[FiiO UTWS5] True Wireless Bluetooth Earhooks as Usual,Coupled with Independent AK4332 DAC
Jul 8, 2023 at 8:10 AM Post #2,251 of 2,559
The actual truth is that QCC514x are used in both, and vendors can only do much with it. And obviously both FiiO and iFi cannot "fix" the fact that some phone manufacturers (Samsung being one of them) remove via software (sic!) some hardware-supported SoC features.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jul 8, 2023 at 8:33 AM Post #2,253 of 2,559
Can you clarify on samsung remove some features?
Sure. Assuming you have Snapdragon SoC (855 or newer, otherwise this wasn't there in the first place), go to "Developer options", scroll down to "Bluetooth Audio Codec" option. Do you see "aptX Adaptive" there? No? Well, Samsung removed it (this is not the only thing they removed, but the most visual one).
That's actually the reason why 990 kbps doesn't reliably work on Samsung phones.

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2023 at 4:19 AM Post #2,254 of 2,559
http://fiio-firmware.fiio.net/UTWS5/UTWS5_dfu_v1.73.bin

It hasn't been released directly by Fiio yet, so I can't be sure it's a safe firmware.
However, in my case, it solved the problem of connecting to my smartphone when fully charged.

The issues that are not yet resolved are

1. the ambient sound is still very tinny compared to the 1.5 version. It has been increased to 16 steps, but even at the maximum of 16, it still feels about 4 times the volume of the 1.5 version.

2. battery protection still doesn't work past 85%, the good news is that it stops after about 88-89% charge.

3. sometimes when I put the unit in the case, it doesn't immediately recognize the charge. This was also a problem in 1.5. Honestly, I don't think a firmware upgrade will fix it.

Issues 1 and 2 aren't fatal for me, so I'll be using 1.73 for a while.

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2023 at 6:08 AM Post #2,255 of 2,559
I have 2 UTWS5, one connected to an Avalon IMR and another to a Dunu SA6 MKII

I just updated the avalon to version 1.73 first, everything is correct.

Then I update the Dunu SA6 and while it is updating, the Avalon that is in its box just updated, does nothing but connect and disconnect.

I have opened the box, I have pressed them against the contacts and I have closed them again, it seems that at the moment they have not connected again, at least in the last two minutes, is it possible that I had placed them wrong in the box? We may wait and see.

It has reconnected, I think it is now worse than before :)

On the other hand, with the Dunu SA6, it doesn't happen...

Still, I think that's not the worst thing for me.

The worst thing is that since the update to 1.71 when I put the hooks in the box the R side gets turned off. when I reconnect them, the R side has turned off and the L side has dropped a lot of battery, so when the R side is turned on, it is at 100% but the L side is much lower, and not only that, but it also stops. runs out very fast.

This happens to me much more and in a more pronounced way with the UTWS5 connected to the Avalon than with the one connected to the Dunu SA6.

Could it be in bad shape?

I'm going to swap the connected iems and see what happens, I'll keep this firm for a couple more days but if that's the case I'll go back to 1.5. or 1.4 at least with one of the two.

With LHDC at 1.4 it sounded great.

The volume thing, in principle it doesn't bother me, I don't usually turn the volume up that much.

PS: I have put both to load and they keep connecting and disconnecting both.

As soon as I stopped charging them they disconnected from the phone, but they keep reconnecting after a while.

At first, this new firmware doesn't solve anything but adds new problems, so I'm not going to wait, I'm going back to the old firmware, I think that 1.4 was the one that sounded best with the LHDC.

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2023 at 6:29 AM Post #2,257 of 2,559
I had several issues with the first gen units (not charging, random connections when in the case, worn out pins.. to name a few) it was replaced under warranty with the updated charging pins (two at the bottom one at the top). I upgraded the firmware last Friday and have been using the UTWS (v2) since with no issues. They connect to the last device used when I take them out of the case and disconnect as soon as they are put back in. (Battery saving off).
Could it be a first gen hardware issue? Or maybe a battery saving glitch? my replacement units are only 2 moths old so, age and pin wear could be an issue too.
For me (so far) it seems it was a firmware code error.

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2023 at 5:42 PM Post #2,258 of 2,559
Update on new 1.7.3 firmware: the battery still depleted when in the case (as it turn on and connect to phone). At this rate, I think this is hardware issue and is not solvable by software part

Did you do a reset (hold button on case for about 12 seconds while earhooks are in case), unpair/re-pair to your device, etc? AFTER the firmware update?

Mines been pretty rock solid so far but only after I did a reset (simply upgrading to the new firmware didn't seem to be enough I guess).

Still wary on whether it's fixed or not but it's been a couple days now without issue.

This morning I had the UTWS5 charging on a wireless charging pad while I listened to a bluetooth speaker in the shower (this normally always resulted in the UTWS5 suddenly connecting to my phone and stealing the connection from the bluetooth speaker) but today it was fine! Hopefully remains that way.

Jul 11, 2023 at 7:02 PM Post #2,259 of 2,559
Unintended connecting while UTWS5 should be off inside of the case still happens on 1.73.

Hopped in my truck after work and was listening to music via Bluetooth and the UTWS5 in my pocket connected to my phone and stole the connection. Only way to get it to stop pausing my music on the truck was to open the UTWS5 lid and close it back up.

Maybe the hinge mechanism on these cases are just crap and sometimes don't tell the UTWS5 to power off or something...

Jul 12, 2023 at 4:15 AM Post #2,260 of 2,559
Unintended connecting while UTWS5 should be off inside of the case still happens on 1.73.

Hopped in my truck after work and was listening to music via Bluetooth and the UTWS5 in my pocket connected to my phone and stole the connection. Only way to get it to stop pausing my music on the truck was to open the UTWS5 lid and close it back up.

Maybe the hinge mechanism on these cases are just crap and sometimes don't tell the UTWS5 to power off or something...
I am sorry to hear that. I have not experienced any issues since the firmware was installed. Even out of the case, if I switch them off they stay off, no connections until I switch them back on.
Maybe the case opened a little in your pocket, perhaps enough to slightly dislodge one hook out of the charging pins?
When I open the case, they connect as soon as they loose contact with the charging pins. .

Jul 13, 2023 at 3:04 AM Post #2,261 of 2,559
Update on new 1.7.3 firmware: the battery still depleted when in the case (as it turn on and connect to phone). At this rate, I think this is hardware issue and is not solvable by software part
Dear friend,

Does the earplugs connect to your mobile phone when in the closed case? Can the earplugs be charged by the charging case correctly at that time?
If the issue remains, please contact support@fiio.com with the SN codec attached. Thanks in advance!

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Jul 13, 2023 at 3:05 AM Post #2,262 of 2,559
do you know why the firmware version appears half (cut off) on my phone? Any way I can fix this, please? I keep my phone to its default settings.
Dear friend,

You could check whether the font size is set to big size in your mobile phone? We have also reported to the engineer for improving about that.

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Jul 13, 2023 at 4:27 AM Post #2,263 of 2,559
Dear friend,

You could check whether the font size is set to big size in your mobile phone? We have also reported to the engineer for improving about that.

Best regards
Thank you, @FiiO and you are right. After setting the Font Size to a smaller size on my S23 Ultra, the text appeared correctly. I will return the font size to its previous size, though, because it appears too small for me now. Is it possible to adjust the text size automatically? I am not facing any similar (cut off) text issue with any other App on my phone.

Since I'm here, I'd like to further report that, since updating to 1.73, I did not have any other arbitrary reconnection of the UTWS5 to my phone. This issue has been resolved for me, and thank you @FiiO

Perhaps it's worth mentioning that my UTWS5 is not paired with any other device, I am not using Battery Protection, not using Game Mode, never used EQ, Ambient Sound is off and I'm not using LDAC, either, I've left it to aptX, because LDAC does not work.

Jul 13, 2023 at 10:08 AM Post #2,264 of 2,559
Sure. Assuming you have Snapdragon SoC (855 or newer, otherwise this wasn't there in the first place), go to "Developer options", scroll down to "Bluetooth Audio Codec" option. Do you see "aptX Adaptive" there? No? Well, Samsung removed it (this is not the only thing they removed, but the most visual one).
That's actually the reason why 990 kbps doesn't reliably work on Samsung phones.
The reason is Samsung's removal of the new hardware layer "Qualcomm Bluetooth High Speed Link", which offers data transfer rates of 2 to 6 Mbps. QHS is a prerequisite for the presence of AptX lossless

Jul 13, 2023 at 3:31 PM Post #2,265 of 2,559
The reason is Samsung's removal of the new hardware layer "Qualcomm Bluetooth High Speed Link", which offers data transfer rates of 2 to 6 Mbps. QHS is a prerequisite for the presence of AptX lossless
These specifications (or lack thereof) should be clearly disclosed on any advertising and phone literature, like the online user manual, in phone help, ect.
Had I known my Fold 3 is basically castrated by removing in chip available resources via software, I would not have bough it. And in fact, having this knowledge, will stop me from upgrading to the fold 5. Goodnight Samsung!

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back