FiiO X5 2nd gen Impressions and Discussion thread
Jun 28, 2015 at 2:29 PM Post #2,116 of 7,088

I bought my wife the X1 along with some nice IEM's so I've had a chance to listen to it for a couple/few hours every once in a while. I really like the UI and it's a HUGE step up from DAP like the Sansa Clip, but it sounds thin and closed in compared to the X5 & X5 II in my opinion. Keep in mind that the X5 & X5 II cost 3 times as much as the X1 so that doesn't mean that the X1 isn't the best sounding player at its price point. 

If I wanted a DAP in the $100 range I'd buy the X1 in a heartbeat and would simply enjoy my music

That's exactly what I'm doing with the X1 at this very moment!
beerchug.gif

Jun 28, 2015 at 2:58 PM Post #2,117 of 7,088
  Let's skip right over the X3II to ask any of you X1 owners, how do you compare sound quality between the X1 and X5II?

(Subjective I know, but still curious about hearing different feedback)

Why am I in this thread??? Let go of my wallet, I hate this site!
angry_face.gif

lol

I'd agree with @KLJTech - for $100 you're not going to really get any better.

I'd categorise the main differences as the X1 being warmer, and more congested in the upper mid-range. Keep in mind that the X1 is under 2 ohms outout impedance from the H/O - whereas the X5s are about 0.2.  So if you have sensitive low very impedance earphones, prone to hiss and/or impedance swings - that is where the X5/X5ii might eb more beneficial.

Jun 28, 2015 at 3:29 PM Post #2,118 of 7,088

I'd agree with @KLJTech - for $100 you're not going to really get any better.

I'd categorise the main differences as the X1 being warmer, and more congested in the upper mid-range. Keep in mind that the X1 is under 2 ohms outout impedance from the H/O - whereas the X5s are about 0.2.  So if you have sensitive low very impedance earphones, prone to hiss and/or impedance swings - that is where the X5/X5ii might eb more beneficial.

I never use IEM's, always full sized or on ear HP's.

I tried the X3II as well, but as you guys mentioned the X1 is perfect for just enjoying music.

Jun 28, 2015 at 3:42 PM Post #2,119 of 7,088

I never use IEM's, always full sized or on ear HP's.

I tried the X3II as well, but as you guys mentioned the X1 is perfect for just enjoying music.

X5II also has DAC mode, 2 microsd slots, a better line out.

You should consider that X1 is the perfect under 150$ dap. X5II is the perfect under 450$ dap from a balanced point of view. 

But just to enjoy music, if the headphones are not hard to drive, X1 is great!

Jun 28, 2015 at 3:59 PM Post #2,120 of 7,088
  X5II also has DAC mode, 2 microsd slots, a better line out.

You should consider that X1 is the perfect under 150$ dap. X5II is the perfect under 450$ dap from a balanced point of view. 

But just to enjoy music, if the headphones are not hard to drive, X1 is great!

A better line out? How so? Interesting, as I thought once a line out is connected to another source it's all the same after that.

Jun 28, 2015 at 4:04 PM Post #2,121 of 7,088
  A better line out? How so? Interesting, as I thought once a line out is connected to another source it's all the same after that.

The quality of a line out is defined by the DAC and the following amplification stage. So line outputs don't sound the same.

Jun 28, 2015 at 4:33 PM Post #2,123 of 7,088
I see the x5 2nd gen is available in nz now.
$549 which is a bit more than the original-$459.
Hopefully it'll come down a bit and be closer to the X5 in price.
$90 is a bit more than i would've thought it'd be.

Jun 28, 2015 at 4:41 PM Post #2,124 of 7,088
I've just got some new Earsonics SM64's, which I will be using with my Cowon J3 for now, but want to know whether the Fiio X5 V2 would be a decent upgrade to the Cowon, with regards the sound quality?

I know the UI and battery life would be worse, but I've been out of the market for a few years and would appreciate some advice.

Cheers

Jun 28, 2015 at 4:47 PM Post #2,125 of 7,088
  I've just got some new Earsonics SM64's, which I will be using with my Cowon J3 for now, but want to know whether the Fiio X5 V2 would be a decent upgrade to the Cowon, with regards the sound quality?

I know the UI and battery life would be worse, but I've been out of the market for a few years and would appreciate some advice.

Cheers

Battery life will be better, at least it was for me. SQ will be a blast in comparation. I mean, it really sounds better than J3 after using all the possible enhancements, with X5 using only the EQ function in a good manner. 

Jun 28, 2015 at 9:43 PM Post #2,126 of 7,088
  @JamesFiiO, All I have are AIFF files and I can play them on X5ii browsing by folders but according X5ii wen I go to Album, Artist, Genre or even All songs I don't have any music files, so how complete is the AIFF support on X5ii?

Thanks.

I also only use AIFF files on my X5ii. If you don't have "Update Media Lib" set to "Auto" you need to do a manual update. Then you will see Album, Artist, Genre and All songs as long as that data is in the AIFF files.

Jun 29, 2015 at 11:21 AM Post #2,127 of 7,088

Hi,

Just received my X5 II, charging it up now.

The MicroSD slots, can you insert and remove cards, while the unit is powered up?

Or is it recommended to power off, prior to inserting/removing MicroSD cards?

Thanks,

Shannon

Jun 29, 2015 at 12:58 PM Post #2,129 of 7,088
Haha indeed :cry::cry: but on the bright side it works perfectly still. And it's a huge improvement on my Cowon.
Hehe indeed. I would be surprised if they would help my clumsiness... @Joe Bloggs @JamesFiiO can u help me out? :disappointed_relieved:

Which Cowon DAP did you replace with the X5II?

I am going to replace my J3 with an X5II and would like to know if the improvement is significant.
Thank You!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back