possible from mercury. In the case it breaks or leaks from wear. Mercury is toxic the most if yuu breathe it. 

But for a dedicated audiphile, I think that it might be worth the trade. 

It's really not a health risk. First off, it's inside the chip, so you are not coming in contact with it. Second, if it did break, you would simply throw it away and wash your hands. It's prolonged exposure to the stuff that is harmful.

There is zero exposure, with regular, proscribed use of these chips.

Again. don't eat them. I would also advise against buying hundreds of them, and then breaking them open and sniffing up the mercury. Just my opinion, to be taken with a grain of salt. :wink:

Jul 20, 2015 at 3:27 PM Post #2,807 of 7,088
  I have had my x5ii for about four days now and have noticed a few issues. One the lag between the track skip and the next track starting is about one to two seconds. The lag between track skip and the next track album art appearing is about four to five seconds.

I don't have any suggestions about how to fix any of your problems. I can tell you of my experience with the track change and art change. I am running the player in random play mode. I have about 14L tracks over two 128 gig cards. I have mostly FLAC 16 bit 44.1K files with maybe 25% being 24/96 or 24/192. There are also maybe 10% 320K MP3 files. When I press the lower right button to change tracks, it happens instantly, any time I have paid careful attention it was under a second. Actually it has surprised me that it was so quick to laod the next song when in random play mode. Art changes in 1 to two seconds, mostly closer to 1 second.

So the question is, why the difference?  Do you have gapless playback enabled. I know that track changes should not be influenced by this, but I am looking for differences. When you change tracks, are the tracks on different micro SD cards? How big is your album art. Not sure what size mine is... just the default that Poweramp embeds.

Maybe your  unit is sick. Have you contacted FiiO about what is happening.

Jul 20, 2015 at 4:28 PM Post #2,809 of 7,088
  Is it just me, or does there seem to be more reports of faulty units with the X5ii than there was with the X5i?

Fiio has a great QC, I think that there are very few reports, I counted less than 5, and considering that there are countless buyers, buying every single day, I think that it is a great score, under 0.001% of sold units have problems

Jul 20, 2015 at 4:54 PM Post #2,810 of 7,088

Is it just me, or does there seem to be more reports of faulty units with the X5ii than there was with the X5i?

Fiio has a great QC, I think that there are very few reports, I counted less than 5, and considering that there are countless buyers, buying every single day, I think that it is a great score, under 0.001% of sold units have problems

I didn't mean to suggest that FiiO's QC is not good. I simply made an observation. It seems to me that there are more people complaining about issues with their gen2 in this thread then there was in the gen1 thread when it was first released.

Jul 20, 2015 at 5:01 PM Post #2,811 of 7,088
I am going to reset the device then retest. If the issues are still present then I will contact Amazon since they are very good with returns and just exchange the device. I will give this a valid try with a working unit before I say anything about it. The main reason I posted was to see if any these were known issues and they were maybe an upcoming update might resolve them. Plus it is always good that if anyone did have a fix and posted it, then others with the issue may come to this thread and have the find it. To me this seems like a software issue. There is no way the headphone out should sound that way and if it was common I would have read about it by now. 

Jul 20, 2015 at 5:26 PM Post #2,812 of 7,088
I didn't mean to suggest that FiiO's QC is not good. I simply made an observation. It seems to me that there are more people complaining about issues with their gen2 in this thread then there was in the gen1 thread when it was first released.

Hardware or software? Software was way worse on the original. Plus I suspect there is a much larger consumer base for the new unit.

Baysick831 skipping from one track to the next should be instant for the music playback. I have no lag in playback whatsoever skipping from DSD to 24/192 FLAC to 320 AAC to redbook ALAC etc.. If it's taking a long time to skip I suggest that you format the card with the X5ii though the settings menu, or if you have done that then try a different card. As far as the art displaying slowly it's from album art that is too large. The screen is 400x360 pixels so there is no need for album art larger than that on the X5ii, and FiiO recommends keepin the art below 1024x1024.

It's normal for album art to take a bit to display but four seconds is extreme.

Not sure about your headphone jack woes.

Jul 20, 2015 at 7:45 PM Post #2,814 of 7,088

None of us has any way of knowing what the actual defect rate is. 

On another topic, I A/B'ed an identical track with a 32 gig microsd, vs 128 gb microsd: they sound the same. Shocking. 

Jul 20, 2015 at 8:04 PM Post #2,815 of 7,088
  I have had my x5ii for about four days now and have noticed a few issues. One the lag between the track skip and the next track starting is about one to two seconds. The lag between track skip and the next track album art appearing is about four to five seconds. The interface is something I am not at all used to but is something I am willing to work with for the sound. The headphone out worked fine for about Thirty minutes on a two hour drive then cut out so then I so switch to line out and use my car stereo volume which was fine. I powered the unit off then on and tried the headphone jack and I could hear a very faint sound (the track playback) so I took out the headphone line (iem M-duo) and reconnected it. The sound was not there until I hit the back button a few times to get back to the main screen from the current track screen. Once the sound came back it was horribly distorted. like I had the volume and bass all the way up but the gain was low and the eq was set to off. Volume was set to 70. I have to put it at >50 to keep it from distorting. The iems were brand new and this was my first time testing them so I tried the same set up with my ath-m50x and had the same result. Using the x5ii set to line out it works great with headphones or car stereo. It has a transparent sound and keeps the track true to its original recording. The tracks I tested were in flac and mp3 format. I am convinced that either my dap is faulty or I have missed something in the settings. I will do a reset on the device then try again. The lag in the UI has to be fixed as well. For the price of the x5ii I can tolerate an UI such as this but not the lag in transitions. Not for $350. That's something i could understand in a $20 unit but not something rocking this kind of hardware. If anyone has any suggestions for me to try to fix the issue I would appreciate the gesture very much. Is there a specific folder layout to adhere to to keep the system from lagging while trying to find my music or album art? 

Your headphone-output issue sounds like a short-circuit to me. Have you ever considered that? For instance it could be a bad fit between headphone socket and headphone plug.

Jul 20, 2015 at 8:15 PM Post #2,816 of 7,088
I have a question about gapless.  It's simply:  Why don't players just perform gaplessly as default?  Why the need to turn it on or off?  Mine's always been on.
I'm seriously curious.

Jul 20, 2015 at 9:34 PM Post #2,817 of 7,088
Amazon is one daying me an replacement x5ii. I can't wait. With all of the issues I am experiencing I still have to say that you cannot bad mouth a device until you have fully tested it at its full potential. So please do not let my problems deter you from giving it a try yourself.

Jul 20, 2015 at 9:34 PM Post #2,818 of 7,088
  I am coming from an e18k strapped to my Note 4. From what I read the x3ii has about the same sound signature as that which is what i like. With that said the e18k is my only experience into the world of high def audio. So I figured I might as well try the top of the fiio dap line, why settle for second best. If it's not for me, I can always step it down to the x3ii. 

Jul 20, 2015 at 9:57 PM Post #2,819 of 7,088
What's interesting about the defect reports is that there are so many different types of problems: they're not all the same. 

So, Fiio can't simply isolate a single issue (a particular component or UI glitch); instead, it seems like the manufacturing process overall is the issue. Perhaps Fiio is cost cutting with componentry or their procedure for testing units (perhaps they test an insufficient number of samples?) is inadequate. 

My sense is that Fiio releases beta level products, and attempts to cover glitches along the way, and not always successfully.

For example, the X3II still has a 5800 song limit?

For me, the X5's SQ is so good, I can overlook the rather primitive UI. It's really too bad the X5II isn't a clear cut homerun/upgrade over the X5.

I bought an X5 rather late into it's production cycle and aside from firmware issues, and the scroll wheel's lack of precision, the product works as designed, bringing superior SQ at a reasonable price.

Jul 20, 2015 at 10:49 PM Post #2,820 of 7,088
  I have had my x5ii for about four days now and have noticed a few issues. One the lag between the track skip and the next track starting is about one to two seconds. The lag between track skip and the next track album art appearing is about four to five seconds. The interface is something I am not at all used to but is something I am willing to work with for the sound. The headphone out worked fine for about Thirty minutes on a two hour drive then cut out so then I so switch to line out and use my car stereo volume which was fine. I powered the unit off then on and tried the headphone jack and I could hear a very faint sound (the track playback) so I took out the headphone line (iem M-duo) and reconnected it. The sound was not there until I hit the back button a few times to get back to the main screen from the current track screen. Once the sound came back it was horribly distorted. like I had the volume and bass all the way up but the gain was low and the eq was set to off. Volume was set to 70. I have to put it at >50 to keep it from distorting. The iems were brand new and this was my first time testing them so I tried the same set up with my ath-m50x and had the same result. Using the x5ii set to line out it works great with headphones or car stereo. It has a transparent sound and keeps the track true to its original recording. The tracks I tested were in flac and mp3 format. I am convinced that either my dap is faulty or I have missed something in the settings. I will do a reset on the device then try again. The lag in the UI has to be fixed as well. For the price of the x5ii I can tolerate an UI such as this but not the lag in transitions. Not for $350. That's something i could understand in a $20 unit but not something rocking this kind of hardware. If anyone has any suggestions for me to try to fix the issue I would appreciate the gesture very much. Is there a specific folder layout to adhere to to keep the system from lagging while trying to find my music or album art? 

I had to return my X5 2nd Gen..Headphone jack issue. I found out about  the headphone out jack on Sunday, Amazon is shipping me a new one which be here in 2 days, on Tuesday. With a free return label, I am putting the defective unit in the box and returning it..Love the Amazon hassle free returns.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back