FiiO X5 2nd gen Impressions and Discussion thread
Oct 3, 2015 at 5:06 PM Post #3,736 of 7,088
  No but I would:

1) Verify that you don't have a media player set to automatically sync when X5 connected
2) Navigate to SD card in Explorer (assuming Window don't know Mac) right click, go to Properties, Tools, then run Check Disk for errors.
3) Delete album folder if present
4) In X5 run manual update of media library.

Thanks. I'm not 100% sure if it was a sync problem, or disc errors, but I've managed to delete it now.

Oct 3, 2015 at 7:43 PM Post #3,737 of 7,088
just got my X5ii, upgrading from X3 first gen.

the positive:
the overall sound quality is greatly improved, especially the sound detail and clarity. also it's less warm, which suits me fine.
the interface is very nice, although it was ok for me on X3 too, since i only use folder mode
built quality is excellent

on then negative side of things:
i miss the hardware bass & treble adjustment. the equalizer doesn't really work for me..i find all the presets work far worse than they did on the X3.
with eq off, it sounds a too bright for my taste. i have to use a custom setting when i on't pair with the E12A ,but then i find the bass lacking a bit. i really hope Fiio improve the equalizer function in next firmware

the best result i get when i pair it with my E12A amp. with eq off,  the bass bost of E12A gives me just the right amount of extra bass i needed and the E12A amp implementation tones down the extra treble, giving a more laid back and natural tone. this works great for both my IEM and full size cans

so in all, i am very satisfied. another great product from Fiio

Oct 3, 2015 at 8:03 PM Post #3,738 of 7,088
just got my X5ii, upgrading from X3 first gen.

the positive:
the overall sound quality is greatly improved, especially the sound detail and clarity. also it's less warm, which suits me fine.
the interface is very nice, although it was ok for me on X3 too, since i only use folder mode
built quality is excellent

on then negative side of things:
i miss the hardware bass & treble adjustment. the equalizer doesn't really work for me..i find all the presets work far worse than they did on the X3.
with eq off, it sounds a too bright for my taste. i have to use a custom setting when i on't pair with the E12A ,but then i find the bass lacking a bit. i really hope Fiio improve the equalizer function in next firmware

the best result i get when i pair it with my E12A amp. with eq off,  the bass bost of E12A gives me just the right amount of extra bass i needed and the E12A amp implementation tones down the extra treble, giving a more laid back and natural tone. this works great for both my IEM and full size cans

so in all, i am very satisfied. another great product from Fiio

Re: EQ quality.

The EQ is implemented well. Keep in mind that by engaging the EQ the volume level is reduced by ~5db to avoid clipping the amp at loud volume settings, so in order to hear the same level you need to increase the volume by around 10-12 steps with EQ engaged depending on your listening level.

I invite you to do a comparison with all the sliders maximized against the EQ off and see if you can actually hear the difference. From there if you want more bass then you can reduce the treble to create a bass heavy curve. Or alternatively adjust your EQ as normal and increase volume to match the EQ off volume level. Personally I reduce from maximum the frequencies I want to hear less (EQ cutting) as it's easier to engage and switch EQ settings without fiddling with volume too much.

Edit: For example here's my EQ for the e12 bass boost. Not exactly accurate but close enough for me. From here it sounds very close to EQ off and I only need to bump the volume up a couple notches to get the same volume level in the mids and treble with an obvious boost in bass. I will agree with the fact that the hardware based bass/treble controls are nicer sounding for my ears coming from the original X3.

Oct 3, 2015 at 8:10 PM Post #3,739 of 7,088
Re: EQ quality.

The EQ is implemented well. Keep in mind that by engaging the EQ the volume level is reduced by ~5db to avoid clipping the amp at loud volume settings, so in order to hear the same level you need to increase the volume by around 10-12 steps with EQ engaged depending on your listening level.

I invite you to do a comparison with all the sliders maximized against the EQ off and see if you can actually hear the difference. From there if you want more bass then you can reduce the treble to create a bass heavy curve. Or alternatively adjust your EQ as normal and increase volume to match the EQ off volume level. Personally I reduce from maximum the frequencies I want to hear less (EQ cutting) as it's easier to engage and switch EQ settings without fiddling with volume too much.

hi, thanks for the answer. i know about the ~5db reducing, same was on my X3. and i do as you say, maximize the sliders and reduce till i get the sound i want. i just dont think it works that well, the sound still sounds too bright and not so bassy as i would like. but in any case, pairing with the E12A solves both problems for me.

and if i'm on the move and want to carry the DAP only, i can just switch tips on my IEM and put the comply foam tips, which both provide better seal (= more bass) and tame down a bit the treble.

the overall sound quality is the main criteria when getting a DAP and the X5ii provides a great sound by default. all other subjective sound aspects (little more bass here, less treble there etc) are things that can be easily tuned, like i mention above

edit: just saw the pic, it looks like the eq setting i have. this is a custom theme?

Oct 3, 2015 at 8:14 PM Post #3,740 of 7,088
hi, thanks for the answer. i know about the ~5db reducing, same was on my X3. and i do as you say, maximize the sliders and reduce till i get the sound i want. i just dont think it works that well, the sound still sounds too bright and not so bassy as i would like. but in any case, pairing with the E12A solves both problems for me.

Yeah, the original X3 has a nice smooth musicality to it and you really can't beat hardware based analogue bass/treble controls.

Oct 4, 2015 at 4:01 AM Post #3,741 of 7,088
Hi guys. This has probably been discussed earlier in the thread, I don't know how I'd find it, but I'm curious about the noise floor. I recently bought a set of Shure SE846 IEM's and I can hear the noise floor on my original X5 1st Gen very clearly. I've been looking at this because I love everything about the X5, except for the noise floor, and I'm curious if anyone else has very sensitive IEM's that would be able to describe how noticable the noise floor is (I'm only 22 and my hearing is in very good condition, for context, so I basically want it to be invisible if possible)

Oct 4, 2015 at 4:30 AM Post #3,742 of 7,088
  Hi guys. This has probably been discussed earlier in the thread, I don't know how I'd find it, but I'm curious about the noise floor. I recently bought a set of Shure SE846 IEM's and I can hear the noise floor on my original X5 1st Gen very clearly. I've been looking at this because I love everything about the X5, except for the noise floor, and I'm curious if anyone else has very sensitive IEM's that would be able to describe how noticable the noise floor is (I'm only 22 and my hearing is in very good condition, for context, so I basically want it to be invisible if possible)

well, i dont have the X5 gen1 to compare with, but i have the E12 which is known for noise and my Westone w40 are very sensitive to that. using the X5ii there's no noise i can detect, just like with the E12A

Oct 4, 2015 at 5:47 AM Post #3,743 of 7,088

I had some noise with X5 first gen, I use sennheiser ie8, ie800 and ultrasone dj one pro. I got noise on all of them. 

With X5II there is literally no noise at all with either of my headphones and IEMs. 

Oct 4, 2015 at 8:52 AM Post #3,744 of 7,088
Is the noise with the X5 on high or low gain? The X5 II has no noise/hiss with any of my IEM's. I hope you get it figured out...good luck.

Oct 4, 2015 at 1:12 PM Post #3,745 of 7,088
I have no noise at all with my Fidue A83, Vsonic GR07, and other generic earphones that I've tried.

One of the main reasons that I purchased this unit is because of the dead silent background. I was becoming far too annoyed at my DX50's hiss and loud popping sounds on startup. The X5II has none of this nonsense.

Oct 4, 2015 at 4:40 PM Post #3,746 of 7,088
Well, I have to agree with you about that. If they add a touchscreen, then a WiFi, then Bluetooth, etc... It's dangerous because it can become a smartphone, so it wouldn't focus on the sound aspect fully, as it is right now.

But you got to understand that that is not a touchscreen's fault. It's a FiiO's fault. It's the company the one that decides what to do with the hardware.

So, if they have their ideas and objectives clear, the touchscreen should only bring a much better experience. Those X5's buttons can't stand a single round vs a 5" touchscreen in that very same device. The UI is a million times better in touchable devices, in every single way: speed, clarity, graphics, usability. I'll only give you that it's solid quicker to pause the device with a central button or click a button to skip 1 song. But yo don't need at all speed when pausing your DAP. It doesn't matter if you pause it in 1 second or 2.5 seconds.

I'm pretty sure you all prefer a 5" touchscreen with its UI instead of a 2.5" screen with a sloppy UI controlled by 5 buttons.

GOD ALMIGHTY!  The X5I or II is what it is.  Quit assuming that we all must aggree with you.  I can't even do my own ATM banking anymore because of touchscreens.  The X5 was designed as it is.  The X7 is designed with a touchscreen.  Do you want to listen?  or look at the pretty interface.
Sorry if this post is a few days late, but I'm catching up and cannot read on without saying something. 

Oct 4, 2015 at 4:54 PM Post #3,747 of 7,088

GOD ALMIGHTY!  The X5I or II is what it is.  Quit assuming that we all must aggree with you.  I can't even do my own ATM banking anymore because of touchscreens.  The X5 was designed as it is.  The X7 is designed with a touchscreen.  Do you want to listen?  or look at the pretty interface.
Sorry if this post is a few days late, but I'm catching up and cannot read on without saying something. 

I want it all and

Touchscreen would be nice but not at the expense of SQ which is the only reason I bought the X5 in 1st place ....

Oct 5, 2015 at 7:15 AM Post #3,748 of 7,088
  OK, sorry, but clearly you are almost all close-minded. I can't argue with that kind of people.

How can this DAP be already perfect for you?
That means you have no criteria at all, whatever it is, it's perfect. It's completely impossible that you all like the size of the screen, the buttons, the way the UI works...

Obviously it should cost more if it comes with a 5" touchscreen, WiFi, kind-of Android... You add that, and it should go from $350 to $450 and not much more, $700 like the X7 is just nuts (keeping the rest of the hardware the same).

My smartphone costs $150 and its touchscreen is so responsive, it can handle everything and it's powerful enough to play any kind of game or app that is not ultra-resource eater. And that's $150. It can support 64GB microSD, it can call, speakers, 8MPx camera, Flash, it has 3G, full Android, WiFi, Bluetooth 4.0, NFC... So I'm so generous considering its enhanced version a $450 DAP.

WiFi is not unnecessary, neither Android. For example, I would prefer to watch all my YouTube feeds (mainly musicians playing live, but also high quality audio videos) through this device instead of my smartphone. Android gives you a lot of customization, that's never ever unnecessary, if you're open-minded.

If it gets a touchscreen, it has these 2 options:
1. Cost $350 and make the audiophile features worse
2. Cost more and keep the audiophile features as they are.

Also, you're not getting it. I always listen to full albums, and I don't skip tracks. So I also have plenty of the time the screen off. BUT the thing is HOW you get to the album you want, what happens when you want to listen to a concrete song, and that's what you're all missing. With a touchscreen, you can do any kind of task way faster than with 5 buttons. Sort the playlist, edit lyrics, edit tags, you name it.

You don't want infinite possibilities...
So you don't need an IPS screen, right?
You neither want 400x360 pixels, that is too much pixels and have no impact in the sound, you neither want it to weight just 165g, this is not an iPod Shuffle, etc...

Anyway, if it's perfect as it is, you should not care about what other people request for future versions of the FiiO X5, cause you've found your perfect device right there. Meanwhile, I will keep saying that it really needs a touchscreen that is as big as the device, a completely refreshed UI, and if possible and keeping the price below $500, it should have Android and WiFi.

Why do you insist on flaming everyone else on this thread?  I find your posts condecending  and somewhat abusive.  I choose to 'not get it'.  If you want to force a change on the X5, then build one yourself and leav us be.  If you want the features you go on about, then stick to your phone.  This product is NOT what you want.

Oct 5, 2015 at 8:07 AM Post #3,749 of 7,088
«No touch-screen» is my primary criterion for a DAP. I use it for jogging (in the warm season) or have it in my pocket (in the colder season), so want to be able to operate it blindly. I'm glad FiiO doesn't go the touch-screen route, unlike many others.

Oct 5, 2015 at 9:57 AM Post #3,750 of 7,088
Sorry for my first post being bitching and perhaps I missed out on reading that here, but did anyone write anything about the heat development of that bugger? I find it awkward to have such a "nuclear reactorr" in my pocket, not to mention the constant fear it might damage itself by overheating. Is it just the one I got?
Also: 10 hrs run time? Seriously? No,  I mean: seriously?  My Ipod Classic can go almost 3x as long
I am far from being impressed. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back