[FiiO UTWS5] True Wireless Bluetooth Earhooks as Usual,Coupled with Independent AK4332 DAC
Jun 19, 2023 at 3:50 AM Post #2,161 of 2,559
First of all, we would like to express our gratitude to the Qualcomm QCC team and the SONY LDAC team for their technical support to us, and to our internal test users for their long-term test feedback and tolerance. After our engineers' persistent efforts, our TWS products, UTWS5 and FW5, can eventually support the Bluetooth codec, LDAC!

Another good news is that the just-released HiFi TrueWireless Bluetooth earbuds FW3 will also be supporting LDAC. It is currently in the final testing phase, and is expected to be released next week. Early adopters can upgrade the firmware to enjoy Bluetooth music through LDAC.

The two firmwares released this time are just for experience. Due to differences in the connected devices, there may be disconnection, sound stutter and other problems. Please read the “Firmware Explanation” carefully in the following text before upgrading. If it affects the experience, please revert to the previous version.

UTWS5 firmware upgrade instruction: Click here (only supports Local Upgrade)
UTWS5 firmware link: Click here

FW5 firmware upgrade instruction: Click here (only supports Local Upgrade)
FW5 firmware link: Click here

Notes:
(1) If the new firmware affects the experience, you can revert to the previous firmware version. Download it at the above link.
(2) After the successful upgrade, please reset the device.
Reset the FW5: Hold the button with a raised dot on the earbud
Reset the UTWS5: Put the two ear hooks inside the charging case. Close the case and reopen it, and then hold the button on the case for about 12s.

Firmware Introduction
Since LDAC requires extremely high transmission bandwidth, and TWS earbuds contain double wireless units which require double the bandwidth to transmit two channels simultaneously, we can only guarantee that the firmware released this time supports LDAC in some devices instead of perfectly being compatible with all. So please decide whether to upgrade or not based on your needs. If it affects your experience, it is suggested to revert to the previous stable version.

After updating the firmware, please enable LDAC on FiiO Control App->Select Bluetooth codec before using LDAC Bluetooth codec (LDAC Bluetooth codec is off by default.) If the output audio is not stable when using the LDAC for the first time, please reset the FW5/UTWS5.

Devices supporting Snapdragon Sound are suggested to upgrade the firmware
According to our technical analysis and user feedback, phones with Qualcomm processors that support snapdragon sound can better support LDAC.

Snapdragon Sound includes high-bandwidth technology QHS and TrueWireless Mirroring technology.

QHS (Qualcomm High Speed) is Qualcomm’s new Bluetooth wireless transmission program. By modifying the Bluetooth protocol, and optimizing the modulation system, transmission of packet loss, and information integration, it maximizes the Bluetooth transmission bandwidth to up to 6Mbps, and the effective bandwidth to 1 ~ 1.2Mbps, so as to provide more space for audio transmission. Therefore, it can meet the high bit rate transmission of 990kbps of LDAC.

TrueWireless Mirroring technology solves the problem of traditional Bluetooth audio transmission technology that requires relay forwarding, which will occupy double the Bluetooth bandwidth.

Check out if your mobile phone supports Snapdragon Sound here:
https://www.aptx.com/product-listing?aptx_type=766

If the device does not support Snapdragon Sound or the upgrade is unstable, it is suggested to revert the firmware

The current main problems with phones that do not support Snapdragon Sound are as follows:
(1) Do not support 990kbps bitrate;
(2) Stutter may occur when listening to music in LDAC adaptive mode;
(3) Muteness may occur when listening to music.

At this time, you can set the bitrate to 330kbps or 660kbps in the developer options to ensure the stability of audio playback. If there is still stutter or muteness, please hold the physical button with a raised dot on the earbud for about 8s, and then reset the two earbuds and reconnect them.

If the above measures still can not enable LDAC codec normally, please go to the Settings - Bluetooth code menu in the App to disable LDAC, or revert the firmware to the previously stable firmware.

We are very glad that we succeeded in improving the sound quality with LDAC for most TWS users, and also very guilty for not being able to solve the compatibility issue of LDAC for all connected devices. We promise we will keep working with Qualcomm and Sony to optimize the Bluetooth firmware and LDAC codec, trying our best to improve user experience.

Thank you so much for your support to FiiO! If you have any questions or suggestions about the firmware upgrade, please feel free to reach us out.

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Jun 19, 2023 at 4:11 AM Post #2,163 of 2,559
Thanks FiiO. Now I don't have to shell out money on the overpriced iFi product which seems to be having all sorts of problems for double the cost, lol.

Jun 19, 2023 at 9:04 AM Post #2,165 of 2,559
Can I ask what the differences are with v2 so I know which version i'm buying as not all sellers specify
The charging pins (and the associated magnets) location have changed. V1 has 3 pins lineup together in the lower end of the adapter while V2 has one pin on upper end and one pin on the lower end of the adapter. The rest (operation, SQ and performance) is the same.

Jun 19, 2023 at 9:09 AM Post #2,166 of 2,559
another happy sharing from utws5 user!

the fiio control app said my utws5 is running the latest ver firmware and offered no upgrade. i manually download the file and upgraded to v1.71 instead. the process went through swiftly and the devices reconnected by itself. but after i switched to LDAC in the bluetooth menu (using zfold 4), a lot of white noise coming through. i went to Bluetooth Codec Changer app and cycled back to aptx then playback became normal again. i then cycled back to ldac again and everything played normally till now for about 30mins. it's really exciting that ldac finally coming to utws5! the fiio control app did warn the LDAC implementation is an experimental function though.

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2023 at 10:48 AM Post #2,167 of 2,559
The M17 was bad with artefacts from the start, LDAC was unusable at any bit rate.
With LDAC experimental firmware disabled, it has been working at full beans listening to 96/24 albums for over an hour now.
I shall try the Fold 3 latter on this evening. But for now, experimental LDAC firmware, seems to be the root of the problem.

***EDIT***
It is 17:15 (UK Time) After 2 hour-ish of playing on the M17, we have electrostatic artefacts, and cracking noises with intermittent on-off sound.
Fold 3 won’t let me select LDAC unless experimental firmware is enabled. It has stater well but, I am expecting a gradual deterioration of sound at the half hour-ish nark.
hopefully, the public release of this promising firmware will have all these bugs ironed out.

***EDIT #2***
It is 21:18 in the UK.
The Fold 3 has been transmitting LDAC to the UTWS5 at full beans with no issues for nearly 4 hours nonstop.
I was out of range once and it needed manual reconnection, but that has been the only issue so far. I seldom listen or need wireless for that long a time so, it’s a pass with the F3.
With the M17, the UTWS5 can’t reliably play at full beans with neither LDAC or LHDC, it is stable in balanced with both (experimental firmware off) and so, it gets a C-

***EDIT#3***
6 hours in, and the UTWS5 battery has gone down to 5%. Very stable with the Fold 3, a couple of glitches that reconnecting sorted out.
M17 is a bit of a mystery, specially LHDC, I will revert to 1.5 to test it and report back tomorrow.

PS: I followed all advice given by FiiO to achieve this.

*** Update #4*** Tuesday 20th.

Not one to give up easily, I have tried everything I know to get my pesky M17 on friendly terms with LDAC. LHDC is still working as before, it always goes back to balanced and it is stable there. Forcing full beans via the codec changer app makes things very unstable at any resolution with both codecs, so I decided to uninstall it. LDAC keeps its setting even after rebooting and so, it is not needed.

I downgraded the UTWS5 to 1.5 and reinstalled 1.71, performed a restore to factory defaults, did a full reset as advised by FiiO and paired the units as a new connection. The M17 transmitted LDAC at full beans to the UTWS5 until the battery went down to 10% at which point, I disconnected the units to charge.
Happy now

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2023 at 9:52 AM Post #2,168 of 2,559
That's really cool. The only problem would be to buy such a wifi/bluetooth card. I can't find WCN7851 (FastConnect 7800) and/or WCN6856 anywhere.
"NFA765" on Taobao for WCN6856. 7851 will come out later (NCM865)

I just want to be sure I get this right.

Because the NFA765 (WCN6856) contains FastConnect 6900, if I install it in my desktop I will have AptX Adaptive and LE Audio on my PC?

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2023 at 10:47 AM Post #2,169 of 2,559
Jun 20, 2023 at 4:03 PM Post #2,170 of 2,559
So far so good with 1.71 on UTWS5 with a Sony Xperia 1 iii. I've not had any issues at 990/909 LDAC as long as I'm not trying to use multipoint at the same time. I have to drop it back to 660/606 to make audio stop dropping out when I'm connected to my laptop also. Not ideal, but I can work with that.

My issues with them losing EQ after charging in the case seems to have been resolved as well.

Nice work Fiio. Thank you for this update!

Jun 21, 2023 at 10:20 AM Post #2,171 of 2,559
@FiiO This UTWS5 is still connecting to my phone while the units are in the charger and switched off before placing them there. Please fix the issue as I found the units today at 0% battery and that can’t be good in the long run.

Jun 21, 2023 at 10:29 AM Post #2,172 of 2,559
@FiiO This UTWS5 is still connecting to my phone while the units are in the charger and switched off before placing them there. Please fix the issue as I found the units today at 0% battery and that can’t be good in the long run.

There usually means the adapters are not sitting correctly inside the cradle to receive power (or it could also means the cradle has run out of battery). Can you confirm you see all three LED are 'breathing' when you connect them to a charger?

Jun 22, 2023 at 5:17 AM Post #2,173 of 2,559
Same thing happen with my unit for months since purchase. Even after update to 1.71
@FiiO this need to be fixed!

Jun 22, 2023 at 5:23 AM Post #2,174 of 2,559
Same thing happen with my unit for months since purchase. Even after update to 1.71
Same thing is happening to me. I gave up.

Jun 22, 2023 at 7:21 AM Post #2,175 of 2,559

Same thing is happening to me. I gave up.
Same problem for me! Both utes5 and utws3 are having the danger issues. Senn mtw3 also suffering from this problem and drained itself dead. Mtw3 is even worst that once it's drained, it couldn't recover even charged again. I already replaced 2 mtw3 right side bud.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back