FiiO X5 2nd gen Impressions and Discussion thread
Jul 16, 2015 at 3:14 AM Post #2,671 of 7,088
  I'm more of a home stereo guy, but thought of technologies in portable nowadays could be good enough to have it as a source of my home hifi system.  True enough, I'm happy with the results of both the lineout to my home hifi and the headphone out to my Grado 325i and Sennheiser HD650.

What sort of home hifi system do you have and what are your speakers?

Jul 16, 2015 at 6:08 AM Post #2,673 of 7,088
OTG in the X5 II is not well implemented. I was able to get a 64GB OTG working, but my 256GB Lexar Thumbdrives were hopeless (after a lot of work with FiiO to try to get them working); the same setup that works perfectly with my X5 Gen One. FiiO admitted the X5 II OTG support is not as good as the X5 Gen One, so after a lot of trying my X5 II is unfortunately going back on an RMA. Good luck with your OTG, let me know if you have any luck.

Jul 16, 2015 at 6:34 AM Post #2,675 of 7,088
  OTG in the X5 II is not well implemented. I was able to get a 64GB OTG working, but my 256GB Lexar Thumbdrives were hopeless (after a lot of work with FiiO to try to get them working); the same setup that works perfectly with my X5 Gen One. FiiO admitted the X5 II OTG support is not as good as the X5 Gen One, so after a lot of trying my X5 II is unfortunately going back on an RMA. Good luck with your OTG, let me know if you have any luck.

I have a corsair slider 128gb and it works well with fat format. My 256gb corsair slider X1 NTSF format works if I reboot the player or sometimes just unplug and replug. Files are setup as 01-A 02-B and so on,artist, album,files

Jul 16, 2015 at 6:36 AM Post #2,676 of 7,088
Hi all,

Should the new X5 support non-Apple in-line earphone buttons? I've tried a few that I use ok with Apple devices, but none work with the FiiO. I'm not sure if there is a very specific requirement for compatibility. (This is my first FiiO so I'm still learning.)

I've tried:

MEElectronics M6 PRO Noise-Isolating Musician’s In-Ear Monitors
* FIDUE A73 2-Way Hybrid Sound Isolating Earphones

In system settings I have ensured that in-line support is on.

Before investigating further I considered updating to the latest firmware. But the update process continually fails across multiple microSD cards with "update file not found".
Even a 32Gb card, formatted on the FiiO, fails.

Jul 16, 2015 at 6:46 AM Post #2,678 of 7,088

Before investigating further I considered updating to the latest firmware. But the update process continually fails across multiple microSD cards with "update file not found".
Even a 32Gb card, formatted on the FiiO, fails.

This can be caused by unsupported files,or the way they are arranged. Artist folder-Album Name-Songs with Small art imbedded using MP3 tag, is the way I have mine.

Jul 16, 2015 at 6:53 AM Post #2,679 of 7,088
Okay - hopefully not too off topic but I have just bought a Fiio X5 2nd generation player and I am getting the following issue

128gb Sandisk card (formatted on the x5, verified as correct transfer rate and passes all tests) - when inserted into tf1 - occasionally 'loses' the card - when the player wakes up from sleep it gives message 'unable to browse to folder' or occasionally when using the player it will fail to browse to a directory. When the same card is inserted in TF2 it is absolutely fine - no issues reading data, no issues with the machine waking up - will play solidly for a week or more without any issue.

I have reformatted the card, I have tested the card in my original x5 (both sockets) and the card passes all tests as well as in a camera and 3 laptops - it was also used exclusively in my original x5 since new and has never once given an error. 

Now I have tried to get some sense from Fiio support but they are insistent that the player be sent back to the retailer and tested with another card.

Apart from wasting the retailers time - I am convinced that the issue is with the player and I have tested the card in many other devices as well as using card testing software. I believe that sending the player back for tests will prove nothing.

Anyone had similar issues with their player?

My troubleshooting logic tells me that the best test would be to try my card in another x5 2nd generation - introducing another variable (different card) doesn't really prove anything especially considering the card actually works faultlessly even in the second port on the same player.....

Any thoughts anyone?

Jul 16, 2015 at 7:12 AM Post #2,680 of 7,088
This can be caused by unsupported files,or the way they are arranged. Artist folder-Album Name-Songs with Small art imbedded using MP3 tag, is the way I have mine.

Interesting tip, thanks. Maybe things got messed up when I simply copyied all my music straight to the card.

So I just tried with a new, freshly reformatted card, but still have the same error. Does the FiiO have the concept of factory recovery? I tried the reset to defaults but maybe that just clears the user settings? Everything still works fine, except for firmware upgrade and online headphone buttons.

Jul 16, 2015 at 7:20 AM Post #2,681 of 7,088
Okay - hopefully not too off topic but I have just bought a Fiio X5 2nd generation player and I am getting the following issue

128gb Sandisk card (formatted on the x5, verified as correct transfer rate and passes all tests) - when inserted into tf1 - occasionally 'loses' the card - when the player wakes up from sleep it gives message 'unable to browse to folder' or occasionally when using the player it will fail to browse to a directory. When the same card is inserted in TF2 it is absolutely fine - no issues reading data, no issues with the machine waking up - will play solidly for a week or more without any issue.

I have reformatted the card, I have tested the card in my original x5 (both sockets) and the card passes all tests as well as in a camera and 3 laptops - it was also used exclusively in my original x5 since new and has never once given an error. 

Now I have tried to get some sense from Fiio support but they are insistent that the player be sent back to the retailer and tested with another card.

Apart from wasting the retailers time - I am convinced that the issue is with the player and I have tested the card in many other devices as well as using card testing software. I believe that sending the player back for tests will prove nothing.

Anyone had similar issues with their player?

My troubleshooting logic tells me that the best test would be to try my card in another x5 2nd generation - introducing another variable (different card) doesn't really prove anything especially considering the card actually works faultlessly even in the second port on the same player.....

Any thoughts anyone?

I'd go to the reseller and try your card in a different X5 II.............. Mine works without issue and the fact that card slot 2 is fine for you I'd think you should exchange it for a non-defective unit.

Jul 16, 2015 at 7:23 AM Post #2,682 of 7,088
Interesting tip, thanks. Maybe things got messed up when I simply copyied all my music straight to the card.

So I just tried with a new, freshly reformatted card, but still have the same error. Does the FiiO have the concept of factory recovery? I tried the reset to defaults but maybe that just clears the user settings? Everything still works fine, except for firmware upgrade and online headphone buttons.

Not sure about why the in line support isn't working if you have the option turned on. Are you expecting the volume to work or just Play/Pause, 2 click forward, 3 click back?

Did you unzip the x5ii.fw file. The file you download needs to unzipped and named explicitly x5ii.fw......... and placed at the root of the card in card slot 1, not in any folders. By the way, didn't your unit already come with FW 1.0?

Edit: I realize you formatted the card as FAT32 with the unit, but just so anyone else having issues the card must be FAT32 for firmware updates.

Jul 16, 2015 at 7:33 AM Post #2,683 of 7,088
Ok, I just tried it with some Apple ear pods (ugh!) and it worked straight away. I unplugged the ear pods while music was playing and after plugging them in again the in line controls did not work. I went in the Settings menu and toggled the in-line option off/on and the controls worked again.

Jul 16, 2015 at 8:55 AM Post #2,684 of 7,088
Not sure about why the in line support isn't working if you have the option turned on. Are you expecting the volume to work or just Play/Pause, 2 click forward, 3 click back?

Did you unzip the x5ii.fw file. The file you download needs to unzipped and named explicitly x5ii.fw......... and placed at the root of the card in card slot 1, not in any folders. By the way, didn't your unit already come with FW 1.0?

Edit: I realize you formatted the card as FAT32 with the unit, but just so anyone else having issues the card must be FAT32 for firmware updates.

Just looking to use the button to pause and skip songs. 

But I did have success with the update! Turns out I was using the X5 firmware file, not the X5ii, doh!

After the update, still no support for headphone controls. I'll try to find someone with genuine Apple headphones with buttons and see if they work (they should, right?) and if not it looks like the X5ii unit is faulty. :frowning2:

Jul 16, 2015 at 10:21 AM Post #2,685 of 7,088
Did my X5ii just crash??!? It suddenly switch to a blue screen with a list of what looks like registers. And I can't power it off now.

I done't have permissions to post pictures directly, but here's a link to some phots:

http://i.imgur.com/75t4Cdh.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/UsAal4x.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back