FiiO X5 2nd gen Impressions and Discussion thread
Jul 10, 2016 at 12:03 PM Post #5,401 of 7,088
I am looking for a simple yet large capacity OTG solution.???

I've searched this thread but can't really see a definitive solution.

The X-5 II is an 11 pin Micro whilst most otg cables seem to be 5 or made for samsung phones 
confused.gif

Looking for about 250 GB or more of additional storage.

Would like an L shape cable so as not to extend the length for portable use as well a  stick drive that would connect securely and quickly for home use.

I am really enjoying this little guy but I am running out of space ( I still need to add all the Rolling Stones 96/24 albums and hi rez Led Zeppelin collection) 

Have it connected to my MSB power DAC and the sound is incredible. It's sound trounces my hi end CD player at a 10th of the price.

I am awaiting a cable to connect to my MOJO (TRRS to TSS)

If I can't get more memory, I might have to invest in the Onkyo DP-X1 with dual 200GB ( but that solution would run about $900 and would not add anything to sound quality as well as adding substantial size to my portable rig) 
eek.gif

What are you guys using???

Your opinions and input is appreciated !!! 

THANKS!

John 

Jul 10, 2016 at 4:26 PM Post #5,402 of 7,088
The X5ii accepts 200gb cards, no problem for 400gb of storage. OTG storage support has been dropped on the latest FW but you can easily load older FW that does have OTG storage support. OTG storage support has always been sketchy depending on the USB storage brand so I never really paid much attention to it, so that's basically the breadth of my help with OTG.

Jul 11, 2016 at 2:29 PM Post #5,404 of 7,088
I Purchased this samsung 256GB micro SD card from amazon https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01G7L03OS/

It was delivered today, so when I get home from work later tonight I'll test it with my X5II and let everyone know if it worked.

Jul 11, 2016 at 3:43 PM Post #5,405 of 7,088
Im considering buying Fiio x5 II. I auditioned the player today and i like what i heard. It sounds noticeably better, than x3II to me and even better, than Iriver Astell & Kern AK100 II. Only two players, that sounded better to me, was Fiio x7 and Astell & Kern AK120 II. But i have two concerns, which i want to ask about. First is the wheel - any problems with that? It felt a bit clunky and i read somebody complaining about it. Second concern is harshness on upper mids. It was especially noticeable on solo piano. Piano sounded very unnatural to me. Metallic, without body, thin, sparkly, more like electrical keyboards. X3 2nd sounds better with piano to me. But thats it. Otherwise x5II sounded better. So i would like to know, if it was just because of my headphones or if it is generally known about this player and if it got better with firmware updates? I listened it on 1.0. I remember, that with fiio x3 first gen, firmwares improved sound quality quite a bit.

Jul 11, 2016 at 4:13 PM Post #5,406 of 7,088
  I Purchased this samsung 256GB micro SD card from amazon https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01G7L03OS/

It was delivered today, so when I get home from work later tonight I'll test it with my X5II and let everyone know if it worked.

Nice

512 total would be awesome
Hope it works
then I'll wait for prices to come down a bit 
frown.gif

Jul 11, 2016 at 8:07 PM Post #5,407 of 7,088
  Im considering buying Fiio x5 II. I auditioned the player today and i like what i heard. It sounds noticeably better, than x3II to me and even better, than Iriver Astell & Kern AK100 II. Only two players, that sounded better to me, was Fiio x7 and Astell & Kern AK120 II. But i have two concerns, which i want to ask about. First is the wheel - any problems with that? It felt a bit clunky and i read somebody complaining about it. Second concern is harshness on upper mids. It was especially noticeable on solo piano. Piano sounded very unnatural to me. Metallic, without body, thin, sparkly, more like electrical keyboards. X3 2nd sounds better with piano to me. But thats it. Otherwise x5II sounded better. So i would like to know, if it was just because of my headphones or if it is generally known about this player and if it got better with firmware updates? I listened it on 1.0. I remember, that with fiio x3 first gen, firmwares improved sound quality quite a bit.

It's X5ii's signature. 

If you want a smoother DAP, X7 is the best I've tested to date! 

Jul 12, 2016 at 1:58 PM Post #5,409 of 7,088

Nice

512 total would be awesome
Hope it works
then I'll wait for prices to come down a bit 
frown.gif

I'm glad to report that the 256GB card is working fine in the X5. I formatted the card in the X5, loaded it up with music, scanned the library and played music and there have been no problems so far. Just so everyone knows, they are on sale today on amazon in the US for Prime Day for $169.99 and then another $30 off if you have an Amazon rewards Visa card: https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Select-Micro-Memory-256GB/dp/B01G7L03OS 

Jul 12, 2016 at 3:37 PM Post #5,410 of 7,088
  what about changes to sound with firmwares? does x5 sound different with latest firmware to stock x5?

Yes.
Some here prefer the latest sound while others don't.
In my opinion it's very small that I don't think I would even have noticed if I wasn't told.
I did think it made the sound a little smoother
However, my ears play a bigger factor in the fluctuating of SQ each day.

If I were you I would buy one and try the newer firmware and if you're still not happy reset the original and send it back.

About the wheel...the only time I feel it's kinda unstable is when you scroll really fast through a lot of files.

Jul 13, 2016 at 4:16 AM Post #5,411 of 7,088
  what about changes to sound with firmwares? does x5 sound different with latest firmware to stock x5?

vincik,  nope, we did not make any change to the sound in the latest firmware. 

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Jul 13, 2016 at 12:14 PM Post #5,412 of 7,088

vincik,  nope, we did not make any change to the sound in the latest firmware. 

???

Are you saying the added low pass filter settings (steep/gradual) don't change the sound?
If they don't...why were they added?

Jul 13, 2016 at 1:01 PM Post #5,413 of 7,088
he probably thought im asking about difference between the latest fw and the second latest... i wanted to know if there is any difference to sound between 1.0 and the latest one. Also im not saying that im not satisfied with it's sound. Im. It sounds better, than anything in the same price range and even better than some of the more expensive players from Astell Kern like JR and AK100ii. Im just a bit concerned about upper midrange. I tested the player with number of songs i know well and one piano song ( La Valse D'Amelie from Yann Tiersen) sounded quite harsh, ear piercing and fatiguing in higher frequency spectrum of the song (+- in 3kHz range of piano). X3ii didn't suffer with it near as much. I dont know if it's more my headphones (audio technica es10).. could be... but fiio x5ii definitely pronounced that much more, than other players. Anyway i will find out soon as im going to buy one tomorrow.

Jul 13, 2016 at 2:16 PM Post #5,414 of 7,088
  he probably thought im asking about difference between the latest fw and the second latest... i wanted to know if there is any difference to sound between 1.0 and the latest one. Also im not saying that im not satisfied with it's sound. Im. It sounds better, than anything in the same price range and even better than some of the more expensive players from Astell Kern like JR and AK100ii. Im just a bit concerned about upper midrange. I tested the player with number of songs i know well and one piano song ( La Valse D'Amelie from Yann Tiersen) sounded quite harsh, ear piercing and fatiguing in higher frequency spectrum of the song (+- in 3kHz range of piano). X3ii didn't suffer with it near as much. I dont know if it's more my headphones (audio technica es10).. could be... but fiio x5ii definitely pronounced that much more, than other players. Anyway i will find out soon as im going to buy one tomorrow.

Yes, that's how I interpreted the response too.

About the harshness with the X5ii on one instrument.
There are many factors involved.
I don't know anything about the headphones you have but if it only appears on one or two songs I would say it's the recording.
The better the equipment the more the flaws in recording and mastering are exposed as well as the brilliance.
This would explain why the X3 sounds better in this one instance.

The great thing about the X5ii is you can dial down the 1-2K region to lessen the sharpness.
My Pono can't do that.

Jul 13, 2016 at 2:59 PM Post #5,415 of 7,088
it really is the song! it never ocured me because i consider the album to be the good sounding one but now i noticed the same problem on my stereo amp and loudspeakers. If you want to know what im talking about, its this song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dyo4tNwNIvQ problematic passage starting rougly 1:15 ... it must be badly recorded or mastered because i heared this song live many times and piano shouldnt sound that aggressive in higher frequency spectrum. So here you go. Mastering engineer bad, Fiio good.

btw. Youtube version of the song has also some terrible noise artifacts that cd rip doesn´t have, but piano sounds same on both

Users who are viewing this thread

Back