[FiiO UTWS5] True Wireless Bluetooth Earhooks as Usual,Coupled with Independent AK4332 DAC
Jul 6, 2023 at 5:31 AM Post #2,221 of 2,563
So i tell my retailer about the drained battery issue and got a new UTWS5 as the old one is still under warranty. and behold, it behave exactly like before, whenever the pair is fully charged inside the case (light lit up), it turn on and connect to whatever device, or worse it will do BT scan until it drain to 0%. this on the long term will damage battery, please fix this urgently @FiiO

Jul 6, 2023 at 7:02 AM Post #2,222 of 2,563
hello,boys,does any knows how upgrade utws5 to firmware V1.71 ? im paired utws5 with iphone app and always update . now have v1.5 and app says that it use latest firmware,no any updates shows. im downloaded v1.71 firmware to laptop.
You absolutely do not need to update the firmware, the iPhone does not support the LDAC codec. Firmware 1.71 has no more advantages.

P. S. Sorry, I didn't read until the next message that you are using modules with the player.

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2023 at 8:39 AM Post #2,223 of 2,563
You absolutely do not need to update the firmware, the iPhone does not support the LDAC codec. Firmware 1.71 has no more advantages.

P. S. Sorry, I didn't read until the next message that you are using modules with the player.
im updated utws5 with iphone. but utws5 use with dap. currently use warm rich sounding ak sr25ii, but waiting shanling M7 got from headfi’ier for get more to neutral sound and bigger screen.

Jul 6, 2023 at 1:59 PM Post #2,224 of 2,563
So regarding my issue with the UTWS5 not turning on automatically and connecting when opening and removing the earhooks from the case, it seems I can workaround the issue by opening, closing and reopening the case at which point they connect automatically just fine.

But the majority of the time they fail to turn on/connect automatically on the first opening of the case.

Jul 6, 2023 at 4:20 PM Post #2,225 of 2,563
for first opening works V 1.4 version.
So regarding my issue with the UTWS5 not turning on automatically and connecting when opening and removing the earhooks from the case, it seems I can workaround the issue by opening, closing and reopening the case at which point they connect automatically just fine.

But the majority of the time they fail to turn on/connect automatically on the first opening of the case.

Jul 7, 2023 at 4:13 AM Post #2,226 of 2,563

After opening the cover, wait a couple of seconds until the small LEDs light up, then remove the modules and the modules will connect. I think they need time to wake up

(I also have in the morning, I don’t connect : ) , I need to wait)

Jul 7, 2023 at 5:26 AM Post #2,228 of 2,563
@FiiO was kind enough to provide me a new firmware, UTWS5_dfu_v1.73.bin, this morning in a PM here.

I have tested this new firmware for approx. 45 minutes and it seems to cure the UTWS5 reconnecting to the phone, while inside its closed case. It is very early, though, I will need 7 days to test this. But, so far, it seems to work. It does not reconnect or try to reconnect, when put inside its closed case.

The details
1) I am pairing my UTWS5 with only one smartphone, my Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra. So, no multipoint connectivity tested.
2) On this smartphone, I have also paired my Qudelix 5K, FiiO BTR7, iFi GO Pod, my Samsung Buds 2 Pro and my Garmin Forerunner 265 Music. Also, my Samsung Watch5 Pro is permanently connected.
3) For 45 minutes now, I have been using all the above, besides the Forerunner, alternatively, so listening to the UTWS5, putting them back in their case, then listening to the BTR7 and shutting it down, reconnecting the UTWS5, disconnecting and listening to the GO Pod, and like that. Each time the UTWS5 was placed into its case it disconnected from Bluetooth and stayed disconnected.
4) I updated the firmware locally and then unpaired, did a factory reset by holding the button for more than 12 seconds and restarted my phone.

I will need more days to test/check.

EDIT: @FiiO do you know why the firmware version appears half (cut off) on my phone? Any way I can fix this, please? I keep my phone to its default settings.

Attachments

• FiiO Control.jpg
    FiiO Control.jpg
    424.3 KB · Views: 0
  • FiiO Control1.jpg
    FiiO Control1.jpg
    141.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jul 7, 2023 at 5:36 AM Post #2,229 of 2,563
@FiiO was kind enough to provide me a new firmware, UTWS5_dfu_v1.73.bin, this morning in a PM here.

I have tested this new firmware for approx. 45 minutes and it seems to cure the UTWS5 reconnecting to the phone, while inside its closed case. It is very early, though, I will need 7 days to test this. But, so far, it seems to work. It does not reconnect or try to reconnect, when put inside its closed case.

The details
1) I am pairing my UTWS5 with only one smartphone, my Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra. So, no multipoint connectivity tested.
2) On this smartphone, I have also paired my Qudelix 5K, FiiO BTR7, iFi GO Pod, my Samsung Buds 2 Pro and my Garmin Forerunner 265 Music.
3) For 45 minutes now, I have been using all the above, besides the Forerunner, alternatively, so listening to the UTWS5, putting them back in their case, then listening to the BTR7 and shutting it down, reconnecting the UTWS5, disconnecting and listening to the GO Pod, and like that. Each time the UTWS5 was placed into its case it disconnected from Bluetooth and stayed disconnected.
4) I updated the firmware locally and then unpaired, did a factory reset by holding the button for more than 12 seconds and restarted my phone.
5) On this smartphone, I am listening to LDAC 990/909kbps. It sounds fine and the connection is solid in my environment.

I also hope to receive beta since the battery drain when in the case and its empty wheb I need to use utws5 is driving me nut

Jul 7, 2023 at 5:56 AM Post #2,232 of 2,563
Jul 7, 2023 at 8:53 AM Post #2,234 of 2,563

The details
2) On this smartphone, I have also paired my Qudelix 5K, FiiO BTR7, iFi GO Pod, my Samsung Buds 2 Pro and my Garmin Forerunner 265 Music. Also, my Samsung Watch5 Pro is permanently connected.

EDIT: @FiiO do you know why the firmware version appears half (cut off) on my phone? Any way I can fix this, please? I keep my phone to its default settings.
Wow, I was expecting the new firmware to be a few months away, thanks for the good news.
(It's the same for me, the firmware version is half cut off)

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2023 at 9:32 AM Post #2,235 of 2,563
One more update from me after a few hours of using the latest firmware. The UTWS5 seems to behave correctly, it has not reconnected to my phone after being placed inside its closed case. Actually, as soon as I place the ear hooks inside the case and they sit firmly, my UTWS5 disconnects from my phone, even with the case lid open.

Unfortunately, FiiO's experimental LDAC does not work properly with my S23 Ultra. For a couple of hours it was OK but then it started with artifacts, cracking sounds. I've set it to 990/909kbps, also to Balanced, I've also left it to Best Effort. All the same, artifacts and cracking sounds. Back to aptX, everything works great.

With my iFi GO Pod, I am listening every day using LDAC 990/909kbps fixed. It plays fantastic throughout my entire property, in different rooms and floors, without any disconnection, offering at least six (6) hours of playback time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back