FiiO X5 2nd gen Impressions and Discussion thread
Sep 8, 2015 at 9:17 AM Post #3,512 of 7,088
It's the over protective windows **** ! You need to look for answers for how to make windows (10 for me) accept unknown sources.
I don't remember the process but it worked fine. The microsoft community is usually a good start.

Sep 8, 2015 at 9:28 AM Post #3,514 of 7,088
  It's the over protective windows **** ! You need to look for answers for how to make windows (10 for me) accept unknown sources.
I don't remember the process but it worked fine. The microsoft community is usually a good start.

All I can say is ( for someone whom is not computer savvy ! ) what a pain !!! Thank you for the advice though. 

Sep 8, 2015 at 9:50 AM Post #3,516 of 7,088
While I'm contemplating which new headphones to buy.....I've been trying to update the firmware, downloaded from the Fiio website, but Windows does not recognise the file, or what created it.
Can anyone help please ?

Is this the file you downloaded?
https://www.dropbox.com/s/czm51k2rdywrt5f/X5%202nd%20gen%20FW1.1.zip?dl=0

Is it that you've decompressed the zip file provided and you see a file of unrecognized file type called "X5II" ? If so, you just need to drag this file to the SD card in the 1st (left) slot of the X5 to start the update process. Here's the info from the readme file in the zip:

Abridged instructions for upgrading the X5's firmware
1. Extract and copy X5II.fw to the root directory of an µSD card on THE LEFT µSD SLOT (slot 1) of the X5 formatted in FAT32.*
2. Power off the X5 and make sure that the X5 is adequately charged before attempting to update.
3. Hold the upper left button of the X keygroup while pressing the power button to begin the update process. (you may release the buttons when the update dialog shows)
4. After the update is complete, you will be prompted again for your preferred interface language on first startup. Afterwards it is recommended to update the media library again (if you browse by category)

*To obtain a card formatted in FAT32 (if the card is not already in FAT32 format) simply format the card within the X5 itself. Go to System Settings (cog symbol)->format, select the slot in which the card to be formatted resides, press OK to format the card.
WARNING: all data would be deleted so please back up your files to your computer first if card formatting is required.

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Sep 8, 2015 at 10:30 AM Post #3,517 of 7,088
Is this the file you downloaded?
https://www.dropbox.com/s/czm51k2rdywrt5f/X5%202nd%20gen%20FW1.1.zip?dl=0

Is it that you've decompressed the zip file provided and you see a file of unrecognized file type called "X5II" ? If so, you just need to drag this file to the SD card in the 1st (left) slot of the X5 to start the update process. Here's the info from the readme file in the zip:

Yes Joe, that is the download, which when I right click on X5II.fw it gives me the option to open, cut, copy, e.t.c.
When I click to open, Windows says it doesn't recognise the file. You have to excuse me, I'm not at all computer savvy & I suffer from a condition that impairs cognitive function ! ( So even what seems the simplest instruction, can be complex to me. ) 

Sep 8, 2015 at 10:43 AM Post #3,518 of 7,088
  Yes Joe, that is the download, which when I right click on X5II.fw it gives me the option to open, cut, copy, e.t.c.
When I click to open, Windows says it doesn't recognise the file. You have to excuse me, I'm not at all computer savvy & I suffer from a condition that impairs cognitive function ! ( So even what seems the simplest instruction, can be complex to me. ) 

Hi Rob,

You don't actually need to open the file.  You simply have to copy the X5II.fw file onto the TF1 card on the player.  With the file copied to the card in your player you can then perform the firmware update process that Joe listed above.

Hope this helps.  Let us know if you need further assistance or have more questions.

Sep 8, 2015 at 11:07 AM Post #3,519 of 7,088
  Hi Rob,

You don't actually need to open the file.  You simply have to copy the X5II.fw file onto the TF1 card on the player.  With the file copied to the card in your player you can then perform the firmware update process that Joe listed above.

Hope this helps.  Let us know if you need further assistance or have more questions.

Thank you El Zilcho, you're always so helpful. How do I copy, in simple terms what is the process ?

Sep 8, 2015 at 11:15 AM Post #3,520 of 7,088

Thank you El Zilcho, you're always so helpful. How do I copy, in simple terms what is the process ?

★Choose a TF card (Micro SD Card) with FAT32 file system. If the update process fails, pls change to use a blank TF card with capacity under 32GB, and directly format it by X5 2nd gen before the upgrade again.
★ The original file data in the TF card will not be corrupted when upgrading.
★Ensure that the X5 2nd gen is sufficiently charged (preferably fully charged) before the upgrade to prevent power failure during upgrade.
Methods to Upgrading via TF card:
1. Choose a card with FAT32 file system.
2. Unzip the firmware upgrade package from FiiO and copy the X5II.fw file within to the root directory of the TF card.
3. Turn off the X5 2nd gen and insert the card into the left TF slot.
4. Hold the “Shortcuts” key (the key to the upper left of the scroll wheel) and then press the “Power / Lock” button to turn on the X5 2nd gen.  The following firmware upgrade dialog will appear.

★Do not press buttons or turn the dial on the X5 2nd gen while the upgrade is in progress.
5. When the firmware upgrade is complete, the X5 2nd gen will restart automatically.
★Please delete the X5II.fw file from the TF card after the update is complete.
★Please update the media library again after the firmware update.

Source: http://www.fiio.me/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=40479

Just follow the above steps accordingly.

Sep 8, 2015 at 11:21 AM Post #3,521 of 7,088
Hey Rob,

If you right click on X5II.fw and click "copy", you just need to then find the micro SD card for your X5, double-click it (to open it), then right click on an empty part of the drive and click "paste". Tell me if you have any trouble.

:beerchug:
Joe

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Sep 8, 2015 at 12:00 PM Post #3,522 of 7,088
Thank you both, for your detailed replies.

Joe, I have clicked "copy" more than once, but I'm not sure what's happened after that ?? Leave me to fiddle for awhile, and i'll get back to you.
If I get any further, how much space do I need on the card ?

Sep 8, 2015 at 12:07 PM Post #3,523 of 7,088
  Thank you both, for your detailed replies.

Joe, I have clicked "copy" more than once, but I'm not sure what's happened after that ?? Leave me to fiddle for awhile, and i'll get back to you.
If I get any further, how much space do I need on the card ?

I'd have to double check when I get home, but I don't believe you need very much space on the card (No more than 20-60 Mb I believe).  Once you click "copy" the computer will make a copy of the file in the background, nothing visually will happen.

With the X5ii connected to the computer in USB mode the TF1 and TF2 (if you have two micro SD cards installed in your player) will show up in the Windows explorer window.  If you click on TF1 it should open the contents in the right side of the window.  Right click in an empty space in the right side of the window (don't right click on any of the files or folders listed, but in an empty space between them somewhere), and in the menu that appears when you right click choose "paste".  Once you do this, the X5II.fw file should appear in the list of files and folders in TF1.

Once that is complete you are ready to update the firmware on the player.

Good luck, let us know if you still need help.

Sep 8, 2015 at 12:14 PM Post #3,524 of 7,088
Thank you El, i'll attempt after teatime. ( if I can remove my headphones !
bigsmile_face.gif
 ) Thanks again for your help & patience.

Sep 8, 2015 at 4:28 PM Post #3,525 of 7,088

(don't right click on any of the files or folders listed, but in an empty space between them somewhere), and in the menu that appears when you right click choose "paste".  Once you do this, the X5II.fw file should appear in the list of files and folders in TF1.

Sorry El, but I've just followed the paste process, and a green bar appeared, which completed. Should it then display on my TF1 card, because I can't see it listed on there ?
It's a little late & my fatigue is kicking in more, so please excuse me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back