FiiO X5 2nd gen Impressions and Discussion thread
May 27, 2015 at 12:54 PM Post #827 of 7,088
Just received a review set of HD650s this morning, and the X5 2nd gen. drives them beautifully (good volume and SQ) at around 90/120 on high gain. Bags of room on volume if you want to drive them to ear-piercing levels. A very quick listen to check, and then back to work. More to come.

May 27, 2015 at 1:52 PM Post #829 of 7,088
Ah I think the Singapore guys will probably end up auditioning the X5ii in stores for the local arm of the world tour..

Sorry for the delay :eek:

The hardwarezone thread was indeed deleted :frowning2:

But they've opened application threads in two other places, hope one works for you (and hope applications are still open) :xf_eek:

http://forums.vr-zone.com/audiophile-s-htpc-corner/3247851-fiio-x5-second-generation-audition-tour-singapore.html#post14768945

http://www.xtremeplace.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=203295.0

Best regards,
Joe

Edit: checked the threads, seems like they would have done better to let us handle the applications here :cool: well, go get 'em :D

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
May 27, 2015 at 2:27 PM Post #830 of 7,088

How does the X3ii compare in driving the HD650s?

Don't have the X3ii at the office with me today, but will check when I get home.

May 27, 2015 at 2:36 PM Post #832 of 7,088
I've had the X5II for a while now and to me it's the best Fiio DAP so far. I never was too impressed with the other models (X3II was the best so far), but the X5II could maybe kick the DX90 of its throne. I said maybe
cool.gif

It's driving my LCD2 now in low gain without any issues.

May 27, 2015 at 2:41 PM Post #833 of 7,088
  I've had the X5II for a while now and to me it's the best Fiio DAP so far. I never was too impressed with the other models (X3II was the best so far), but the X5II could maybe kick the DX90 of its throne. I said maybe
cool.gif

I am happy to hear that you like it so much!

How is the presentation compared to the original x5, or the x3II>?

May 27, 2015 at 2:44 PM Post #834 of 7,088
For the first time with the Fiio DAPs I feel there's enough emotion in the music, it's more musical. At the same time the detail level is higher too.
I'm exagerating here of course but until now I found they had a flatter sound, the X5II is somehow more dimensional. If that makes sence 
biggrin.gif

Let the yelling at me begin
rolleyes.gif

May 27, 2015 at 2:55 PM Post #835 of 7,088
  For the first time with the Fiio DAPs I feel there's enough emotion in the music, it's more musical. At the same time the detail level is higher too.
I'm exagerating here of course but until now I found they had a flatter sound, the X5II is somehow more dimensional. If that makes sence 
biggrin.gif

Let the yelling at me begin
rolleyes.gif

Why yelling?...

I am most curious if these differences are consistent when you use it as a DAC to an amp compared to other Fiio products. I fount that adding E12A to the chain really made a difference in the senses you are talking about, so i wanted to know if x5II can make E12A even better
smily_headphones1.gif

May 27, 2015 at 3:12 PM Post #836 of 7,088
I am happy to hear that you like it so much!

How is the presentation compared to the original x5, or the x3II>?

Hi George, will be getting European tour X5ii in a week, will compare with X5 and through Hugo. Congrats on your ie800s :)

May 27, 2015 at 3:47 PM Post #837 of 7,088
Hi George, will be getting European tour X5ii in a week, will compare with X5 and through Hugo. Congrats on your ie800s :)

Thanks!

I hope that you will be pleased by x5II, it might proove even better for a transport for your Hugo, given that the buttons layout is easier to use while in pocket, and harder to press by mistake.

May 27, 2015 at 3:50 PM Post #838 of 7,088
  Why yelling?...

I am most curious if these differences are consistent when you use it as a DAC to an amp compared to other Fiio products. I fount that adding E12A to the chain really made a difference in the senses you are talking about, so i wanted to know if x5II can make E12A even better
smily_headphones1.gif

That will be the primary basis of my "review" because I pretty much run my X3ii and E12a together 100% of the time.  However, I am curious to hear how the X3ii compares with the X5ii without the E12a.  Who knows, based on what some of the reviewers have said so far it sounds like the X5ii has plenty of power to drive even higher impedance phones on it's own.  Actually I found that with the X3ii as well, but I do prefer the more authoritative control the E12a brings into the equation.

The other comparison I will perform is with the co-axial out into Bifrost Uber DAC and on to my Arcam Preamp/Amp home setup (as well as from the Bifrost into the Lake People G109S headphone amp).  The X3ii sounded pretty good but I'm hoping for even better with the X5ii.  If it's better I will be tempted to upgrade from my X3ii, that way I will be able to enjoy even better quality hi-rez on my 2 channel system.

Interesting to hear everyone's impressions but I hope to keep my assessment just that, my assessment.  At least it will have some break-in time by then.

May 27, 2015 at 3:56 PM Post #839 of 7,088
  That will be the primary basis of my "review" because I pretty much run my X3ii and E12a together 100% of the time.  However, I am curious to hear how the X3ii compares with the X5ii without the E12a.  Who knows, based on what some of the reviewers have said so far it sounds like the X5ii has plenty of power to drive even higher impedance phones on it's own.  Actually I found that with the X3ii as well, but I do prefer the more authoritative control the E12a brings into the equation.

Interesting to hear everyone's impressions but I simply want to do a head to head (with and without the E12a) and judge for myself.  I will patiently wait until it comes around to me in 5 or so weeks.  At least it will have some break-in time by then.

I think that I might get to buy it in two weeks depending on how fast it arrives in Romania to be sold. Mid june is the date for it, so I guess that I might be buying it before that. 

May 27, 2015 at 4:33 PM Post #840 of 7,088
I've had the X5II for a while now and to me it's the best Fiio DAP so far. I never was too impressed with the other models (X3II was the best so far), but the X5II could maybe kick the DX90 of its throne. I said maybe :cool:

LCD2 on low gain. Very interesting. They really must have upped the ante on the amp section. Are they driven well, or just loud?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back