FiiO X3 mod - AD8397 to AD8620
Oct 25, 2013 at 7:14 AM Post #137 of 263

100% not, the one that you have listed is in 16qfp packacge. Pin wise one you need is 8-SOIC

Sorry - probably sent that too quickly. This is it mounted on an adaptor inside my D10 (with class A mod).
Ill do a bit more hunting for specs...

Edit - right so im an idiot. Had a missing zero. Here are the specs:

http://www.intersil.com/en/products/amplifiers-and-buffers/all-amplifiers/amplifiers/ISL55002.html

Oct 27, 2013 at 5:10 PM Post #138 of 263
hello guys
from what I understood, dac buffer opamp is in a single supply design. Am I right?
Does someone know why? could not they use negative rail of ad8387 also for the buffer opamp?
I think ad8692 is a very low quality chip, and it's the bottleneck of the player.
what do you think about it?

Oct 27, 2013 at 7:23 PM Post #139 of 263
  hello guys
from what I understood, dac buffer opamp is in a single supply design. Am I right?
Does someone know why? could not they use negative rail of ad8387 also for the buffer opamp?
I think ad8692 is a very low quality chip, and it's the bottleneck of the player.

You are right - it is single supply op-amp. I didn't want to risk and connecting the -/+5.5V rail to it.

Any suggestions regarding which chip could we use? I was thinking of ADA4841-2 or ADA4896-2, but I don't have any experience with them. Which op-amp could be suitable that is considered as good for audio and DAC buffer?

Oct 27, 2013 at 7:44 PM Post #140 of 263

You are right - it is single supply op-amp. I didn't want to risk and connecting the -/+5.5V rail to it.

Any suggestions regarding which chip could we use? I was thinking of ADA4841-2 or ADA4896-2, but I don't have any experience with them. Which op-amp could be suitable that is considered as good for audio and DAC buffer?

I checked in the data scheet. AD8692 does not accept negative voltage rail. I think that the only way to make a real improvement on  sonic performance is changing this opamp with an audio grade opamp and give it negative supply through a hard wire. Also a cap should be used near the opamp pin. But this is sci-fi for me.

Oct 27, 2013 at 10:05 PM Post #141 of 263
hello ad8692 is a very low quality chip, and it's the bottleneck of the player.

Why do you think that? Because it says 'low cost' in the datasheet?

The 8692 is a high performance, single-supply device, intended for portable audio devices.

If you guys don't understand that cost and performance aren't synonymous, then it won't be any surprise to the rest of us when you end up breaking your DAPs.

Wiring in a dual-rail device and wiring in a negative supply will have unknown consequences in terms of the output DC offset of the DAC section without detailed knowledge of the circuit. This will have an unknown knock-on effect on the amplifier section. A single-rail supply device has been employed for some reason when a dual-rail supply was available. The DAC output is almost certainly a current one, and the opamp is being used for I-V conversion. Current-output DACs frequently have a DC output offset to keep the (dual-rail) opamp working in class A, but this may not have been considered desirable in a battery-powered device because of the drain on the battery, or there may have been some other reason, but whatever it is, you don't know.

Get a grip, and don't mess with what you don't understand.

w

Oct 27, 2013 at 10:20 PM Post #142 of 263
The 8692 is a high performance, single-supply device, intended for portable audio devices.

If you guys don't understand that cost and performance aren't synonymous, then it won't be any surprise to the rest of us when you end up breaking your DAPs.

w

Great advice, leave all learning and experimenting because we don't understand. Sorry, I wasn't born with this great knowledge so I need to learn if I want to know. And I'm learning by reading, asking questions and experimenting. And I'm experimenting on stuff that I own, if I'll break it - well life is hard but one needs to break some eggs to make an omelette.

Get a grip and share some of your great knowledge instead of criticise and patronise other members.

Oct 28, 2013 at 1:30 AM Post #143 of 263
Great advice, leave all learning and experimenting because we don't understand. Sorry, I wasn't born with this great knowledge so I need to learn if I want to know. And I'm learning by reading, asking questions and experimenting. And I'm experimenting on stuff that I own, if I'll break it - well life is hard but one needs to break some eggs to make an omelette.

Get a grip and share some of your great knowledge instead of criticise and patronise other members.

If you think that gets it then you obviously haven't read my other contributions to this thread.

w

Oct 28, 2013 at 3:12 AM Post #145 of 263
Changing the AD8397 should have more influence than changing DAC output opamp (AD8692) I would think. 

You could ask James at Fiio, he responds quite fast to questions.

Oct 28, 2013 at 5:05 AM Post #146 of 263
Why do you think that? Because it says 'low cost' in the datasheet?

Wiring in a dual-rail device and wiring in a negative supply will have unknown consequences in terms of the output DC offset of the DAC section without detailed knowledge of the circuit. This will have an unknown knock-on effect on the amplifier section. A single-rail supply device has been employed for some reason when a dual-rail supply was available. The DAC output is almost certainly a current one, and the opamp is being used for I-V conversion. Current-output DACs frequently have a DC output offset to keep the (dual-rail) opamp working in class A, but this may not have been considered desirable in a battery-powered device because of the drain on the battery, or there may have been some other reason, but whatever it is, you don't know.

w ,

I think it not for datasheet low cost indication. The reason is that when I use the DAP from line output, I notice a harshness and a grain in the treble that can't be attributed to wolfson wm8740. (I know there are a lot of other possible reasons for this, but buffer opamp appear to be the most probable)

WM8740 is a voltage output dac.
I believe single supply op amp was chosen to keep low the power consumption, but if there is any reason would be nice to know.
I'm always ready to learn; maybe my poor mastery of english language gave you a different impression, but when I wrote "what do you think about", I really wanted to know your thought about it. A little less arrogance from your side would have been great.
Said this, unless James fiio say to me " change that opamp, it was placed there only for long battery life", I'd never open my x3

Oct 28, 2013 at 12:06 PM Post #147 of 263
  Changing the AD8397 should have more influence than changing DAC output opamp (AD8692) I would think. 

You could ask James at Fiio, he responds quite fast to questions.

You are right it does affects the sound more than DAC output, but changing the ad8692 does change the signature of the DAP significantly. I was able to say straight away that there is something different, better or worse (tried 3 or 4 differents chips already).

I'm not going to mod anymore until someone more experienced could advise in polite way what are good candidates for the DAC output op-amp.

Oct 28, 2013 at 1:47 PM Post #148 of 263
I just checked and my iBasso D4 uses AD8616 as DAC output opamp. It works single supply 2.7V to 5V and is a CMOS rail-to-rail opamp, just like the AD8692.
AD8066 is a FET opamp.
iBasso D4 has dual DACs though.
You should be carefull since clipping can occur at the DAC output when you swap the opamp. I have no idea about the signal that the DAC puts out, safest is to ask Fiio directly.

Oct 28, 2013 at 5:07 PM Post #149 of 263
So sorry to trample on your delicate sensitivities. My advice, grow a thicker skin and just push ahead with the 'experiment' next time without asking. Wire in a dual-rail opamp, after all the worst that it can cost you is the price of a new X3...   
smile.gif

w

Oct 30, 2013 at 1:17 PM Post #150 of 263
  So sorry to trample on your delicate sensitivities. My advice, grow a thicker skin and just push ahead with the 'experiment' next time without asking. Wire in a dual-rail opamp, after all the worst that it can cost you is the price of a new X3...   
smile.gif

Or the price of whatever headphone that you choose to test the sound with. 
very_evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back