[FiiO UTWS5] True Wireless Bluetooth Earhooks as Usual,Coupled with Independent AK4332 DAC
Jun 22, 2023 at 9:37 AM Post #2,176 of 2,559
Here's what happened to me just a few minutes, ago.

I was out and returned back home. I paired my Galaxy Buds2 Pro to my Galaxy S23 Ultra to take a call. The UTWS5 was left inside its closed case since last night. In the middle of the call, I lost sound. Because the UTWS5 has connected to my phone. Just like that, out of the blue, without touching it. I went into the Bluetooth Settings on the phone and disconnected it. A few seconds later, it connected again! Can you imagine that?! Without touching it at all!

That's FiiO craziness/daftness/absurdity for you.

Jun 22, 2023 at 10:36 AM Post #2,177 of 2,559

I was out and returned back home. I paired my Galaxy Buds2 Pro to my Galaxy S23 Ultra to take a call. The UTWS5 was left inside its closed case since last night. In the middle of the call, I lost sound. Because the UTWS5 has connected to my phone. Just like that, out of the blue, without touching it. I went into the Bluetooth Settings on the phone and disconnected it. A few seconds later, it connected again! Can you imagine that?! Without touching it at all!

Yeah, mine behaves exactly like that. I now unpair and pair again when needed. It’s a royal PITA but, better that having dead, no longer able to charge batteries.
units seating badly in the cradle has nothing to do with it. I switch the units off before i put them to charge and make sure both units are charging, as that, even after the updated design, still is, an issue with the UTWS5

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2023 at 3:21 PM Post #2,178 of 2,559
I just tested LDAC connection with my PC (using Qualcomm FastConnect 6900 wifi+BT card, sadly no QHS). 909/990kbps working fine, altho the first 10 secs after connected and playing a song will output noise, then the earhook seems to stabilize itself (radio recalibration?) and no issue after that, flawless audio.
I also played with the hacked SBC and can get it running at 984kbps.
Will test Intel AX210 later, to see if its anymore stable than Qualcomm......
1687461633681.png

Jun 23, 2023 at 11:19 PM Post #2,179 of 2,559
@FiiO This UTWS5 is still connecting to my phone while the units are in the charger and switched off before placing them there. Please fix the issue as I found the units today at 0% battery and that can’t be good in the long run.
Dear friend,

Please try to clean the charging pins before puting the units back to the charging case. If the issue keeps, please try to contact your seller or support@fiio.com for help.

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Jun 24, 2023 at 1:07 AM Post #2,180 of 2,559

Same here.
I also posted this issue on the FIIO forum. In my case, I downgraded to 1.5 and the problem no longer occurs.

Problem after update UTWS5 1.71FiiO Community| FiiO forum| FiiO product official communication platform

Jun 24, 2023 at 5:47 AM Post #2,182 of 2,559
I can confirm that this issue - the UTWS5 connecting to my phone while being inside its closed case - started with firmware 1.5 and continues with 1.71 firmware. I have 2 pairs of the UTWS5 for long time now and I do not recall having this issue before. Cleaning the charging pins might help temporarily but not in the long run. I never had to clean the pins before, anyway. Also, @FiiO suggesting us to contact the seller or FiiO Support, I am not sure how much it can help. For example, am I eligible for a replacement now that my 2 pairs of UTWS5 are out of Warranty?

If I am not eligible for a replacement, what else can FiiO Support suggest me? I've cleaned the pins, already.

I believe that your Engineer(s) should investigate this matter and determine what is causing the UTWS5 to reconnect to the smartphone when it is stored inside its closed case.

Jun 25, 2023 at 3:11 AM Post #2,183 of 2,559
They added Multipoint with that FW for both the UTWS5's and FW5's so that may be where to start looking but they continue to copy/paste the same "Clean the Pins" BS.

I clean all my earbuds/cases with 99% Isopropyl alcohol when I feel it is needed.

I post here as the issues are basically all the same and there are only a few members here with FW5's.

Jun 25, 2023 at 3:40 AM Post #2,184 of 2,559
I gave up. Got my iFi GO Pod yesterday and I find it brilliant, so far!

Actually, I am selling one of my UTWS5 for £50, UK only. If anyone is interested, PM me.

Jun 25, 2023 at 5:44 AM Post #2,185 of 2,559
I did a bunch of tests to see if it would connect to the smartphone when it was in the case.

1. In versions 1.4 and 1.71, the left and right earhooks connect to the smartphone as soon as charging is complete.

2. If you upgrade from 1.4 to 1.5, or downgrade from 1.71 to 1.5, the symptom is also present in 1.5. Resetting from the Fiio control app does not solve the symptom, put both earhooks into the case, press and hold the multi-function button on the case for more than 12 seconds, and repeat the reset 3-4 times, and the symptom will disappear.

3. In 1.4 and 1.71, the symptom persists even after repeating the initialization 3-4 times as above.

It took me several days to test this, because I can't tell if the symptom appears until it's fully charged. I hope Fiio will resolve this issue quickly.

I've used Fiio's earphones, BTR series, etc., but the UTWS5 is by far the most unstable and unreliable piece of equipment, and I'll be very disappointed if this issue isn't resolved.

Last edited:
Jun 25, 2023 at 3:47 PM Post #2,186 of 2,559
I did a bunch of tests to see if it would connect to the smartphone when it was in the case.

1. In versions 1.4 and 1.71, the left and right earhooks connect to the smartphone as soon as charging is complete.

2. If you upgrade from 1.4 to 1.5, or downgrade from 1.71 to 1.5, the symptom is also present in 1.5. Resetting from the Fiio control app does not solve the symptom, put both earhooks into the case, press and hold the multi-function button on the case for more than 12 seconds, and repeat the reset 3-4 times, and the symptom will disappear.

3. In 1.4 and 1.71, the symptom persists even after repeating the initialization 3-4 times as above.

It took me several days to test this, because I can't tell if the symptom appears until it's fully charged. I hope Fiio will resolve this issue quickly.

I've used Fiio's earphones, BTR series, etc., but the UTWS5 is by far the most unstable and unreliable piece of equipment, and I'll be very disappointed if this issue isn't resolved.
@nemurini, I'm on 1.71.
If I downgrade to 1.5 and reset 3-4 times, can it solve the self-connect issue?

Jun 26, 2023 at 2:11 AM Post #2,188 of 2,559
LDAC has been excellent... really loving it.

But holy hell, these other issues with with the earhooks connecting to phone while they are supposed to be TURNED OFF inside of the case is really annoying. It steals the connection from other bluetooth devices if you are actively listening to something on a bluetooth speaker or bluetooth in the car.

On top of that, I seem to have a new issue where I take the earhooks out of the case as I normally do to listen to them and for some reason they do not TURN ON automatically like they usually do. Quite often now I have to manually press the button on the side of the earhook to turn them on until I hear the voice prompt telling me they were just powered on. The earhooks still charge fine and I don't seem to be having the issue that some have described of having the earhooks battery drained to 0.

FiiO, you keep throwing out your usual advice of cleaning the contacts but I think it's time to admit that dirty contacts is simply not the problem.

The fact that your engineers can't reproduce a problem that EVERYONE here seems to be experiencing is just... mindblowing?

One way I can usually reproduce the issue is by putting the earhooks inside of the case and on the charger (I use a wireless charging pad). While they are charging on the wireless charger, usually they will connect to my phone (which SHOULD NOT be happening, as they should be powered off).

Surely you guys can reproduce something like that. It simply has to be a firmware issue of some kind.

Jun 26, 2023 at 5:19 AM Post #2,189 of 2,559
LDAC has been excellent... really loving it.

But holy hell, these other issues with with the earhooks connecting to phone while they are supposed to be TURNED OFF inside of the case is really annoying. It steals the connection from other bluetooth devices if you are actively listening to something on a bluetooth speaker or bluetooth in the car.

On top of that, I seem to have a new issue where I take the earhooks out of the case as I normally do to listen to them and for some reason they do not TURN ON automatically like they usually do. Quite often now I have to manually press the button on the side of the earhook to turn them on until I hear the voice prompt telling me they were just powered on. The earhooks still charge fine and I don't seem to be having the issue that some have described of having the earhooks battery drained to 0.

FiiO, you keep throwing out your usual advice of cleaning the contacts but I think it's time to admit that dirty contacts is simply not the problem.

The fact that your engineers can't reproduce a problem that EVERYONE here seems to be experiencing is just... mindblowing?

One way I can usually reproduce the issue is by putting the earhooks inside of the case and on the charger (I use a wireless charging pad). While they are charging on the wireless charger, usually they will connect to my phone (which SHOULD NOT be happening, as they should be powered off).

Surely you guys can reproduce something like that. It simply has to be a firmware issue of some kind.
When I took the UTWS5 out of the case, the reason it wouldn't power on seemed to be that it would power off at idle time after connecting with the smartphone despite being in the case.

In the end, the issue of powering on and connecting with the smartphone when in the case seems to be the cause of all the problems.

Jun 26, 2023 at 5:56 AM Post #2,190 of 2,559
Today I took the adapters out of the case and they were 0% and 4%. The case was full charged, the contacts were clean (I clean them every time I put them in the case), the adapters were previously powered off, the leds on the case were on after insertion. No doubt this is the buggiest hardware I've ever owned.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back