FiiO X5 2nd gen Impressions and Discussion thread
Jul 6, 2015 at 7:07 AM Post #2,281 of 7,088
Not sure as I switch between X5, DX90, Sonos multi-room, Oppo hifi playback and ipods in a Loghitech bath dock! But as a general rule of thumb I've found that everything you can do to un-apple-ifi the better!  Especially iTunes's contrived album art attached files. I've just found a way of using all files without any hiccups. Although my FLACs are backed up as ALAC and used in old iPods, but not for serious listening.
What software media player do you recommend for PC.? To keep this on topic I will be syncing the x5ii via drag and drop like an external hard drive lol.

Jul 6, 2015 at 7:09 AM Post #2,282 of 7,088
As far as formating goes, I use Guiformat http://www.ridgecrop.demon.co.uk/index.htm?guiformat.htm . Have 3- 128gb Sandisk and have no problems.I never use the palyers(X-3 &X5 ii)

As far as headphone I have the B&W P5-1 and the Oppo PM-3. The P5 are louder and more bass and highs and the Oppo PM-3s are more cleaner sounding. I like my P5s but the oppo is my first choice.

Jul 6, 2015 at 7:20 AM Post #2,283 of 7,088
Don't load your card up yet. It's been found from the beginning that formatting the card with the device itself (X1, X3, x3ii, X5, X5ii) is the best way to avoid issues with playback stemming from the card. Not all format software is created equal.

I format my SD cards for FiiO players with HPUSBDisk – no problems.

Jul 6, 2015 at 7:59 AM Post #2,284 of 7,088
The problem when not using the device to format is that a user may change settings like the allocation unit size that can hamper read speeds in exchange for a minimal gain in space. Before FiiO added the format tool in their players it was a gong show with users reporting constant issues. Once the format function was included issues dropped exponentially.

Of course if you know what your doing or found a format tool that works then all the power to you. :)

Jul 6, 2015 at 8:00 AM Post #2,285 of 7,088
What software media player do you recommend for PC.? To keep this on topic I will be syncing the x5ii via drag and drop like an external hard drive lol.

For quick simple playback of all music and video files, I use Media Player Classic. Free download, instant playing (when made default player), no rubbish library setup or any integration.

Jul 6, 2015 at 8:04 AM Post #2,286 of 7,088
svalentine, to answer your question earlier, yes the X5ii reads artist tags. Many users find it much easier to organize their music in alphabetical folder 'a-c', 'e-f', etc. and each folder have an artist folder followed by the album folder and just use browser playback. With the play through folders option enabled it is many users prefered way to access their music and saves on scrolling forever when browsing the Artist category.

Jul 6, 2015 at 8:04 AM Post #2,287 of 7,088
The problem when not using the device to format is that a user may change settings like the allocation unit size that can hamper read speeds in exchange for a minimal gain in space. Before FiiO added the format tool in their players it was a gong show with users reporting constant issues. Once the format function was included issues dropped exponentially.

Of course if you know what your doing or found a format tool that works then all the power to you. :)

Best thing Fiio did. If iBasso had done same, myself and many others could have saved months of frustration. Had scan question come up every DX90 switch-on even though it played fine. Multiple cards, formatting in many utilities and X5 format tried. Only sd-formatter cured problem.

Jul 6, 2015 at 9:33 AM Post #2,289 of 7,088
  When the X5 2nd gen is connected to the pc does it appear in Computer as separate drives for each SD card?

Yes.

Jul 6, 2015 at 9:37 AM Post #2,290 of 7,088
I'm reading many reviews of X5II but stuggle to find a mention if the mechanical external buttons are able to control the volume and skip (also fast forward) tracks when the screen is switched off.

Jul 6, 2015 at 9:57 AM Post #2,291 of 7,088
  I'm reading many reviews of X5II but stuggle to find a mention if the mechanical external buttons are able to control the volume and skip (also fast forward) tracks when the screen is switched off.

That's a function I've enjoyed, you can skip tracks using the volume while the screen is off, but I haven't tried fast forward as holding down the respective volume buttons is how you activate the skipping to and fro.  I have adjusted volume with the screen off as well.

Jul 6, 2015 at 10:04 AM Post #2,292 of 7,088

That's a function I've enjoyed, you can skip tracks using the volume while the screen is off, but I haven't tried fast forward as holding down the respective volume buttons is how you activate the skipping to and fro.  I have adjusted volume with the screen off as well.

Thank you for the answer. Do you mean the same buttons are used to skip tracks and adjust volume?

Jul 6, 2015 at 10:24 AM Post #2,294 of 7,088
  That is correct.  While the screen is off, the up and down volume buttons have the ability to skip tracks when being held down.  They retain the ability to adjust volume when pressed incrementally.

It's good to know. I'm reflecting about a purchase of an X5II. If it were unable to be controlled with switched off screen I considered it a deal-breaker.

One more question. Is it able to read 200 GB microSD cards or has it some software limitations up to 128 GB?

Jul 6, 2015 at 10:26 AM Post #2,295 of 7,088
There are in fact three lockscreen modes. Volume is always accessible. Lockscreen 2 adds pause and play, while Lockscreen 3 additionally allows for skipping with the dedicated buttons.

There's no known storage space limitation. 200 or 250 GB cards will most likely work, as well as 500 GB cards.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back